The Best of the Victor Book for Boys

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

presterjohn

The Best of the Victor Book for Boys

Post by presterjohn »

This one must have escaped my attention before today. has anyone bought it? Is it as good as the last one? etc. etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Victor-Boo ... =pd_cp_b_1

stevezodiac

Re: The Best of the Victor Book for Boys

Post by stevezodiac »

Its a good idea as they can reprint complete stories of the main characters eg Tough Of The Track whereas reprints from the weekly editions would be from long running serials.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Interesting that the cover seems to have been shot from original artwork. For comparison here's a scan of the first Victor Annual itself:

- Phil Rushton

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

DCT keep most of their original artwork, especially from the latter part of the 20th century. They have the cover for Commando issue 1! (well actually the army museum has it at the moment).
I've got mixed feelings about the annual, it seems a bit steep when you realise you could probably just buy 12 old Victor annuals on ebay for the same money. Also annuals survive better than the weeklies anyway, so it'd be better to have done another book with reprints from the actual comic. Still paid full price for it though in the hope that they do another one of those next time!
At least they didn't "hilariously" stick in period adverts, like the two recent Roy of the Rovers annuals did.

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

I was only ever a casual reader of the Victor. I must have bought no more than 50 issues back in the 70's and have only got about 5 or 6 of the annuals. I think it sounds like a safe purchase. I may get the Mrs to give it me for Christmas (after I order it myself that is).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I've got all the annuals. Why can't it be a best of the Summer Specials? But that said, I will probably get given it for Christmas.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

for some reason i never liked war comics as a kid so have never bought an issue of victor,commando,battle etc. & the only war stories i read was when battle merged with eagle but i did enjoy those stories whilst rereading my eagle collection a few years ago,so i may give this a go,if only in the hope more reprint books of different titles come in the future

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Victor featured as much sport as war as well as the odd historic, wild west and crime story.

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

big bad bri wrote:for some reason i never liked war comics as a kid so have never bought an issue of victor,commando,battle etc. & the only war stories i read was when battle merged with eagle but i did enjoy those stories whilst rereading my eagle collection a few years ago,so i may give this a go,if only in the hope more reprint books of different titles come in the future
I kind of know what you mean. I read a fair amount of them purely out of greed for comics. But I always think of myself as graduating straight from funny comics to superhero comics. Having said all that I really enjoy picking up war type annuals these days.