Favourite Covers (and story illustrations)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Favourite Covers (and story illustrations)

Post by colcool007 »

It's not Ian Kennedy or Keith Shone. The faces are all wrong for his style. I am thinking it could be Watson, but I haven't got his style burned into my brain yet.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

colcool007 wrote:It's not Ian Kennedy or Keith Shone. The faces are all wrong for his style. I am thinking it could be Watson, but I haven't got his style burned into my brain yet.
I'm leaning more towards Jim Watson, having just looked at his work here (especially The Heavy Mob piece):

http://britishcomicart.blogspot.com/sea ... m%20Watson

Whoever did the above two pieces, he's a pretty smooth inker and obviously does his research.

I think Watson also drew Captain Hornet for a while in the mid-seventies.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just looked at it again and it's not Jim Watson. Something about it is niggling me, but I just can't put my finger on it for the moment.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's at times like this we really miss Kashgar (not that we wouldn't miss him anyway!).

Does anyone have any idea who drew this beautifully composed Wizard cover from February 1963?

...Apart from anything else I can't help being impressed by the way in which DC Thomson always managed to achieve such high-quality colouring with such low-quality paper!

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

stevezodiac wrote:My favourite cover is the Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD cover with Nick floating in space above the Earth - Steranko of course. Don't have the comic to hand i'm afraid. And I mustn't forget the first Marvel comic I ever bought Amazing Spider-Man 50.
That Steranko cover is one of my favorites too - so much so that I have a large-size recreation hanging on my wall!

Strangely enough my first thought was that you were describing the cover of Pow no.9 - a real oddity in which the American original was altered so that Doctor Strange was replaced with Spider-Man and Nick Fury was covered in custard instead of snow! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

I'd hazard a guess at either Leo or Ted Rawlings for the Wizard cover. Were they brothers?

Nick Fury #1 would probably be my favourite Steranko cover. The two covers he drew for the 1983 Archie re-vamp of the Fly are suitably heroic, and probably more than the Fly deserved. Here's issue 2:

http://www.comics.org/issue/37542/cover/4/

Favourite Steranko illustration would be a harder task, though.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

dreamticket wrote:I'd hazard a guess at either Leo or Ted Rawlings for the Wizard cover. Were they brothers?

Nick Fury #1 would probably be my favourite Steranko cover. The two covers he drew for the 1983 Archie re-vamp of the Fly are suitably heroic, and probably more than the Fly deserved. Here's issue 2:

http://www.comics.org/issue/37542/cover/4/

Favourite Steranko illustration would be a harder task, though.
It's not either of the Rawlings (and they were not related) but I haven't got a clue who else it could be. Leo's style is very stylised (Giant Hedgehog for example) and Ted's style was a lot looser (The Hammer Man is the best example of Ted).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Re Steranko's best work how about that "Hell Hound" double page spread? I think it was in SHIELD.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

stevezodiac wrote:Re Steranko's best work how about that "Hell Hound" double page spread? I think it was in SHIELD.
I'd agree with that. Couldn't dig it out to provide a scan. Here's another favourite Wizard cover for the time being.
Wizard_15_03_1975.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

dreamticket wrote:...I'd agree with that. Couldn't dig it out to provide a scan. Here's another favourite Wizard cover for the time being.
Wizard_15_03_1975.jpg
And that is one of Carlos Ezquerra's rare works for DCT. It is a beauty isn't it?

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

colcool007 wrote:
dreamticket wrote:...I'd agree with that. Couldn't dig it out to provide a scan. Here's another favourite Wizard cover for the time being.
Wizard_15_03_1975.jpg
And that is one of Carlos Ezquerra's rare works for DCT. It is a beauty isn't it?
I'm gobsmacked! Just didn't see that at all. Of course, now that you mention it I can see it couldn't be anybody else. Will now comb through the rest of my Wizards to see if I can spot anymore.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The artist so adept at depicting war themes wasn't Watson,Kennedy or Rawlings but Jeff Bevan a stalwart of the Thomson papers for thity-five years from the late 1950's.
His dad Oscar had been a Thomson staff artist before him mostly working on the women's magazines.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Welcome back, Ray. :cheers:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

That makes two of us very glad to see Ray back. :grouphug:

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks guys. I'll try not to wander off again.