Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4733
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by stevezodiac »

I was in WH Smiths yesterday and noticed by the till they had the first issue of the Marvel Graphic Novel collection priced at the introductory price of £2.99 (usual price £9.99). Its a Spider-mMan graphic novel mounted on card with another booklet (or pamphlet - probably with more info).

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, I saw an advert on TV last night urging people to subscribe and "collect the best stories from the last 30 years!" The unfortunate thing is that nearly all the best Marvel comics happened to be published before 1980 in my opinion. :?

- Phil Rushton

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by Digifiend »

Surely these graphic novels can already be bought for less than £10 anyway? Partworks are usually a rip-off.

User avatar
-MikeD-
Posts: 372
Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 18:15
Location: Hull - UK
Contact:

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by -MikeD- »

http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html

...like all partworks, they're for grandparents to buy for grandkids...probably a way to buy the little sh*ts affection... :lol:

Of course they're very poor value. Except issue one.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by tony ingram »

-MikeD- wrote:http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html

...like all partworks, they're for grandparents to buy for grandkids...probably a way to buy the little sh*ts affection... :lol:

Of course they're very poor value. Except issue one.
In this case, I'd say even issue one is poor value. I read that story when it was first published: Lee and Ditko, it ain't.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by philcom55 »

The sad thing is that while ventures such as this prove that the UK still has a significant appetite for reading comics the vast majority of readers have been well and truly seduced away from home-grown material by American super heroes. For anyone who still remembers those days when our comics publishers led the world it's hard to understand just how we could have got from there to here in a few short decades...!

...It's ships and planes and motorbikes and cars (and the Eurovision Song Contest) all over again! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by Digifiend »

-MikeD- wrote:http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html

...like all partworks, they're for grandparents to buy for grandkids...probably a way to buy the little sh*ts affection... :lol:

Of course they're very poor value. Except issue one.
And two. It only goes to full price from issue 3.

django
Posts: 42
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 19:11

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by django »

Digifiend wrote:
-MikeD- wrote:http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html

...like all partworks, they're for grandparents to buy for grandkids...probably a way to buy the little sh*ts affection... :lol:

Of course they're very poor value. Except issue one.
And two. It only goes to full price from issue 3.
And issue 2 is the Dark Phoenix Saga, one of THE classics in my opinion, well worth £6.99 if you don't have it already.

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by tony ingram »

django wrote: And issue 2 is the Dark Phoenix Saga, one of THE classics in my opinion, well worth £6.99 if you don't have it already.
How much of it, though? The Dark Phoenix saga effectively ranfrom X-Men #129-138, since the Hellfire club storyline was fairly crucial to the plot and #138 was Jean grey's funeral. i doubt the partwork will reprint all ten issues, somehow.

django
Posts: 42
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 19:11

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by django »

tony ingram wrote:
django wrote: And issue 2 is the Dark Phoenix Saga, one of THE classics in my opinion, well worth £6.99 if you don't have it already.
How much of it, though? The Dark Phoenix saga effectively ranfrom X-Men #129-138, since the Hellfire club storyline was fairly crucial to the plot and #138 was Jean grey's funeral. i doubt the partwork will reprint all ten issues, somehow.
According to their website it contains Uncanny X-Men 129-137, it would have been nice to have 138 in there as well but you don't normally get that in any of the TPBs that have come out over the years.

Shiner
Posts: 253
Joined: 29 Sep 2006, 23:33

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by Shiner »

This series first came out last year and then packed up at No.4. An apology letter came with it, so I'm guessing that there was some contractual problem that has now been overcome. Hardback graphic novels at a tenner a time seems initially appealing but I'd rather know what lurks beyond the advertised titles. Still undecided about whether to subscribe.

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by Digifiend »

Or it was a trial to see how well it would sell, and this is the full launch?

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5340
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by Phoenix »

-MikeD- wrote:...like all partworks, they're for grandparents to buy for grandkids...probably a way to buy the little sh*ts affection... :lol:
Just back from spending Christmas in Cornwall with three of my four grandchildren, and now spending a few minutes catching up with the various threads here. The above comment has caught my attention. I have to admit that I simply don't recognise the concept of buying affection, and I do hope that MikeD hasn't experienced it. In my case, the two-way affection is a given. What mine want is my time, my willingness to read stories to them, to take them to the play area of a local park, or just to have fun with them in the house, that sort of thing. Lois, the five-year-old, set out the snakes and ladders and then came and asked me if I would play it with her. I only asked her one question, which was, Do you know the rules? She said, Yes, you don't cheat. I said that that was good enough for me, we could sort the rest out as we went along. I would also like to say that my grandchildren can be awkward, tetchy, over-exuberant, disobedient, rude even, and the two youngest end up on the naughty step several times a week, but they are a very, very, very long way from being little sh*ts. Mike's choice of smilie does not really make that comment less offensive.

User avatar
-MikeD-
Posts: 372
Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 18:15
Location: Hull - UK
Contact:

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by -MikeD- »

Phoenix wrote:
-MikeD- wrote: Mike's choice of smilie does not really make that comment less offensive.
...It wasn't meant to be personal. Genuinely sorry for the offence... :coat:
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Marvel Graphic Novel collection

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
-MikeD- wrote:...like all partworks, they're for grandparents to buy for grandkids...probably a way to buy the little sh*ts affection... :lol:
Just back from spending Christmas in Cornwall with three of my four grandchildren, and now spending a few minutes catching up with the various threads here. The above comment has caught my attention. I have to admit that I simply don't recognise the concept of buying affection, and I do hope that MikeD hasn't experienced it. In my case, the two-way affection is a given. What mine want is my time, my willingness to read stories to them, to take them to the play area of a local park, or just to have fun with them in the house, that sort of thing. Lois, the five-year-old, set out the snakes and ladders and then came and asked me if I would play it with her. I only asked her one question, which was, Do you know the rules? She said, Yes, you don't cheat. I said that that was good enough for me, we could sort the rest out as we went along. I would also like to say that my grandchildren can be awkward, tetchy, over-exuberant, disobedient, rude even, and the two youngest end up on the naughty step several times a week, but they are a very, very, very long way from being little sh*ts. Mike's choice of smilie does not really make that comment less offensive.
He was making a joke. I guess you're either a kid person and sensitive to this stuff, or you're not. I'm afraid I've never found the little...darlings appealing. Lack of patience on my part, I expect. So I found it quite funny.

Post Reply