Lenore

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

RuthB

Lenore

Post by RuthB »

Got this... well, wouldn't know how to call it, graphic novel or collection of stripes, anyway, I got this book in Easons yesterday. Lenore Cooties. Is the third in the series (fourth about to be released in February) and they didn't have them in their stocks (actually even with the volume in her hand the woman was looking at me as if I had two heads!). Will order the two previous ones through Ebay.
Anyone has read this comic? Is about a dead goth girl.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Lenore

Post by felneymike »

There's several things like that, all are the same and none of them are funny. They are trying to be "dark" and "shocking" but with "cute" artwork, and not dark or shocking enough to scare off MicroMcPublishKing Corp LTD PLC
There's a few webcomics done in the same style, except those are able to be dark and shocking because they don't need to keep the publishers happy. They still aren't funny though, but you can read them for free XD

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Well, so far I'm liking what I am reading. Maybe my sense of humour is different, XDDD

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I do remember one that i did like online somewhere, but i can't remember where, or it's name! >< it was sepia-toned, except for in one strip where it jokingly turned into "a proper webcomic" and was in colour and had people playing videogames in space XD

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Oooh, I quite like Lenore, so I do! Anything by Roman Dirge or his chum Jhonen Vasquez - ESPECIALLY the cartoon series Invader Zim, created by Vasquez but with scripts written by Dirge - one of the best kids' cartoons of recent years. Too bad it was cancelled after a couple of series :(

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I quite like Lenore and her pals Ragamuffin, Taxidermy etc as well, although enjoy the art more than the humour (which I think is pretty good as well though). I like the juxtaposition (oh listen to me lol) between the exceptionally cute and the darkness of it all. I think there's a bit of Baxendale (ok a very little bit of that) in his work re Sams Spook (and def a bit of Jamie Smart although that's probably vice versa as Jamie may have been influenced by Roman) It's a strange genre of strip but this is the best on IMHO - I would have loved to hjave seen Ken Reid's take on Lenore lol.. I agree with "Squelchy" Invader Zim is good great and very different cartoon.

jamie

Post by jamie »

Ah had to just chip in here. I drew a comic book called Bear for SLG Publishing, who were the same publishers of Lenore (and many other books of that cute/dark genre). I did get a lot of comparisons to the other artists, even abuse, even from 'one' of the artists themselves.

But I can categorically state I was never influenced by Lenore. I've only ever read one issue of it, and that was some time after my own comic had been printed. I was blissfully unaware of it all the years I was working on my own style. So I've always felt the need to comment on any comparisons (artists pride notwithstanding ^_^)

That said, if you do like Lenore, have a look through the SLG Publishing back-catalogue, there are so many truly wonderful artists and titles you're bound to like.

jamie smart

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

It must be terrible to be compared to someone you are not trying to imitate or not even know!!
Can we have a pic of your work? Just being noisy!! XDD. I do love this kind of work. Well, any really. To be an artist is not easy!

jamie

Post by jamie »

ah, well, since you asked, the comic i did for SLG is all online to read from here http://www.bearfoo.com/comics/bear-1-wh ... l-is-bear/ though my more general site is http://www.fumboo.com

i would also agree you check out Jhonen V, and google comics like Skelebunnies, Milk & Cheese, and especially Serenity Rose for other amazing artists. There's so many quality 'alternative' comics out there!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Jamie apologies if I upset you with the comparisons, as you say you weren't even aware of Romans work etc (and shocking that other artists would "abuse" you for thinking that even if it were the case). I think there's a misunderstanding (in my eyes that is) between" influenced" and "imitating" - Imitating to me are the plethora of artists in the 70s (for example) that ripped of Neal Adams style without adding to it (to many to mention) Influenced is Bill Sienkiewicz who initially derw in a Neal Adams style but added to it and developed it over the years into something new - the dame could be leveled at Baxendale artists that were heavily influenced by his work (to this day) some just copied though etc -Your style is really nothing like Romans re the art itself really I just meant (and should have emphasised this) that the style of characters / type of books were in the same genre to me. Re Bear I would also encourage anyone to read this and the underrated (to me anyway) Ubu Bubu (wonderful comic) - Anyway apologies again for the incorrect assumption. :coat:

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

opps sent that message twice (see above) so deleted it

jamie

Post by jamie »

hi Starboy!
oh not at all i didn't take offence, actually i was loathe to post a comment in case it sounded like i was having a tantrum, but i felt it's a subject i could comment on. the comparisons were annoying at first, when they were most frequent a few years back, because they diminish your own achievements by just dismissing them as a rip-off. But of course i can see why people might find similarities, we worked for the same publisher, both drew cute, deathly humorous subjects and used similar brush-work perhaps. Any artist shows their influences, you can't BE an artist without having been influenced, but mine came from a different direction - Buster/Whizzer+Chips/Dandy, as well as Milk + Cheese and Tank Girl for comics, and tv comedy like Young Ones and Blackadder for humour. The sum of my parts brought me to a genre already populated with underground american artists, which was lovely, but my sum had been made from different parts. if that makes sense :)

but thank you! It's so nice to hear when people read Ubu Bubu, i was really fond of it but thought it was Bear that caught the most attention. So thanks :)
jamie