Gremlins and Steve Bell: A Query...

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Gremlins and Steve Bell: A Query...

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... -back.html

Well you've really made my day..thank you both..

what great 3D mazes very difficult to draw!!
and writing the speech bubble for back to front man!

http://petergraysukcomicartists.blogspo ... 0Baxendale
With thanks and apologies to Leo Baxendale? One problem there. Baxendale doesn't own any of the characters shown - DC Thomson does. It's the publisher who should've been credited.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Here are some examples of Gremlins, including the first episode, a "poster" in Jackpot 1979 Summer Special and some nice random pages. The strip ran in Jackpot issues 1 to 105 (1979 - 1981).
Last edited by klakadak-ploobadoof on 03 Jul 2011, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

blaing

Post by blaing »

Well done, klakadak-ploobadoof :cheers:

Haven't read Gremlins in years.

I'm now more than ever looking forward to my issues of Jackpot that I bought on e-bay recently.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Digi: I think Leo Baxendale tried to take D C Thomson to court to try and get back-royalty payments on chatacters he almost certainly co-created. He claims to have dreamed up the Bash Street Kids all on his own , for example,---and this is entirely possible------but whether the concept was suggested to him by DCT is not clear.

As far as I remember, an out-of-court settlement was the result, with Baxendale recieving ---and in all likelihood continuing to recieve------a royalty deal on the BEANO brand that feature his co-creations. D C T obviously have their name on the overall copyright, however.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Love the seaside one is that from a summer special?

I remember discovering the Gremlins in Jackpot when it was a rainy day and we had to stay in class.so out came the box with old comics like Plug and Jackpot ..which was great new discovery for me..then of course Big comic introduced it even more..

Wished Steve Bell drew more comic pages..he was good..

blaing

Post by blaing »

another Gremlins strip (this time from my vaults and recent blog post)