Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Comics on TV

Post by stevezodiac »

Watching Gideon's Way on Talking Pictures. A boy was reading a Charlton comic Battlefield Action. Unusually the camera zoomed in on the masthead as a dramatic scene closure.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On talksport just now Georgie Bingham said she won a pound from Whizzer and Chips when she was six which would have been around 1982.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I've been catching a few of those "Classic Coronation Street" on ITV3 from the late 80s - much better than the current misery fest turn-off that Corrie and the other soaps are today (to me they trivialise a lot of serious issues too). Back in the day when Corrie had humour and was about characters and how they react to situations. (I never saw these originally in the 80s - perhaps from having snobbish parents from very humble backgrounds).

Anyhow, I have been noticing a few old comics in the background of The Kabin - in an 87 episode I saw a copy of "Nikki" with "The Comp" strip on its cover, plus a "Judy". Another time in 88 I spotted a "Thundercats" (or something like it) comic. Recently saw a "Look-In" annual on display. Back in the days of Rita's Kabin, with Mavis assisting her (and Rita's relationship with Alan Bradley going on, and Mavis getting with Derek).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

DavidKW wrote:I've been catching a few of those "Classic Coronation Street" on ITV3 from the late 80s - much better than the current misery fest turn-off that Corrie and the other soaps are today (to me they trivialise a lot of serious issues too). Back in the day when Corrie had humour and was about characters and how they react to situations. (I never saw these originally in the 80s - perhaps from having snobbish parents from very humble backgrounds).

Anyhow, I have been noticing a few old comics in the background of The Kabin - in an 87 episode I saw a copy of "Nikki" with "The Comp" strip on its cover, plus a "Judy". Another time in 88 I spotted a "Thundercats" (or something like it) comic. Recently saw a "Look-In" annual on display. Back in the days of Rita's Kabin, with Mavis assisting her (and Rita's relationship with Alan Bradley going on, and Mavis getting with Derek).
im watching those at the moment too but have over 100 still to watch now on my sky box lol but i like to study the kabin scenes for comics too

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

In Jonathan Meades On Jargon on BBC4, Sunday 27th May, a section on football jargon was illustrated with comic strip images, I think produced specially for the show.

It's still available through the usual catch-up services, and I assume it will be repeated at some point.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Recently saw a "Classic Coronation Street" where there was a "Roy Of The Rovers" in the Kabin and Rita whacked Mavis with a pile of "Look-In" with the Cookie Crew featured on the back collect a page.

But before that came a good line relating to comics:
Martin Platt and Jenny Bradley are talking about how dozy Derek Wilton wants Mavis to stop working in the Kabin as it would affect his image for the executive role at work he thinks he'll get. Martin comments - I think it was - "What image? Walter from The Beano's Dennis The Menace?"

Ah the days when Corrie had good killer lines, and humour, unlike today's depressing issue trivialising melodrama its become.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

The new Doctor Who series 11 teaser featured Bradley Walsh's character having his newspaper replaced with the 1981 beano summer special.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

And it's the same issue (and probably same prop) used 5 years ago in The episode The Rings of Akhenton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Watching Put your money where you mouth is. Two large Beano and Dandy cover framed prints were bought as was a framed print of Amazing Fantasy 15 cover. Beano and Dandy covers looked like 1980s issues.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here they are.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Another without hands:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Next Wednesday on the Apprentice the candidates are tasked with creating a brand new comic for children. I've never watched it but may tune in if I remember.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I just did an alert on The Apprentice yesterday as a seperate blog!

I stopped watching the show a while back but will tune in to see this. Should be interesting!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've never seen Midsomer Murders but this Sunday's episode features a comic convention and the murder of a supermodel. The only clue is in some stolen comics.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

On Youtube, there's a 1949 British film called Stop Press Girl..
There are two newspapers in it, the Morning Sun and the Evening Comet.
Also in 1949, Associated Press took over the comics Comet and Sun.
This is probably a coincidence, but it's quite a big coincidence