Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:I wonder what we could swap for it :?:
I think Manchester United would be an appropriate swap. The richest club in the world in exchange for a priceless tapestry. We would have the better deal and they would have more chance of success in the French Ligue. Not that I'm a fan of Manchester United of course. Heaven forbid! I'd rather they played in some place like China to be honest because then they wouldn't cross my mind at all, although I suppose it's possible that The Guardian would have one of their reporters out there just to disturb my reading of the sports section on Mondays.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:The tapestry coming over is really awesome tbh. I think they'll be utterly enormous interest. Probably the most significant historical artifact for this countries history.

I'm actually very surprised that the french would even consider letting it leave France - we have a great reputation that once we have stuff it never leaves these shores again...
I have to agree that I'm really surprised they've agreed to it, especially with Brexit etc.

I wonder if we loaned the Elgin Marbles back to Greece, whether we'd ever see them here again!? I can't wait for the tapestry to be on show and I bet every school in the country will be trying to arrange visits!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Seeing the real tapestry would be awesome of course, but there is an excellent copy that can be seen in the Reading Museum - same size, everything reproduced amazingly precisely by a team of Victorian needlewomen. Well worth seeing in its own right.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

comixminx wrote:Seeing the real tapestry would be awesome of course, but there is an excellent copy that can be seen in the Reading Museum - same size, everything reproduced amazingly precisely by a team of Victorian needlewomen. Well worth seeing in its own right.
I didn't know that. Thank you! I'm planning a visit to Reading to check out the comic shop recommended by Richard S, now along with lunch with an old friend, I have the seeds for a good day out!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

comixminx wrote:Seeing the real tapestry would be awesome of course, but there is an excellent copy that can be seen in the Reading Museum - same size, everything reproduced amazingly precisely by a team of Victorian needlewomen. Well worth seeing in its own right.
Not everything is reproduced... didn’t they add on undergarments to assorted figures so as not to embarrass Victorian sentiments?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

That reminds me of an early seventies ad for the Please Sir! feature film. In some comics the original ad was shown with Sharon in figure hugging hot pants but in others a black skirt was drawn on her.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

My partner thinks it was one figure rather than various, and apparently because the Victorian needlewomen were working from a facsimile provided by the South Kensington Museum, which had already been bowdlerised. So, yes and no, but you’re right: not an absolutely exact facsimile it’s true!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I hope everyone is enjoying the Laurel and Hardy re-runs on the Talking Pictures channel. This tea time they are showing Helpmates which is very funny. In one scene Stan is in bed covered with newspaper pages and you can see the cartoons from the Sunday Funnies section. The film is in black and white so it's not easy to spot. Maybe someone can identify the strip!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On storage Wars Texas last night one of the regulars won a unit containing two boxes of vintage Mad magazines - the first 59 issues I think. He took them to a Mad Magazine expert. He said if they had been mint he'd be looking at $25,000 but said this set was worth about $2000.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:I hope everyone is enjoying the Laurel and Hardy re-runs on the Talking Pictures channel. This tea time they are showing Helpmates which is very funny. In one scene Stan is in bed covered with newspaper pages and you can see the cartoons from the Sunday Funnies section. The film is in black and white so it's not easy to spot. Maybe someone can identify the strip!
I've never even noticed The Talking Pictures Channel before. Just had a quick look and there's some great stuff coming up. I'll have to watch 'The Rocking Horse Winner' coming up soon.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

They were in the paper today as one person complained to offcom about a racist remark heard in an episode of a family at war. Heaven help the complainant if they should come across some wartime comics :)

Talking Pictures is owned and run by just three people. A woman, her husband and her father. Paul Ross interviewed the woman on his Talk Radio show a couple of weeks ago.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

She was on talk radio again at 3am this morning.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Just noticed this. The TV ad for the new Eagle in 1982:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWK6nThxdQ

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:She was on talk radio again at 3am this morning.
Is there a narrow window at some point during the night, Steve, when you actually get some sleep?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I sleep with speech radio playing on my clock radio. Maybe my subconscious wakes me up when there is something I need to hear. And I'm at that age where there is one nocturnal need to have a Jimmy riddle. Funnily enough last night I dreamt I was buying handfuls of old comics off a market stall. A couple were newspaper's display copies with the titles clearly visible but of course I cannot remember them now.

I remember when tv ads for comics were quite regular.