What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by SID »

I missed out winning a complete year (1975) Battle Picture Weekly. Did win the 1976 year though. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

I had been undecided about bidding on a bundle of Buster (which had included the pre merge issue before Cor!! joined Buster.)

It had slipped through my fingers. One day, I will get that elusive issue one day. :(

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

No comics but I did pick up 61 free gift football cards for £2. They were free gifts with the Hornet and Hotspur. I emailed my mate Steve to ask which issues they came with. He has Derek's free gifts book but Steve informed me it doesn't cover the Hornet and New Hotspur. Luckily Steve was able to get the information from his collection which I reprint here for the benefit of forum members. The set was of 72 cards and titled World Cup Stars and issued in 1970.

The Hotspur cards were issued between 555-558. Eight + wallet in 555, ten in 556, eight in 557 and ten in 558.

The Hornet cards were issued between 352-355. Eight + wallet in 352, ten in 353, eight in 354 and ten in 355.

I have managed to identify the cards given with each issue, where they provide the information in the preceding issue, or if I have the cards myself.

Hotspur 555 Terry Neill, Mick Jones, Peter Rodriguez, Alan Mullery, John Greig. Peter Bonetti, Tommy Lawrence, Brian Labone.

Hotspur 556 Pat Jennings, Peter Simpson, George Eastham, Colin Stein, Jeff Astle, Gary Sprake, Ian Ure, Emlyn Hughes, Dixie Hale, Ian Moore.

Hotspur 557 Tommy Jackson, Joe Kinnear, Peter Thompson, Alan Clarke, Charlie Cooke, Nobby Stiles, Colin Harvey, Terry Hennessey.

Hotspur 558 (I have the cards) Ray Wilson, Ron Davies, Martin Peters, George Best, Jack Charlton, Ron McKinnon, Francis Lee, Eddie McCreadie. Tommy Wright, John Connelly.

Hornet 352 Gordon Banks, Jimmy Greaves, Sammy Todd, Peter Shilton, Barry Jones, John Hughes, Terry Cooper, Billy Bremner.

Hornet 353 Ron Springett, Alex Elder, Gerry Byrne, John Toshack, Jimmy Johnstone, Geoff Hurst, Derek Dougan, Paul Madeley, Eddie Gray, Terry Paine.

Hornet 354 Bobby Moncur, Ian Callaghan, Bobby Charlton, Keith Newton, Roger Hunt, John Mahoney, Paul Reaney, Colin Bell.

Hornet 355 Mike England, Martin Harvey, Norman Hunter, Billy McNeill, Alan Ball, Bobby Moore, Pat Stanton, Tony Dunne, Alan Oakes, Jimmy Armfield.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The reason that the free gifts given with THE NEW HOTSPUR and THE HORNET did not appear in my 'FREE GIFTS IN THE BIG FIVE'. Steve, is because neither of those titles is one of THE BIG FIVE, which comprised ADVENTURE, THE ROVER, THE WIZARD, THE HOTSPUR and THE SKIPPER, all of which were essentially text story papers. THE NEW HOTSPUR and THE HORNET were picture story papers for the most part. However, if you can be patient, the best serials from them will feature in 'ADVENTURE AND HIS BROTHERS - The Great Stories', the equivalent book for boys to 'BUNTY AND HER SISTERS - The Great Stories', both of which I'm quietly confident will be printed by Deanprint Limited in Stockport, and published by Darsym Press towards the end of this year.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Your endeavours are much appreciated.

blaing

Post by blaing »

A recent auction of the first three months of 1981 of the Beezer slipped through my fingers today.

It was due to end next Saturday morning my time, but was ended early, and it seemed to have been bid on as well (I usually don't bid on items until close to the end)

The upside is the fact that I will have saved my money until next time (lets see how long before the next time the final Beezer and Plug will be listed)

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Was hoping to bid on a 1938 Dandy comic on ebay today. Philcomics was selling it. See, I went into the kitchen to make a sandwich and as I came into the living room, tea in one hand, sandwich in tother, the ruddy listing ended. Bloody cheese & pickle sandwich, I thought. Mind you, it did reach a eye-watering £215.00. Damn my ample stomach. May it grumble not in the future. Serves my right for being a greedy bugger! :(
Well, hello there! :wave:

blaing

Post by blaing »

First time I have missed out on buying something in a while.

Phil-Comics had a couple of auctions of the Topper I was after, but as funds would not allow me, I couldn't afford to bid for them

Another one that got away. Hopefully next year :roll:

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Went to the biggest bootsale l have seen since before the pandemic started it was almost devoid of comics saw one pile of uk edition Simpson’s comics which to me is a waste of paper plus a few Common 1970s annuals at £8 each , oh and one 2000ad comic sitting on its own.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Was at a mega size boot sale today the only British comics I found were some mid 70s dandy and busters but were brown and brittle As I touched them chunks fell away So left behind. all I got was some DC graphic novels, one stall had hundreds of indie American comics which included loads of Heavy metal mags which are not what I like plus not cheap

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Captain underpants wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 14:20
Went to the biggest bootsale l have seen since before the pandemic started it was almost devoid of comics saw one pile of uk edition Simpson’s comics which to me is a waste of paper plus a few Common 1970s annuals at £8 each , oh and one 2000ad comic sitting on its own.
I used to quite like the Simpson's comics as a kid. Although to be fair there wasn't much choice in comics back in the early 00's. I need to get back to the car boot sales. £8 for annuals from the 1970s thats really expensive. I bought a load recently for only a pound each.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Didn't need to buy it because I already have a copy thank goodness, but I did notice that, after a fierce bidding war, someone on the Compal Auctions site forked out , including the buyer's premium, a cool £2600 for a first edition of the Tiger comic!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Kashgar wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 10:35
Didn't need to buy it because I already have a copy thank goodness, but I did notice that, after a fierce bidding war, someone on the Compal Auctions site forked out , including the buyer's premium, a cool £2600 for a first edition of the Tiger comic!
Hawkeye and I were talking about that. What a crazy price! I bought the whole first year for about £400 only two years ago. The comic on it's own has sold for £100 on Ebay not that long ago too. Those buyers must have REALLY wanted that issue!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Kempton Park antique fair today, haven't been anywhere for a while as I developed covid on August 11th but am now pretty much recovered. No comics there but a seller had dozens of original Alan Class printing plates. Not for me but a nice curio. Adam Eterno informed me that 30th Century Comics have some of these plates for sale too.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Not sure if its been mentioned before but what I didnt buy today is a reprinted beano annual. Ebay seems to be full of the reprint/fascimile of old Beano annuals. All at a premium compared to how much they cost if you get them from DC Thomson direct.