Vandalism!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Vandalism!

Post by stevezodiac »

I was just scrolling through the British comics on ebay and kept seeing dozens of football photos, here's why:

I have found a massive pile of old comics in the attic, a lot of which were Roy Of The Rovers, which was a really popular comic in the 1970s and 80s.

I have cut some of these up so that people can buy pictures of their favourite old footballer.

The pictures are obviously old but are still in really good condition, they are approx A4 size.

They will be sent in either a hardbacked envelope or an A4 envelope with card inserts, of course if you want more than one I will combine the postage.

I have loads more to list so if theres a particular player your after please drop me a mail; and Ill see if I can help you.

Is anyone appalled by this destruction of old comics or do you just feel "they are his comics he can do what he likes with them?!

WizzKid97

Re: Vandalism!

Post by WizzKid97 »

Oh ridiculous, ah well, his loss! I wouldn't dream of cutting up my comics, not in a billion years!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I once saw somebody trying to sell a single page article seperated from a 1900's story paper. It was priced at something like 20 quid too, the mind boggles!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ha, he'll probably find he would've got more money if the comics were intact. What a fool.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Errrr sorry to me they are only comics - I just binned about well over 100 comics last year as no one wanted them (US & UK from 1977 - 90) advertised them on this site for free and tried to give them to Charity etc no takers - I don't feel like a vandal :)

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

STARBOY wrote:Errrr sorry to me they are only comics - I just binned about well over 100 comics last year as no one wanted them (US & UK from 1977 - 90) advertised them on this site for free and tried to give them to Charity etc no takers - I don't feel like a vandal :)
I suppose for you it's different, it's a shame I wasn't on here then, I would've wanted the lot! Typical. :roll:
Last edited by WizzKid97 on 11 Jun 2011, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

If you think that's bad, check out page 2 of this week's Beano!
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Imperial War Museum cut up a rare wartime Beano!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Ha, he'll probably find he would've got more money if the comics were intact. What a fool.
You're assuming the comics were in good shape. They might have been tatty and coverless for all we know.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

True I guess. And I just realised (having seen his post in the Beano subforum) that Swirly wasn't talking about the pages being separated.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Hi Whizz I still have a few left from 80s to date - some summer specials like Whizzer and Chips, Roy of the Rovers, Classics from comics , Best of Toppers, Funny Monthlys etc etc if you want them send me a PM and I'll arrange to post them to you - I have lots of US comics also but not look out what I m getting rid of yet there

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Someone on eBay has been cutting out pages from Spotlight Directories & selling them individually or as sets from series the actors/actresses were in. As a collector of these directories (when affordable) I also consider these vandalism of the highest order, simply to make money. Sad. :(

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

stevezodiac wrote:I was just scrolling through the British comics on ebay and kept seeing dozens of football photos, here's why:

I have cut some of these up so that people can buy pictures of their favourite old footballer.

Is anyone appalled by this destruction of old comics or do you just feel "they are his comics he can do what he likes with them?!
this is vandalism in its highest form & they should bring back the chair for you :lol:
seriously it is hard enough to fink uk comics these days,american comics are so much easier to find,they are a part of the british culture that seems long dead they prob wont exist at all in 50 years time while spiderman & batman will still be limping along nicely,i have bought over 400 iss of roy of the rovers recently in various lots and wont even tick them off my checklist as having got them if centre pages or booklet pages are missing and thats been a lot lately if people want the pics of footballers surley they can cut it out them selves,i also didnt know you advertised comics for free on this site as i would have bit your arm off for em :D
i think it is the duty of companys like dct and egmont to preserve every comic they did for future generations by copying them all to the net or bring out reprints just so this and future generations can see what we enjoyed as kids and the few of us on this forum still do today.dct could bring back classics and egmont could bring back big comic or funny as a cheapo weeklys like for £1 every week

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:dct could bring back classics and egmont could bring back big comic or funny as a cheapo weeklys like for £1 every week
Why do you think those comics (and others) were canceled? Not enough people were buying them. We've been though all of this numerous times here, along with the economics against publishing comics for a pound.

I think I'll get me coat.

:headbash:

:coat:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:dct could bring back classics and egmont could bring back big comic or funny as a cheapo weeklys like for £1 every week
Why do you think those comics (and others) were canceled? Not enough people were buying them. We've been though all of this numerous times here, along with the economics against publishing comics for a pound.

I think I'll get me coat.

:headbash:

:coat:
which is why i said cheap £1 or even less may get people buying em again theres been at least 10 years since egmont/fleetway did buster maybe its time to dip their toes in the waters again or do more books like the 3 roy of the rovers they did, but every month