Beano Story at The Works

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Beano Story at The Works

Post by Digifiend »

No it isn't, Waterstones is owned by HMV.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

SPOTTED: £15 in most Tescos in Scotland!

I have been lucky enough to be working in Scotland for the last few weeks in Tesco stores (I do their uniforms) and every one of them have the book on their shelves £15 is a bargain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

This book is two years old now. Did they reprint it or something? I wouldn't expect it to suddenly turn up in Tesco when it's already been in a discount bookshop like The Works.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I cannot tell, they are in the 'Local books' section with them being all Scottish and that. So not hanging out of a bargain bin or anything. Has anyone spotted them in England?

Incidentally someone told me that her brother works for DC Thomson and they are closing a lot of their offices off. I don't know if she was talking rubbish or not, this was in Glasgow but she said it may effect the Dundee offices. Hopefully its a rumour (well if it wasn't before it is now I have spread it :lol: ) so dont take it seriously, just stick it on the bottom of the 'DEATH OF THE BEANO AND DANDY' stories that began shortly after issue 1 of the comic was released.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Death? The closest the Beano has come to folding must be World War II. Being only a year old at the start of war, it was lucky not to be a victim of one of mass culls (Thomson's did well overall in fact, I'm only aware of Skipper and Magic being casualties, whereas Amalgamated Press and other publishers lost lots of titles). Dandy of course had a few major revamps in the last decade to help stave off their demise, as low sales must've come close to killing it off. I can't wait to see how the latest revamp affected sales. Hopefully a big improvement.

Closing offices? They did already eliminate their printing works, outsourcing it (causing a page size reduction for The Beano, BeanoMAX and The Dandy, and the demise of the Fun-Sizes and Classics from the Comics), so I'm afraid that wouldn't surprise me. Of course, they'll need a few less editorial teams since a few publications have been ended recently.

Young Freddy

Post by Young Freddy »

I know this is slightly off topic, but anyone else notice errors in the Beano artists section?
Stuff like 'Graeme Hill' instead of 'Graeme Hall' And 'Wayne Thomson' Instead of 'Wayne Thompson'? Not to mention Davy law being the only Dennis The Menace artist credited.
You can read my latest ramblings at my brand new BLOG, or you can have a peak at some of my illustrations and comics on my DEVIANTART page!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Young Freddy wrote:I know this is slightly off topic, but anyone else notice errors in the Beano artists section?
Stuff like 'Graeme Hill' instead of 'Graeme Hall' And 'Wayne Thomson' Instead of 'Wayne Thompson'? Not to mention Davy law being the only Dennis The Menace artist credited.
More to the point, Young Freddy, what are you doing out of bed at four o'clock in the morning? You obviously need more sleep because you have forgotten that you made these points earlier on The Beano thread. Someone is going to have to have a word with Old Freddy about this.

Young Freddy

Post by Young Freddy »

Oh lol :D
I just thought it kinda suited both threads. Wayne was complaining about people spelling his name wrong in a different thread, so its hard to believe DC thomson did it too.
You can read my latest ramblings at my brand new BLOG, or you can have a peak at some of my illustrations and comics on my DEVIANTART page!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:Young Freddy, what are you doing out of bed at four o'clock in the morning?
It was five o'clock. You need to set Daylight Savings Time in the User Control Panel.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

That one hour time difference here bugs me but even when I go to User Control Panel there is nothing to indicate how to change the time setting - more info appreciated.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:It was five o'clock. You need to set Daylight Savings Time in the User Control Panel.
Time is of the essence, Digi, so I don't want to be spending very much of it trying to decide whether it is 4 o'clock or 5. The only exception I can think of is if I have a train to catch because it would not be very sensible to turn up at 5 for the 4 o'clock.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:That one hour time difference here bugs me but even when I go to User Control Panel there is nothing to indicate how to change the time setting - more info appreciated.
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Summer Time/DST is in effect: Yes No.

You're right that it should be clearer - in fact why does it not just change automatically like on other message boards?