King Cobra is back in new stories for Relaunch Strip Mag

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

BeanoKev70

King Cobra is back in new stories for Relaunch Strip Mag

Post by BeanoKev70 »

Strip Magazine have released pictures of a brand new King Cobra strips that will appear in the relaunched Strip Magazine in March looks great.....
Attachments
cobra.jpg

Digifiend

Re: King Cobra is back in new stories for Relaunch Strip Mag

Post by Digifiend »

Crikey, he's in two comics then, because he's also part of the Retro Active team in the digital Dandy. Wouldn't have expected Strip to license a DC Thomson character.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I will pessimisitcally expect this to be Batman with British accents (or even 'transatlantic accents' like Brodie's Law). No doubt the first episode will even feature him screaming "NNNOOOO!" at the sky, with a red border round the speech balloon. Also the original version's clumsiness in his "normal form", a rich and untapped vein of comic releif and additional 'disguise', will probably be removed altogether.

BUT... Strip has given me pleasant surprises before!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Tried getting kids to read the original King Cobra (or others like Billy the Cat)? It needs to be updated. No other way. It's just whether the update is good or bad. And of course that is completely subjective (e.g. I loved early 2000AD Dan Dare and the evil Spider from the updated Action special - completely hated by some though).

I'm pretty shocked they manage to license the character. DCT are pretty good (although, by that, I mean 'bad') at hanging on to characters. Even ones they haven't used in 40 years.

Looks intriguing. Let's hope it is.

SID
Location: Reading comics since 1969. Collecting comics since 1975.

Post by SID »

I saw the news on Facebook. :)

King Cobra looks really good and I look forward to seeing him in the up and coming issues.

What would be more intriguing was if DCT saw that there was a market for a more mature comic in the style of 2000AD, Strip Magazine and CLiNT which hosted revamped/reimagined DCT characters such as King Cobra.

Now that I would get. :)
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016-), MAD (2016-), Deadpool Unleashed (2017-), Marvel Legends (2017-), Batman: TOTDK (2020-), The77 (2020-).

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Billowing impractical capes, hoods, generic masks and stupid-looking guns...but wait! That's London in the background! Yay!
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:I saw the news on Facebook. :)

King Cobra looks really good and I look forward to seeing him in the up and coming issues.

What would be more intriguing was if DCT saw that there was a market for a more mature comic in the style of 2000AD, Strip Magazine and CLiNT which hosted revamped/reimagined DCT characters such as King Cobra.

Now that I would get. :)
But is there a market for such a comic? 2000AD sells steadily I think, but Strip is still untested in newsagents and CLiNT relies on reprint.

Previous UK adventure comics for older readers haven't fared too well. Anyone remember Blast? Crisis? Revolver? The revamped Roy of the Rovers?

Hopefully Strip Magazine will attract a big enough audience to survive on the High Street, but it won't be easy.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:2000AD sells steadily I think
There may well be something of a reaction to the current number. According to an article in The Guardian today it is called Closet, and deals with the issue of a teenager coming out.

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
But is there a market for such a comic? 2000AD sells steadily I think, but Strip is still untested in newsagents and CLiNT relies on reprint.

Previous UK adventure comics for older readers haven't fared too well. Anyone remember Blast? Crisis? Revolver? The revamped Roy of the Rovers?

Hopefully Strip Magazine will attract a big enough audience to survive on the High Street, but it won't be easy.
Maybe not, Lew. :(

To be honest, it wasn't a serious suggestion - though I wasn't lying about buying it if such a comic came out.

I suppose only time will tell about Strip Magazine. I hope it does. I really like it.

LOL! :) A friend gleefully texted me telling me that Dredd was gay. Good to see that people do read 2000AD (not my friend, she read it in the paper).
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016-), MAD (2016-), Deadpool Unleashed (2017-), Marvel Legends (2017-), Batman: TOTDK (2020-), The77 (2020-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:A friend gleefully texted me telling me that Dredd was gay. Good to see that people do read 2000AD (not my friend, she read it in the paper).
I think it is important to point out that The Guardian article did not say that Dredd is gay. Josh Halliday said ...the writers of Judge Dredd caused a stir yesterday by appearing to suggest he was to come out as gay. / The first page appears to show the lawman in a clinch with a man in a gay club, with the caption: ''I'd always known I was gay. I was just too scared to admit it''. / However, the subject of Dredd's sexuality looks set to remain a mystery after it emerged that the man in the image was not, in fact, the comic book hero. A spokesman revealed that the figure is simply a man dressed like Dredd at a Judge-Dredd-themed gay club. The writer Rob Williams said Dredd ''may well be gay, straight or bi'' but that was secondary to his passion for the law.

The above extracts from Josh Halliday's article are copyright The Guardian, and are quoted just for illustration purposes.

SID

Post by SID »

I never read the article itself so thanks, Phoenix.
My Regulars:

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

This is a positive move by Strip,it was a highlight last year the only issues being the distribution problems. As long as this is 100% sorted for the relaunch & a serious advertising campaign is run this could well be a small turning point for comics. We may well see other old characters being revived in new stories. Anyone with Facebook should like their page plenty of sneak peaks are being released.... :D

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I'm sure 2000AD have done numerous stories with gay characters before, why is it news now? (and on the subject of a lookalike judge in a compromising clinch, Zarjaz would consider that old news too :lol: )

Or is it because comics have gone all 'middle class' in the past few years, so The Guardian only now consider them worthy of attention?

starscape

Post by starscape »

Can't think of any 2000AD gay characters. Dredd would be a poor choice though. Nothing to do with his sexual preference, just the fact that he'd have sex! I just can't imagine any kind of enjoyment that has any stirring of even the most basic of emotion. Maybe the cloning wipes out that drive.

Johnny and Wulf though. Wouldn't be that much of a surprise, nor detract from the story.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

starscape wrote:Can't think of any 2000AD gay characters.
...I always had my doubts about Walter the Wobot! :wink: (Hopefully he wasn't, though, as that sort of stereotyping went out with 'Are You Being Served'!)

- Phil R.