The Best of Victor is out!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

The Best of Victor is out!

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've just received my copy of the hardback book The Best of The Victor from Amazon. It's packed with a superb collection of various Victor strips that I'm sure will delight many people here. - And there's even a nostalgic free gift!

I'll review it sometime this week on my blog when I get time.

Digifiend

Re: The Best of Victor is out!

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, noticed it in WHSmith yesterday. It's on a buy one get one half price promotion, which applies to all humour books (strange category for it, but it's even labelled as humour next to the bar code on the back cover!). The online price is £10.53, about a third off.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

You mean somebody has said "we're going to release an annual with adventure comic reprints" and then done it? :shock:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yep. But how long before it ends up in the bargain shops? If you want to see more of the same, better hope that doesn't happen in a hurry.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Given that the pages were probably shot from comics rather than original art I was surprised at the sharpness of reproduction which seems far better than Prion's usual fare. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that even the B&W sections seem to be printed in full colour. I normally dislike the practice of deliberately distressing reprints but here the 'woodpulp' effect is surprisingly subtle, which makes it easy to feel you are looking at a genuine 1960s product (a feeling that is also enhanced by the free 'banger': a genuinely inspired touch! )

- Phil Rushton

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:Given that the pages were probably shot from comics rather than original art I was surprised at the sharpness of reproduction which seems far better than Prion's usual fare. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that even the B&W sections seem to be printed in full colour. I normally dislike the practice of deliberately distressing reprints but here the 'woodpulp' effect is surprisingly subtle, which makes it easy to feel you are looking at a genuine 1960s product (a feeling that is also enhanced by the free 'banger': a genuinely inspired touch! )

- Phil Rushton
Yes, it works really well. The whole book evokes the feel of those old comics. I'm relieved that it's not printed on glossy paper.
Digifiend wrote:Yes, noticed it in WHSmith yesterday. It's on a buy one get one half price promotion, which applies to all humour books (strange category for it, but it's even labelled as humour next to the bar code on the back cover!). The online price is £10.53, about a third off.
It's cheaper than that on Amazon.

I presume it's labeled 'gift/humour' for the benefit of retailers so they don't put it with the children's annuals. If it's shelved alongside the latest Steve Bell book or Fred Basset or whatever (like the Eagle Annual reprints were) then it's more likely to be seen by its potential adult audience.

Also, it will be perceived as a humour book by the general public, in a post-modern kind of way. This is how the trade marketed those Jackie books and it worked. Non-fans will buy books on such comics if it's presented with a wink and a smile (hence the free gift) rather than as a studious historical tome. Well, hopefully anyway!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think there's a new Jackie book for this year as well, which proves they are continuing to find an audience.

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I did see a Jackie book next to the Victor one, but didn't know if it was new or not.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I normally dislike the practice of deliberately distressing reprints but here the 'woodpulp' effect is surprisingly subtle,
It better be, those Eagle books went right back on the shelf when i saw what had been done to them! I only own one Eagle but it's in "better condition" than those books were!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My local Smiths has about 4 copies - I looked through it but it is not for me i'm afraid. Very expensive book of reprint pages. Would have liked some more text. I can look at the originals for free. Here is the silver Jubilee issue I came across recently:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Don't suppose there are any credits in there?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Credits? No. There is a 60 question Victor quiz but it is very difficult. Surprised there was not a page about the history of Victor with some cover repros but they didn't bother.

BTW I'm not knocking the best of Victor volume, its just that i don't have a scrap of space for large books that I don't really need. Its a very nice production and I hope it sells tons.

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

I ordered mine from Amazon back when they were 50% off. For me at least this is the best version of all these reprint books.

I was never a massive Victor buyer. It tended to be an occasional purchase if I had any pocket money left rather than a must buy like 2000AD and the Marvel weeklies.

I wonder if the likes of Warlord or even older books like Lion have any chance of this kind of treatment any time soon?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

presterjohn wrote: I wonder if the likes of Warlord or even older books like Lion have any chance of this kind of treatment any time soon?

Don't hold your breath for a Lion collection. IPC don't seem to be doing anything with their archive material at present. Hopefully one day they will, but the nostalgia market for most of their old pre-1970 comics just isn't there any more.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Credits? No. There is a 60 question Victor quiz but it is very difficult. Surprised there was not a page about the history of Victor with some cover repros but they didn't bother.

BTW I'm not knocking the best of Victor volume, its just that i don't have a scrap of space for large books that I don't really need. Its a very nice production and I hope it sells tons.
I wonder if that is the same quiz that was published in issue 1305 {kindly illustrated by Steve} :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!