Dennis the Menace tinplate clicker

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Dennis the Menace tinplate clicker

Post by Phoenix »

Malcolm Phillips rang me earlier today to ask me if I knew anything about the tinplate clicker that is illustrated below. As I don't, I'm throwing it into the comicsuk ring in the hope that someone can recognise it. If so, I would be grateful for any helpful responses. It looks to me like a free gift, but not necessarily from The Beano, I suppose. I'm assuming that Malcolm would like the information for his next Compal catalogue. The scan is not of particularly good quality as it is from his email. In the light of the previous thread, I would like to note that the character, the image and presumably also the clicker are copyright D.C. Thomson.
Attachments
denthemen.jpg

Raven

Re: Dennis the Menace tinplate clicker

Post by Raven »

Phoenix wrote:Malcolm Phillips rang me earlier today to ask me if I knew anything about the tinplate clicker that is illustrated below. As I don't, I'm throwing it into the comicsuk ring in the hope that someone can recognise it.
It's the Beano Clickitty Clicker given free in issue 954 - 29th October 1960. Look at page 160 of The History of The Beano and there it is. 'FREE! The Beano Clickitty Clicker: the Super Sound Effects Toy!'

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks very much, Raven. I've passed your information on to Malcolm by email. I must admit, though, it never occurred to me to consult The History Of The Beano. Well spotted! :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

This free gift is also mentioned in The Beano Diaries. The reason it isn't strictly a Dennis the Menace item is because there were several variants available which, as well as the Dennis one also included if memory serves, a Biffo one, a Miinnie the Minx one and a Little Plum one.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Wasn't it Bash Street's Danny rather than Biffo?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Looks like it's actually been drawn by Davey Law himself, unlike so much of today's 'in-house' generic novelties.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm pretty sure I posted the full page ad for this free gift in these forums many months back. I think it was in Victor.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:This free gift is also mentioned in The Beano Diaries. The reason it isn't strictly a Dennis the Menace item is because there were several variants available which, as well as the Dennis one also included if memory serves, a Biffo one, a Miinnie the Minx one and a Little Plum one.
I did tell Malcolm in my email about your entry in The Beano Diaries, Ray. He had seen it earlier he then told me but the fact that it wasn't called The Dennis the Menace Clickity Clicker was the reason for his confusion and, of course, his phone call. If you have no objection, I will pass this extra information on to him tomorrow in case he can make use of it.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
Kashgar wrote:This free gift is also mentioned in The Beano Diaries. The reason it isn't strictly a Dennis the Menace item is because there were several variants available which, as well as the Dennis one also included if memory serves, a Biffo one, a Miinnie the Minx one and a Little Plum one.
I did tell Malcolm in my email about your entry in The Beano Diaries, Ray. He had seen it earlier he then told me but the fact that it wasn't called The Dennis the Menace Clickity Clicker was the reason for his confusion and, of course, his phone call. If you have no objection, I will pass this extra information on to him tomorrow in case he can make use of it.
Please do so Derek. I think the actual write up in 'The History of the Beano' is a little confusing as, in the text, it does refer to the gift as a Dennis the Menace clicker, which with the reproduced ad from 1960 which features the Dennis variant of the clicker, may give the impression that the clicker with the Dennis image was the only one available which wasn't actually the case.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I popped over to my Mum's last night for pie, mash and liquor and grabbed another bundle of comics to bring back to my flat. Mostly early 60s Dandys (see Dandy forum for more) and in issue 988 dated 29/10/60 was the very ad:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Here's the Minnie The Minx clicker.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:Here's the Minnie The Minx clicker.
And Malcolm Phillips has the Little Plum one in his personal collection, so that's all three accounted for.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix wrote:
And Malcolm Phillips has the Little Plum one in his personal collection, so that's all three accounted for.
Minnie is for sale on ebay now with the Dennis one, but you have to be rich to buy them both.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Phoenix wrote:

But there were four! No sign of the Danny one?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:But there were four! No sign of the Danny one?
Yes, I should have said that's three accounted for. However, Kashgar thinks the fourth was Biffo. Would that not make more sense, a frontline individual character like Dennis, Minnie and Little Plum, rather than one from within a group?