comics on c-d rom

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: comics on c-d rom

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: Instead, we're seeing the equivalent of elitists hanging onto their booty, where the wider public has no affordable access to this stuff------the democracy of putting out mass-produced dvd-rom archives can only get this stuff accross to the wider audience it deserves.
The general public have never given two hoots about comics history, and care less with each generation. As for collectors who won't indulge in piracy being "elitists", I guess that makes every collector before the invention of file sharing an elitist then. :) Comic collecting has survived quite well all these years without piracy, and collectors have been well served by learning about comic history through books, articles, and blogs. Old comics still turn up on eBay and at marts at very reasonable prices. (Unless one thinks a fiver for a 1930s comic in excellent condition is unreasonable.) No one needs every single episode of Kelly's Eye or Black Bob on disc to appreciate what great artists Solano Lopez and Jack Prout were. No one needs every issue of Sparky on zip drive to know what a brilliant humour comic it was.

I'm not rich by any means so my motto has always been I buy what I can afford and go without the rest. That used to be how most collector's felt, until the internet gave some the expectation of gaining something for nothing.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I must admit that - quite apart from the modern phenomenon of comics on disc - the growth of organized fandom, adzines, dealers, comic marts, comic shops, archive reprints and ebay have all taken something away from the excitement of collecting comics in the early days when even ten-year-old comics seemed as rare and unobtainable as original Rembrandts. Back then I used to dream about stumbling across those early issues of Justice League of America or Fantastic Four that I'd only ever seen in adverts, and nothing on Earth could match the sheer thrill of actually discovering one at a school 'bring & buy'. Your bank balance didn't even enter into it - scarcity and luck were everything!

Familiarity doesn't always breed contempt, but it can certainly take the edge off one's passion.

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Looking at some of the comics on dvd/cd advertised on ebay I note that some are now saying you can read them on your kindle etc. How does that work? I don't have a kindle but I presume you would insert the dvd into your pc and then transfer the files onto the kindle?

If the kindle fire isn't released in Britain soon I will have to buy a standard version.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Yeah, the kindle acts like a hard drive - put them in the pictures folder. But if you are talking about tabloid-sized Brit comics, it's a struggle to read them. There's just too many panels. Although you can zoom, it's a pain to read.

Commando and other pocket books are perfect and I also find Marvel UK fine. No colour and not too many panels either.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I feel like I've dived into a deep and murky pool, as I indicated in my introductory post that I'm intending to create a digital archive of girls comics.

Is it piracy? Actually, no. it's not illegal to make a copy of anything you legally own. It all depends what I do with it afterwards. I'm certainly not planning to sell the scans.

If there was any sign that the legitimate copyright owners had any intention of reprinting this material, I wouldn't do it. Hell, it's going to cost me a small fortune, and a lot of time and effort. I'd love to be saved all that. But reality is it's been thirty years and there is zero sign that anyone has any interest in reprinting any girls comics at all. Sure, there was that Misty special three years ago, but what did that lead to? Nothing. And that's the girls' comic that actually has a fanbase.

I'm going to do it because I don't want to see all that creativity lost and forgotten. And if that makes me a pirate, all I can say is "Aaaarrr! Jim, lad."
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The problem is you don't actually own the work you'd be copying. All you have paid for is a copy of it - the right to copy it again belongs to the owner of the artwork, if that makes sense?

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

AndyB wrote:The problem is you don't actually own the work you'd be copying. All you have paid for is a copy of it - the right to copy it again belongs to the owner of the artwork, if that makes sense?
Actually that's not true, or every time you copied a CD to mp3 to play on your computer or mp3 player (or made tape copies of records, depending on your age) it would be illegal, which it's not. I am entitled to scan any comic I own. I'm just not allowed to give a copy of the scan to someone else.

My motivation is to preserve comics I enjoyed (and some I missed) as a teen, before they are lost. I don't know what I'll do with them if I ever complete the project. Maybe I'll send a set to whoever currently owns the copyright, which would give them the option of publishing them at minimal expense. I'd certainly never sell them.

Tell you what, when I send them to Edgemont or whoever, I'll say if they can't be bothered to sell them, I'll ask for a license to produce them on their behalf. How's that for legal?
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

AndyB wrote:The problem is you don't actually own the work you'd be copying. All you have paid for is a copy of it - the right to copy it again belongs to the owner of the artwork, if that makes sense?
...On the other hand I don't think anyone would object to making a copy for your own use - any more than they would to copying tracks from a CD you've bought onto your own MP3 player.

Which makes me wonder what people would feel about two or three people pooling their issues of Tammy (for example) in order to own a complete set on disc - assuming they have no intention of selling any further copies?

- Phil R.

(Ooops! I wrote this before Mari posted her own reply.)

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Oh yes, that reminds me, I could legally give scans to other people if they already owned the comics. Which might be nice for all those collectors with their mint condition copies they never read.

And as Phil says, if someone else helped create the archive, it would surely be on the very light side of a grey area if we filled each other's gaps, so to speak.
Last edited by Marionette on 18 Aug 2012, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Lew Stringer wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: Instead, we're seeing the equivalent of elitists hanging onto their booty, where the wider public has no affordable access to this stuff------the democracy of putting out mass-produced dvd-rom archives can only get this stuff accross to the wider audience it deserves.
The general public have never given two hoots about comics history, and care less with each generation. As for collectors who won't indulge in piracy being "elitists", I guess that makes every collector before the invention of file sharing an elitist then. :) Comic collecting has survived quite well all these years without piracy, and collectors have been well served by learning about comic history through books, articles, and blogs. Old comics still turn up on eBay and at marts at very reasonable prices. (Unless one thinks a fiver for a 1930s comic in excellent condition is unreasonable.) No one needs every single episode of Kelly's Eye or Black Bob on disc to appreciate what great artists Solano Lopez and Jack Prout were. No one needs every issue of Sparky on zip drive to know what a brilliant humour comic it was.

I'm not rich by any means so my motto has always been I buy what I can afford and go without the rest. That used to be how most collector's felt, until the internet gave some the expectation of gaining something for nothing.
OK, Lew. if the wider public don't care, then why should anyone else even bother------ why don't we all just pack it in [cartooning]---

NOW?

Such negative vibes reflect and resonate far beyond enthusiasts like us: if a pro like you dismisses the value of trying to get accross the best examples of comicdom's [rich ] past to people who probably don''t even know it ever existed, , then why should the 'average Joe' even bother taking the slightest interest in the first place?

Again, your attitude here appeals to individual collectors in a blinkered short term, who will all be dead within a decade or three, and then what> Do these comics all end up in a council skip, and then undeserved total oblivion, coz that seems to be the case you are putting forth..... instead of at least trying to get this stuff out to a load of new people , some of whom may well appreciate it's value.....No much wonder the DANDY is closing, if this is indicative of the overall consensus.....

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:

OK, Lew. if the wider public don't care, then why should anyone else even bother------ why don't we all just pack it in [cartooning]---

NOW?

Such negative vibes reflect and resonate far beyond enthusiasts like us: if a pro like you dismisses the value of trying to get accross the best examples of comicdom's [rich ] past to people who probably don''t even know it ever existed, , then why should the 'average Joe' even bother taking the slightest interest in the first place?

Again, your attitude here appeals to individual collectors in a blinkered short term, who will all be dead within a decade or three, and then what> Do these comics all end up in a council skip, and then undeserved total oblivion, coz that seems to be the case you are putting forth..... instead of at least trying to get this stuff out to a load of new people , some of whom may well appreciate it's value.....No much wonder the DANDY is closing, if this is indicative of the overall consensus.....
Don't get stroppy with me just because you had your links to illegal CDs deleted Rab.

If you can't get all the comics you want by legal means, tough! You'll have to do what most of us do and go without. You're not entitled to pirated works. Settle for the back issues you can afford, like the rest of us have to.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:No much wonder the DANDY is closing
That comment is totally irrelevant to the discussion and used solely as a spiteful sideswipe, but since you raised the issue, you were of course buying The Dandy every week weren't you Rab? :roll:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

matrix

Post by matrix »

I would like to add to this recent debate, as I feel I fit in the general public category that was mentioned earlier.

I came across this site while trying to find information about some of the comics that I had acquired.
I have sent Al about thirty scans for the specials section, he encouraged me to join the forum to discuss some of them, and once I had the courage took the plunge!

Since doing so I have learnt so much more about comics, Artists, etc. I did not really appreciate all the artwork in comics until my eyes were opened! Hard for some to understand I know, but have to agree with Rab, as at one stage I was exactly who he would like to reach out to.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

matrix wrote:I would like to add to this recent debate, as I feel I fit in the general public category that was mentioned earlier.

I came across this site while trying to find information about some of the comics that I had acquired.
I have sent Al about thirty scans for the specials section, he encouraged me to join the forum to discuss some of them, and once I had the courage took the plunge!

Since doing so I have learnt so much more about comics, Artists, etc. I did not really appreciate all the artwork in comics until my eyes were opened! Hard for some to understand I know, but have to agree with Rab, as at one stage I was exactly who he would like to reach out to.

My point is that you don't need piracy in order to gain knowledge about the history of comics. Like most people here, I've been a collector all my life and any knowledge I've gained has come from books on comics, blogs and forums like these, and by buying the old comics themselves.

The pro-piracy opinion seems to suggest that without illegal CDs and downloads, future generations will be ignorant of comics history. That's clearly not the case, otherwise none of us would know about the comics that existed before our time. If anything, it's now easier than it's ever been to learn about the history of comics, thanks to interactive forums and suchlike.

Publishers tend to turn a blind eye to the odd page or three being used to illustrate an online article about comics, but making entire runs of comics available on CD or for download is just taking the mickey. No one needs every issue of, for example, TV Comic on an illegal CD to discover what an enjoyable comic it was. A select few issues from various years would do that. Buy the back issues you can afford, like the rest of us did. They won't crumble to dust in 50 years like some think they will. (Unless they're stored in the wrong conditions.) And if you do find comics are aging too fast, there's no law against scanning and storing files for your own reading pleasure.

If you're new to comics history, Paul Gravett's superb book Great British Comics gives a good overview of UK comics history and is well illustrated. It's available from as little as a tenner in new condition at present:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-British-C ... 137&sr=8-1

A few other books on the history of British comics:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Comics- ... 927&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Girls- ... 010&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunt-Fears-Str ... 132&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-History-Dan ... 046&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-History-Be ... gy_b_img_b

Hope that helps.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Lew Stringer wrote: The pro-piracy opinion seems to suggest that without illegal CDs and downloads, future generations will be ignorant of comics history. That's clearly not the case, otherwise none of us would know about the comics that existed before our time. If anything, it's now easier than it's ever been to learn about the history of comics, thanks to interactive forums and suchlike.
There are some slight elements of that being the case. Very old (Let's say before the Dandy) but not the earliest comics (which are talked about because of their status as the first comic) are rarely talked about here and there is not much information on the subject at all online. One could argue they have been forgotten or almost forgotten.

However there may be books on this subject which I am just not aware of and I have yet to get Paul Gravett's book you just mentioned which may go into that subject.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: The pro-piracy opinion seems to suggest that without illegal CDs and downloads, future generations will be ignorant of comics history. That's clearly not the case, otherwise none of us would know about the comics that existed before our time. If anything, it's now easier than it's ever been to learn about the history of comics, thanks to interactive forums and suchlike.
There are some slight elements of that being the case. Very old (Let's say before the Dandy) but not the earliest comics (which are talked about because of their status as the first comic) are rarely talked about here and there is not much information on the subject at all online. One could argue they have been forgotten or almost forgotten.

However there may be books on this subject which I am just not aware of and I have yet to get Paul Gravett's book you just mentioned which may go into that subject.
It does indeed. However it's possible that UK comics from 100 years ago may now be in the public domain, so if file-sharers looked into that first they'd be within the law to upload them I think. (Worth checking out. Don't take my word for it.)

Here's another fine book. This one's on the free gifts of story-papers, and is written by Mr. Derek Marsden, formerly of this parish:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -five.html