2012 Annuals

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: 2012 Annuals

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, no more stretched artwork, which cost DCT Nigel Dobbyn's services.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I must say I'm surprised at the reaction the Dandy Annual logo has generated. A few decades ago The Dandy and Beano books (and other DCT titles) usually featured a new logo every year, completely different to any used on the weekly, and the books sold shedloads.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

That's the point - it isn't a new logo, it's an old one. It's the equivalent of an annual from the 80s using the logo from the 40s. Bellboy, anyone?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

swirlythingy wrote:That's the point - it isn't a new logo, it's an old one. It's the equivalent of an annual from the 80s using the logo from the 40s. Bellboy, anyone?
And that's wrong because...?

It's only the parents who remember the 1970s/80s Dandy who'll know it's a retro logo and that's the point of grabbing their attention. To the kids it's intended for it'll be a bright new logo, just like those we had on the books of the Sixties and Seventies. And those logos never put us off the books just because they didn't mirror the weekly version.

Sorry, but I don't see what the fuss is about.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

i don't mind the logo.it goes with the 75th Birthday which is nice it is mentioned..

Just hoped that the cover would be like the new dandy at the moment..let Jamie have his version of Dan on the cover...as he does a great job in drawing the Dandy covers recently would work well as an annual cover...it will be interesting to see what the content is like inside..wonder if Harry Hill will be inside :)

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Lew Stringer wrote:Sorry, but I don't see what the fuss is about.
Whether the use of this logo is a good or a bad idea, the fact remains that it is a different idea from previous policy. Therefore, one must expect a comics forum to discuss it.

Remember when Jamie Smart's redesigned logo was unveiled? There seemed to be a fair amount of 'fuss' over that at the time...

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

I've done a bit of work on the new Dandy annual.
I'm sure once you get it you'll get it.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

swirlythingy wrote:There seemed to be a fair amount of 'fuss' over that at the time...
I must add 'patronising' to your growing list of remarkable qualities.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You can talk. :roll:

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Digifiend wrote:You can talk. :roll:
Got no shelves to stack, James?

steven

Post by steven »

Any idea about the Broons/Oor Wullie classics book? I would like to see post Dudley D Watkins strips but I bet it will be another book of pre-1969 material. Maybe they are trying to show the complete DDW run in all their books.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The Broons/Oor Wullie books do seem to be sticking to all pre-1969, and I'm actually quite sorry about that. I would love to see some of the best strips after then.

As for the Dandy logo... it wouldn't entirely surprise me if the logo changes before printing. Remember that Amazon are sent early proofs of the covers, so there is room for change - however, last year they went against my hope that they would "fix" the empty space on the front of the Beano annual.

I believe the Dennis and Bash Street Kids books may have been cancelled permanently due to lack of sales. I'm very sorry to see them go.

Speaking of annuals, has anyone seen the summer annuals in the shops?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, there was no Bash Street annual last year and no Dennis is advertised this year. The 2010 Dennis annual had 100s of copies in my local pound shops, so I'm surprised there was even a 2011 one to be honest. Still, I'll miss them. :(

I haven't seen any summer annuals in the shops yet.

Amazon is advertising something called Beano and Dandy Gift Book - with a £12.99 price tag, it seems to be this years retro book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beano-and-Dandy ... 070&sr=1-5

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Nobody's seen the Summer Annual in the shops because it isn't there. Distribution has been truly dismal.

There wasn't a single one in Wimbledon. I eventually found a couple of copies in the huge two-storey WHSmith in the local mega-mall in Croydon, tucked out of the way in one corner of a large, brightly-coloured bookshelf vying for attention with a multitude of licensed products.

I suppose retailers just haven't been buying it, since it isn't an established product like the Christmas annuals.

TBH, it isn't really worth its price tag, either - it's basically a compilation of every Summer Special from the early 2000s, with nary a strip from that period unreprinted. (There are a few new stories towards the back, though.) So much has been reprinted that it'll be physically impossible to produce a similar book next year - there aren't 132 pages of summer comics left in the world.

EDIT: I've just remembered the conversation I had with the clerk in the Wimbledon Waterstones, who are usually so reliable at producing the Christmas annuals. I told him I was looking for the Beano Summer Annual, and he went and looked it up on his computer, which told him that, not only were there none in the shop, there were none in the warehouse, there were none and never had been any in any other Waterstones in the country, and no orders had ever been placed. So if anyone's looking in Waterstones, might as well give up.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

ive been looking for the summer annual in various places in london & i cant find it either