What The Papers Say

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Tin Can Tommy

Re: What The Papers Say

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Digifiend wrote:Tin Can, did you not even recognise Felix the Cat, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Dick Tracy, or The Phantom?
I only know of Felix the Cat and Casper.
I didn't realise Felix the Cat was still popular enough to make comics out of in the 1950s I thought the character had plummeted into obscurity in the 1930s.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I think Felix's return to popularity was somewhat inspired by the Joe Oriolo version that was made in the late 1950's...

http://youtu.be/WlhyPeXcNmA

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Another of those million pound type Action number 1 stories. It only appeared in the Metro.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Another of those million pound type Action number 1 stories. It only appeared in the Metro.
Apart from The Guardian, Steve. It was reported there on Tuesday. I started a thread about it yesterday on the World Comics forum. See Action Comics - issue 1.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Going back to the pic from the Daily Mail, most, if not all of the comics on the pavement are Australian. Apart from tha fact that some of them were not published here, a couple of the ones where I can make out the price, have 8d on the cover. Some such as Char Chapman, Jet Fury, Tim Valour are Aus. originals, some are reprints of Italian/Spanish comics and some of the others are American reprints.
I realise I'm a bit late with this as I only stumbled on the photo this evening but if anyone else has any further info. or opinion, I'd love to read it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I checked the world comics forum but didn't see your new topic - I must have looked too early. When I saw the item it made me wonder how much Marvel Comics number 1 would sell for. I think I read a few years ago it was very rare.

I buy the Mail, Express, Sun and Mirror each day plus Metro and Evening Standard free newspapers. Thats enough for one day's reading. Kept the Kate Bush articles for my mate Steve. He was at her original Hammersmith gig in 1979 and was interviewed on bbc while queuing outside.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

You won't get much change from £300,000 for a very good Marvel Comics #1

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sad article in today's Daily Mirror. I will keep on using rhyming slang even if people do look at me askance.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Today's Daily Express has a full page article about the James Bond comic strip which features in a new exhibition. You can see the article on their website just search for james bond.