Advertising Strips

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Digifiend

Re: Advertising Strips

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe the name wasn't so universally known 50 years ago? You wouldn't have learned it off the telly, Blue Peter always called it sticky backed plastic.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Sticky backed plastic was different - actual sticky-backed coloured plastic sheets. I think Blue Peter used "sticky tape" to avoid the trademark or the more clumsy adhesive tape.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Having just stumbled across a bunch of the previously-mentioned 'Sir Lastalot' strips (in Look & Learn of all places) I couldn't resist giving him and his knights another outing on this thread. In spite of the Pythonesque humour it's interesting to note that 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' wasn't made until several years later.

I can't help wondering whether the 'four minute smile' continued to be be quite so effective after Nestlé swallowed Rowntrees and turned their Fruit Gums into nasty bits of tasteless plastic!

- Phil Rushton :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They changed the recipe? Not surprising. Food is always worse when it's supposedly "New and Improved".

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Great ads those, actually worth reading!

The fruit gums haven't had gum in them for thirty years now. At the time I wrote to Rowntrees and complained, and they said gum arabic was too expensive to use. They ought to make them in Australia, we've got tons of the stuff just pouring out of acacia trees!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So what Phil described had nothing to do with Nestle. The takeover happened in 1988 - 25 years ago.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Everybody always says that things like Mars bars and Tizer tasted better when they were young and this is usually explained by changes in our sense of taste as we grow up - but I suspect that there is often more truth in the saying than we realize. The trouble is that, while old confectionary adverts and wrappers can be preserved and displayed in museums, their actual taste tends to be lost forever! :(

Here's another brief epistle from the Golden Age of Gumalot!

- Phil Rushton :)

matrix

Post by matrix »

Just giving this a bump with these two examples from early 80s 'Tiger'. Not much you can say really, I guess 'Moon Patrol' is not that bad!
Attachments
Moon.patrol.jpg
Weetabix.000.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Back cover of Valiant dated 14.09.1968:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here are a couple of Casey Court style adverts from 1919 issues of Pictures & Picturegoer.

and a Stingray ad from a 1965 issue of Princess

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I had my first Tizer in years and years....the colour looked different and the taste wasn't right...didn't like it...

Skips have changed a great deal as well...maybe it was the E's in the product of the past which gave it that zing!!..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Then again it might just be that our taste buds have altered.

My dad always complained that Tizer had lost its 'zing' for him way back in the 1960s! :)

- Phil R.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:...Then again it might just be that our taste buds have altered.

My dad always complained that Tizer had lost its 'zing' for him way back in the 1960s! :)

- Phil R.
That'd be part of it, but also there are stronger guidelines on additives now I believe so that'd make a difference.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Peter Gray wrote:I had my first Tizer in years and years....the colour looked different and the taste wasn't right...didn't like it...

Skips have changed a great deal as well...maybe it was the E's in the product of the past which gave it that zing!!..
They've messed with Tizer a few times in recent years. Five or so years ago it was lovely - it was made with sugar and had real fruit juice in it and was delicious. Then they changed the recipe to what it is now, including artificial sweeteners as well as sugar - ick.

Irn Bru, however, remains delightful.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...It's the girders! :)

- Phil R.