If you were the Editor...

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

r3tr0_gam3r

If you were the Editor...

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

If you could be the editor of any comic for a few days, and make any changes you want, which would you choose and what decisions would you make?

Digifiend

Re: If you were the Editor...

Post by Digifiend »

That's easy. For the Beano, I'd find a new artist to take over Roger the Dodger, and eliminate some of the other filler, replacing them with comic strips (probably reprints for budgetary reasons, but that would still be an improvement over things like Year of the Menace and Roger's Dodge Diary).

For Dandy, I'd try to make a serious marketing push (it badly needs it, the attempt last October was an epic fail, since they didn't even bother to advertise in the better selling Beano until after Christmas and that's not the only thing they got wrong), and make sure the covers featured the well known comic characters. Parents are surely more likely to pick it up if someone like Bananaman or Desperate Dan are on the cover, characters they'd remember from their own childhood. The only other character equally well known is Harry Hill, due to him being a real person.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Digifiend wrote:That's easy. For the Beano, I'd find a new artist to take over Roger the Dodger, and eliminate some of the other filler, replacing them with comic strips (probably reprints for budgetary reasons, but that would still be an improvement over things like Year of the Menace and Roger's Dodge Diary).

For Dandy, I'd try to make a serious marketing push (it badly needs it, the attempt last October was an epic fail, since they didn't even bother to advertise in the better selling Beano until after Christmas and that's not the only thing they got wrong), and make sure the covers featured the well known comic characters. Parents are surely more likely to pick it up if someone like Bananaman or Desperate Dan are on the cover, characters they'd remember from their own childhood. The only other character equally well known is Harry Hill, due to him being a real person.
Looks like you've got your wish. Desperate Dan is on the cover this week! Also, the black bar has gone. The cover is good but it still seems unusual.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Honest, I hadn't seen this week's cover at the time! :D

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

If I was Beano editor I'd like to have the following line-up:

p1 Cover, first page of Dennis the Menace and Gnasher - Barrie Appleby
p2 Contents page. Not terribly exciting but I think it's worth including.
p3-4 Dennis the Menace and Gnasher - Barrie Appleby. Give all the human characters their fifth finger back, add Menace to the strip's title and it's as if Dennis's softy TV series revamp never happened! :D
p5 Billy Whizz - Nick Brennan.
p6-7 The Numskulls - Barry Glennard.
p8 Ivy the Terrible - Diego Jourdan Pereira. I think she should come back.
p9 Little Plum - Hunt Emerson. Some weeks, Ivy could have an extended story with Plum reduced to half a page, but I still want him in there!
p10-11 Minnie the Minx - Ken Harrison.
p12 Ball Boy - Dave Eastbury.
p13 Advert
p14 Meebo and Zuky - Laura Howell.
p15 Calamity James - Tom Paterson (reprints). I honestly wouldn't mind James being reprinted, he's a classic. I'd like to see some of the old black and white strips in colour.
p16 Ratz - Hunt Emerson/Laura Howell. Ideally, have Hunt drawing and Laura writing, though I've got Laura doing a lot already so she can just ghost it when Hunt isn't available!
p17 Advert
p18 Tim Traveller - Nigel Parkinson. I enjoyed Tim when he was in the comic so I'd like him to return. I liked the strip Nigel showed on his blog so I reckon he'd be a good artist for it.
p19 Bash Street School Noticeboard. It beats the old style Beano Club pages in my opinion, and it's right that comic's readers have the change to show their stuff somewhere.
p20-21 Bash Steet Kids - David Sutherland.
p22 Pup Parade - Gordon Bell (reprint).
p23 Ball Boy - Dave Eastbury.
p24-25 Fred's Bed - Tom Paterson/David Sutherland. Having Fred and Tim in the same comic is probably unnecessary, but I like both and couldn't choose between them! I'd probably have Fred travel to a particular place (a bit more like the original concept), and use Tim as pure time travel, not necessarily to anywhere.
p26 Johnny Bean - Laura Howell. Another story I liked, so he'd come back.
p27 Filler page. Not a fixed slot like Fred's Foul Facts, but could be given over to virtually anything.
p28 Super School - Lew Stringer. As with Johnny Bean, they'd return to the weekly comic.
p29 Advert
p30-32 Retro Beano. Two pages of reprints, plus a new strip of a classic character each week. I'd like to see new comic strips featuring the likes of Biffo, Jonah, The Nibblers and Baby-Face Finlayson.
p33 Dangerous Dan - Nigel Parkinson. I'd probably use his story as a comic-adventure serial.
p34-35 New strips. I'd assign one to a current Dandy artist, the other ideally to someone completely new to humour comics.
p36-37 Roger the Dodger - Barrie Appleby/new artist. I'd actually quite like Barrie to come back, but equally I'd be interested to see someone else have a go, maybe Diego Jourdan. I'd also give him two full two pages again, which means ditching Dodge Diary.
p38 Dandy Advert. Preferably a comic strip featuring Dandy characters, not celebs.
p39 Next week's issue Advert.
p40 Gnasher's Bite - Jimmy Hansen.

I've increased the page count to 40, so there would definitely be a price rise. If I've not made any comments about a strips, that's because I think they work fine as they are now. This plan is almost certainly an economic impossibility, and probably no one other than me would want the exact combination of strips. I've tried to keep it as realistic as possible, so I have made an effort to give a certain number of pages over to adverts. If they weren't filled for whatever reason, or other strips were missing from a particular issue, I'd add Freddie Fear (Dave Eastbury) and The Three Bears (Ken Harrison) to the roster.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well we're half way there on the page count, it's permanently up to 36 from next week. :)

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

My dream Beano:

PG 1: Front Cover: Various Artists
(A small Dennis and Gnasher comic strip may work here, at least 4 panels or so with a two page story as well inside. Also possibly other characters getting the lime light, they've been in there a long time and personally I feel it's their turns.)
PG 2: Contents: Various Artists
(A whacky contents page each week drawn by various artists (like Beano Book's content pages)
Also a Desert Island Island Dick mini strip - Nick Brennan
PG 3: Dennis the Menace and Gnasher - Barrie Appleby, Jimmy Hansen, Nigel Parkinson
PG 5: Billy Whizz - Nick Brennan
PG 6: Minnie the Minx - Ken Harrison, Laura Howell, Steve Beckett
(Trust me, I've seen Steve's Minnie and it's amazing!)
PG 8: Ball Boy - Dave Eastbury
PG 9: Super School - Lew Stringer
PG 10: The Numskulls - Barry Glennard
PG 12: Dangerous Dan - Nigel Parkinson
(This must return! I loved it's all-too-short series!)
PG 13: Freddie Fear - Dave Eastbury
PG 14: Year of the Menace
(A good readers page, only being one page! Brilliant!)
PG 15: Ratz - Hunt Emerson/Laura Howell
(Drawn by Hunt and written by Laura)
PG 16: Pup Parade - Gordon Bell (Reprint)
PG 17: Meebo and Zuky - Laura Howell
PG 18: Biffo - Sid Burgon (Reprint)
(If possible, black and white copies coloured on computer rather than painted)
PG 19: Bash Street Noticeboard
PG 20: The Bash Street Kids - David Sutherland
PG 23: BSK: Singled Out - Nigel Parkinson
(In Mike Pearse style)
PG 24: Ivy the Terrible - Diego Jourdan Pereira
PG 26: New Character
PG 27: Advert
PG 28: Fred's Bed - Tom Paterson, Nigel Parkinson
PG 30: HALF PAGE: Fred's Facts/At Home with the BSK - David Sutherland
PG 31: Harley the Pig - Barrie Appleby
(Like Rasher just with Harley instead)
PG 32: Johnny Bean from Happy Bunny Green - Laura Howell
PG 33: Puzzle/Filler
PG 34: Little Plum - Hunt Emerson
PG 35: Classics from the Comics
(A Retro Beano styled page but with readers' requests for old classics redrawn.)
PG 36: Roger the Dodger - Barrie Appleby
PG 38: Beano Manga - Laura Howell
PG 39: HALF PAGE: Next Week/The Nibblers - Dave Eastbury
(An odd choice for an artist I know but I can imagine Dave drawing The Nibblers really well)
PG 40: Gnasher's Bit(e) - Jimmy Hansen

Some can become absent in issues, have a few in runs so they are replaced every now and again with new stories and returns.
Ones that could also appear:
Les Pretend - Laura Howell (I like her Les Pretend, a nice style!)
Uh Oh Si Co - Despite becoming a shocking third I thought this strip had potential.
Home Invasion - Once again a good strip, but sadly one page wasn't enough. Two pages would be much better!
The 3 Bears - Mike Pearse
Reprints
The Bea Team - Nigel Parkinson
I liked this, it felt a lot like Bea, the Mni Menace only better!
Baby Crockett - Jamie Smart
Well, the Beezer's ended now so what could they do with the characters? Well, like Fred's Bed, Baby Crockett could take a stop onto the Beano boat with Jamie Smart drawing it.
Adrian the Barbarian - Dave Eastbury, Hunt Emerson, Barrie Appleby?
Loved its short run in the Beano, a great strip.
Billy the Cat - Steve Beckett
In a cartoon style (I've seen Steve's cartoon Billy the Cat and it's AWESOME!) A good strip overall and could add that adventure goodness the Beano misses.
The Carrotty Kid - Andy Fanton
From Andy's popular webcomic, the Carrotty Kid!

Anyway, here's my ideas, what are yours?
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I like your ideas WizzKid97. In particular I think Sid Burgon's Biffo would be a good choice as a reprint.

Here's my list of strips and features that I deliberately left out of my dream Beano (rather than just forgetting, or not having enough space):

. Billy the Cat - I must admit I've always found him a bit dull, and I prefer comic strips to adventure strips. I did enjoy Laura's 70th birthday special though.
. Crazy for Daisy - I never liked it much, and Nick Brennan's artwork is better on Billy Whizz anyway.
. Les Pretend - I can't help but feel his time has passed. His original series was very funny, but the revivals since then haven't worked, and although I liked Laura's version, she would be too busy elsewhere to be able to draw him.
. Lord Snooty the Third - I did find some of his stories funny, but he wasn't a particular favourite of mine. I'm not that bothered about the original Lord Snooty either though.
. Robbie Rebel - Can't stand him! In any case, I've got Ken Harrison down to draw Minnie, and he'd be my pick as artist for new episodes of The Three Bears (if they were to appear as reprints, I'd like to see strips by Mike Pearse or David Parkins).
. Roger's Dodge Diary - Quite simply, I'd rather Roger had two full pages.

One strip I forgot about was Bash Street Kids: Singled Out. Ideally Mike Pearse would draw it, but I'd be happy with Nigel Parkinson (in Mike's style) or Tom Paterson (in his own style) doing it.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I'd like to see a similiar strip to the hoot squad/the riot squad or early bash street kids style things. I always liked those busy picture style comic strips and they haven't been used enough recently.

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

Thanks for sharing your ideas guys :) Reading these, I've noticed quite a few are similar to mine. If I was editor of Beano, I would love to see more pages come in, so we could bring back a few characters, and to have the Dennis story starting on the cover. I definitely agree with whizzkid97's idea of bringing a few of the Beezer characters back (maybe a few Topper characters would be good), I liked Baby Crockett from the Beezer, so that would make me happy to see him back. Of course, if I really had my own way, and DCT had comics selling like hot cakes, then Beezer & Topper would come back (just me and my selfishness of wanting to see more of the old greats back how they were).
On the Dandy side of things, it definitely sounds a good idea to do a big marketing push and I think they should do some research into seeing what the readers really want, such as a questionnaire on how the characters rate compared to others, which ones people would like to see gone and a space for any general comments on the comic. I would also change Desperate Dan to one more like the older strips, rather than the stupid strongman we have now. I understand he never was clever, but it seems a little over the top stupid now. I would have him starting on the cover page, with one more page inside.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I like your ideas WizzKid97. In particular I think Sid Burgon's Biffo would be a good choice as a reprint.

Here's my list of strips and features that I deliberately left out of my dream Beano (rather than just forgetting, or not having enough space):

. Billy the Cat - I must admit I've always found him a bit dull, and I prefer comic strips to adventure strips. I did enjoy Laura's 70th birthday special though.
. Crazy for Daisy - I never liked it much, and Nick Brennan's artwork is better on Billy Whizz anyway.
. Les Pretend - I can't help but feel his time has passed. His original series was very funny, but the revivals since then haven't worked, and although I liked Laura's version, she would be too busy elsewhere to be able to draw him.
. Lord Snooty the Third - I did find some of his stories funny, but he wasn't a particular favourite of mine. I'm not that bothered about the original Lord Snooty either though.
. Robbie Rebel - Can't stand him! In any case, I've got Ken Harrison down to draw Minnie, and he'd be my pick as artist for new episodes of The Three Bears (if they were to appear as reprints, I'd like to see strips by Mike Pearse or David Parkins).
. Roger's Dodge Diary - Quite simply, I'd rather Roger had two full pages.

One strip I forgot about was Bash Street Kids: Singled Out. Ideally Mike Pearse would draw it, but I'd be happy with Nigel Parkinson (in Mike's style) or Tom Paterson (in his own style) doing it.
I dont like Robbie Rebel either, he just seems ridiculous. Even if he likes something that his parent say, he doesent do it, because they told hin,

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I would add a 2 page regular adventure or humour drama type story a la the Iron Fishl or Spunky and his spider etc try get someone like Ian Gibson (Halo Jones etc in 2000AD) to draw it - have more Hunt Emerson (let him loose to do his thing, he's a genius), pick a one off classic reprint like Leo Baxendales Banana Bunch one pagers (colour it up etc) and I would get Roger Langridge (UK based I think) to do something (maybe even the adventure/humour type story - his MARVEL and Muppet comic work was amazing) I would actively look out new new artists/writers to keep it all fresh and and where possible have a look overseas for artists to try out on the odd new UK written strip but keep it very "British" not make it a US /European comic ( would like to see Hilary Barta do a zany strip) I would def keep all the existing artists working on the books expand Nigel P's, Lew's and Laura's roles as I think they are really good (there are others but Im afraid I don't know their names ) - Jamie Smart to do more stuff like Bear lol (ok tamed down he is so funny ) oh and I would give myself a rise.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Remember, this thread isn't Beano specific. You mentioned seeking out new artists - the Dandy already does that.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

To be honest there aren't any UK comics out there that interest me (well Im over 21 waaaaaaaaaaay over sadly lol) , I have a bit of a knowledge of the Dandy and Beano as I like Hunt Emerson's work so look and buy the odd issue of then (and bought them as a kid) so thought I would make a go at that - Good that the Dandy are giving new artists a chance (writers also I hope)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, we'd know, if only the writers were credited more often. Some artists do write their own stuff.