Beano Story at The Works

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Beano Story at The Works

Post by philcom55 »

A few years ago I would have bought a book like this when it came out without a second thought - not least to encourage more such publications in the future. These days I'm afraid it's simple penury that forces me to watch the pennies so carefully, while constantly remembering Mr. Micawber's famous calculation:
'Income twenty pounds, expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and sixpence, result: happiness. Income twenty pounds, expenditure twenty pounds and a penny, result: misery!'
...On the other hand, the hefty price tags of some recently solicited high-quality Limited Editions of classic work by Lawrence, Bellamy, Hampson and Embleton suggest that there are still a significant number of people in this country with eye-watering amounts of loose cash to throw around.

- Phil Rushton

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

If there was going to be one, it would have been done for the 70th birthday. It's possible for the 75th, but I wouldn't think even Morris Heggie holds out much hope of that.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Phil: on the rare occassion when I did shell out 35 quid for a book, it likely meant I starved for that particular week!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:If there was going to be one, it would have been done for the 70th birthday. It's possible for the 75th, but I wouldn't think even Morris Heggie holds out much hope of that.
If they even make it to that anniversary in December 2012. :xfingers: The last set of sales figures for Dandy Xtreme was worryingly low.

skidbum1

Post by skidbum1 »

They have these at book shop near Victoria station in London for £12.99 - I'm very tempted to get one. Does anyone know where they are in London for £9.99?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I got The History of the Beano a couple of years ago, in 2008, not that long after it was released. It's an excellent book and should appeal to anyone who has ever read the comic.

Unfortunately I don't know how much my edition cost, as I was given it as a present.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

skidbum1 wrote:They have these at a book shop near Victoria station in London for £12.99 - I'm very tempted to get one. Does anyone know where they are in London for £9.99?
Do an Oscar Wilde. He claimed he could resist anything except temptation. Actually I cannot believe you are quibbling over £3, skidbum. Even assuming there is a copy anywhere in London for £9.99, getting at it will cost you more than £3 in petrol or a ticket on the underground. I don't know about the costs with an Oyster card but more criminal than wasting your money would be the sheer waste of your time. Pay the £12.99 and use the time you will be saving for reading the book.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The Beano Story still isn't any cheaper - but I did get a copy of Charley's War Volume 6 from another branch of The Works today for £1.99. :) (unfortunately it was the only copy! )

- Phil Rushton

blaing

Post by blaing »

I recently got my copy (naturally from Amazon.co.uk ;) ) for sixteen pounds. (which, including shipping and handling (around 25 pounds total) set me back about $45 dollars.

A similar tome like History of The Beano would retail here for around $100. :shock:

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I am surprised that so many of you don't have this book. Its everything a comic collecting nutcase could wish for and with the price falling then i'd snap em up if I did not already have them!

Am I wrong in thinking that when a book gets as far as 'The Works' then its all the copies they could not originally sell? And if so I think this would put the creation of a possible 'Dandy' edition into question?

They should do all the other comics (Beezer, Topper, Dandy etc etc) in one volume and call it 'funny papers' or something, half the characters from the comics migrated from paper to paper anyway and it would be nice to see all the lesser known papers side by side, lets face it were not going to see 'History of Nutty' volume ever are we? It would still be nice to it as part of an overall story of DC Thomsons kids papers, what you think?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good idea in theory, but if History of The Beano had poor sales (perhaps due to a lack of high street presence? I only ever found it in one shop) then would it sell?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

There is definately enough quality material in the archives to assemble decent single-volume sets of DANDY BEEZER and TOPPER.i]

Sadly, I feel there is not enough demand from the public to justify putting out these works.

well, maybe DANDY, but I'm not holding my breath.

Steve Henderson

I saw it in loads of shops Digi WHSmiths Waterstones and all them were quite fully supplied were Im from in Yorkshire, and yeah that was a sort of silly wish after commenting on how its unlikely to happen! Shame!

Your right about being enough quality material ISPY but its a question of there being enough buyers!

I have heard of some record companys getting fans to pledge to buy a copy of a special edition record and if a certain amount of people buy them (so they can see if theres an interest) they go ahead and press the records if only DC Thomson would do the same with some of the ideas we have on here, we would all love it! I would get them straight on that Complete Jonah idea from ages ago! Wishful thinking eh

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

WHSmith had it? There are four branches in Hull and I didn't see it in any of them... Waterstones is the one shop I found it in, but I bought it online.

Steve Henderson

Waterstones is owned by WHSmiths so there a surprise that it wasn't supplied