First Comic You Ever Read

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Shiner

Re: First Comic You Ever Read

Post by Shiner »

I remember Pippin and Playland dropping through our letterbox every Saturday morning. I loved seeing my TV favourites from Watch with Mother (and small ones are still drawn to the characters they know aren't they.... well, OK, the "free" gifts anyway..!).

I moved on to Seven, the nursery comic with Esmeralda, Gerald the Giant and Septimus (anyone remember that one?) before the floodgates opened with Beano, Topper, Look-In and then The Avengers.

Happy days!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

This is my only copy of Seven:

A bit short on comic strips perhaps, but that's a lovely Ron Embleton cover. According to Denis Gifford the next issue was the last.

- Phil Rushton

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Thanks Phil - that makes me a very happy man. The comic metamorphosised into Esmeralda but that was a (gulp) girls comic so I bowed out rather quickly.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

The first comics I ever bought was the short lived, Shaun the Sheep comic which I got all but one of them.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

love your thoughts on Andy Pandy made me laugh... :lol:

babington

Post by babington »

I was immersed in Mighty World of Marvel (just the Hulk part) for two years before I discovered the Beano in 1978. Didn't read the text in MWOM (too young) but knew all the stories through the pictures. I still remember every panel :-)

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I think it was Playland - read a Sooty & Sweep story from the front cover (was watching Sooty in the days of Harry Corbett on Thames TV, which had the duo of Matthew & Gerry Marsden doing songs & giving Harry pratfalls).

Sometimes gor Pippin which Playland later merged into.

Also remember an Andy Pandy from Playhour I think - couldn't stop looking at a picture of Andy & Teddy entering a sweetshop with a big shop window in view.