eBay embellisher

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: eBay embellisher

Post by philcom55 »

In my opinion a lot of confusion tends to be caused by the prevalence of American grading terms. According to these 'Good' means "a well read copy with minor tears or splits, soiled and marked, rolled spine and creases" - basically a very low grade! Even 'Very Good' is merely "an average, second-hand, obviously read copy with marks and minor defects". All very misleading - especially when applied to British comics.

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I have never been victim to an ebay embellisher but I have seen stuff on there, and not bought, which is clearly being embellished eg pull outs from comics being sold for as much as the main comic
Surely, Tin Can, so long as the seller points out that the pullout from the comic is just that, he cannot be accused of embellishing anything. His asking price has nothing to do with embellishment either. If a buyer is unwilling to match the seller's valuation, he just doesn't bid. It's only like a market. If I fancy a roast chicken for my tea I'll pop into Asda. If they are asking £5.50 and I've only set aside £4.50, I don't feel angry thinking they are cheating devils for greasing up their chickens' skins and then shining a light on them to make them look more succulent than they actually are, so that they can make a pound more than they are worth, I just go to the chippy for a fish dinner for £4.20.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

My main gripe was that he said "no rips...no marks...no folds..." and the comic had all three of these things, he obviously copied and pasted his description style throughout his auctions.

Nothing wrong with that but he clearly forgot to look closer at this item and then when I complained he decided to be a bit of a d*ck about it instead of just holding his hands up.

And he said the comic was "maybe excellent" - if he is a novice describing the comic as that, then what does excellent really mean? Well here is the description from dictionary.com:

possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good.
Archaic. extraordinary; superior.

Certainly the comic I bought was no where near that standard, yet he described it as such and then tried to fob me off by saying sorry for the pencil marks inside, yet called me a liar when I said the marks were on 5 pages and brought his attention to the other defects.

Ozzycris43

Post by Ozzycris43 »

Hello do you have any buster puzzle summer specials please

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Ozzycris43 wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 18:21
Hello do you have any buster puzzle summer specials please
Hi there,

if you collect these can you help with any gaps in my covers gallery (below)? Thanks very much in advance

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co ... sting.html
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I posted a £2.95 Dandy to an ebayer 2nd class last Saturday and they've today opened a non delivery case. I already told them I'd had a history of late deliveries from Greenwich PO and the counter clerk said quite a few customers had complained about delayed delivery. Can't understand their impatience over a mere £5.85 with postage midt be very hard up. Wondering if I should block them from ever buying from me again as its so annoying.

I refunded three people in October and then one sent me cash when it eventually arrived which was considerate. I wouldn't mind betting the other two also received their items but were quite happy with the comics AND the refund.

Anyway I'll start using the London Bridge PO (where I used to work) in future.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Buyer emailed me yesterday to say comic had arrived, so drama over.