And what did you think of Bristol 2006?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Now having travelled a few weary miles to get to Bristol 2006, I thought I would inflict my opinions on everybody else... :?

Good points are:

There was a lot of well-known artists there.

Indie comics were very well-represented.

Some of the comics were dirt-cheap! (300 QC comics for 15 quid!)

Regular artists recognised me and little monster! :lol:

Gilbert Shelton was there!

Colin McNeil and I had a mini "Who's had the worst year?" chat! :shock:

No matter what Henry Davies says, Iona thinks that it was a brilliant sketch! 8)

Bad points:

Old Brit comics, with the exception of 2000AD, were almost impossible to find.

Things did not go as advertised (Dr Who experience was limited to Sophie Aldred {Ace} and Mr Molloy {Davros} due to the additional props not turning up)

Artists are now charging for sketches with few exceptions. :cry:

Turnout appeared to be lower than last year. :(

The charging for sketches, I can only put down to the "Ebay-effect". I have seen several sketches that were done at conventions and have been sold on Ebay for over ?30. I think that it looks like a small pool of sharks have mucked it up for the rest of us. :evil:

When I go to a convention, I am out to get rare comics. To get sketches from artists are a bonus. To me, it feels like a betrayal of the collector's ethos to get a sketch and then sell it off. :x

Anyone else with similiar thoughts or wants to give their opinion on Bristol 2006, then put their thoughts on here...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Your post was very interesting.I agree that a few money-grabbing yobbos spoil it for the true comic collector and enthusiast.Shame really...these are prob the same people(though not all,mind!) who appear on this forum from time to time champing at the bit asking how much such and such a comic is worth.These are not TRUE collectors in my honest opinion,but business men in disguise,smelling a fast buck.A true collector buys for the sheer joy of owning a piece of comic history and reliving some childhood memories.not quickly disposing of it for a nice little earner.I like nothing better than acquiring comics and sharing them,either through my websites or with friends,not wondering how much they will make me!Food for thought,methinks,the Cap!

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

I had to pull out at the last minute, so all the Brit comics I would have been bringing stayed in storage I'm afraid.

I'll be there at Brighton though, where Collected Hook Jaw will be launched.

Chris
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Lew Stringer

Re: And what did you think of Bristol 2006?

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:
Artists are now charging for sketches with few exceptions. :cry:

I must be one of the few exceptions then as I didn't charge. The artist sitting beside me was charging a fiver a sketch, which I thought was a very reasonable price for the quality he was producing.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of us at these events are paying our own way (hotel, travel etc) and the most popular artists are in demand for sketches/signings all day so charging a small fee for a sketch seems fair.

Regarding the event I thoroughly enjoyed it on a social "meet old friends/ readers" aspect. I didn't attend many talks but I those I did attend ran smoothly and professionally.

I've attended UK Cons nearly every year since 1979 and they serve a valuable purpose in generating interest in comics and as a much appreciated venue for us artists and writers to catch up with each other. Long may they continue!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew,
where were you? I looked for your table several times over! But, for the second year running, I missed you! :!:

As to the charging, I can't really comdemn it per se as you guys are out there to make a living as much as anyone is, but it was a big shock to me as I had gotten used to going around the artists and getting freebie sketches. (McNeil's sketch of young America hangs in our living room and will never be sold until it can be prised from Karen's cold, dead fingers! 8) ) It took me 8 years of going to the odd convention and signings to get used to it though! :P

I was happy to pay as Mike Collins did me a wonderful 'head' shot of K-9 and I got a few photos of Iona with Sophie Aldred (photos were free as long as you donated to her charity of choice. For me, that was not a hardship), but as you can understand, it was a bit of a culture-shock.

I only bought a few bits which were 13 Commandos, 2 2000ADs, a 2000AD annual, Megazines that I had missed, some QC comics, True Brit (which is my current reading material of choice), Bulldog Empire issue 2 and Omnivistascope 1 & 2.

Looking around my tastes gravitated towards Brit indie stuff as it seems to have so much more to offer, to me, than the usual DC/Marvel fare.

Anyhoo, enough of my burblings! I need to go to bed and get some zeds!

paulvonscott

Post by paulvonscott »

I had a great time, thanks for asking!

I met Col and Lew, apologies to both for not instantly realising who you were! I met loads of people who I hadn't seen before. Col, you should have had a badge like Lew :p

Good to see you both, hope you like the comics! if not, it's too late now :p

I rarely go for sketches (unless they offer) so didn't get any, but Disraeli was doing some amazing stuff.

And Col, did you buy True Brit just so you had a souvenier of our meeting? I'm on the cover (it's a short story, but not that interesting).

Cheers!

Paul

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:Lew,
where were you? I looked for your table several times over! But, for the second year running, I missed you! :!:

Sorry we missed each other. As mentioned in the Expo booklet my signing session was 1 til 2 on Saturday. I was in the "artists alley" or whatever you want to call it beside Doug Braithwaite, John Reppion and Leah Moore.

The hard slog award goes to Mike Collins, who spent the entire Sunday doing Doctor Who etc sketches and was still drawing as they were closing the doors!

Paul; good to meet you and buy those copies of Solar Wind. Funny stuff. Ya should have won that Eagle Award!

Lew

paulvonscott

Post by paulvonscott »

"Paul; good to meet you and buy those copies of Solar Wind. Funny stuff. Ya should have won that Eagle Award!"

Nah, the right guy won, but thanks for saying it anyway :p

I've currently been chuckling over Brickman, and I'm not known for my chuckling.

Paul

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Lew,my beef wasn't the fact that artists were charging for sketches,only that certain individuals give the scene a bad name by posing as comics fans and selling the artists work on at a profit.I agree that the artists should perhaps indeed charge for what is after all an original piece of art.Keep up the good work is my motto,but watch out for these buzzards :twisted:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Captain Storm wrote:Lew,my beef wasn't the fact that artists were charging for sketches,only that certain individuals give the scene a bad name by posing as comics fans and selling the artists work on at a profit.

Yes I know. I was replying to colcool who said artists charging was a bad thing. I completely agree with your p.o.v. on it.

The only charging I saw most artists do was towards the bar but that's always been a tradition. :wink:

Lew

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Paul,
just noticed you on that piccie! :lol: At least we will always have Bristol! :shock: Thanks for printing my email! It's only the second time that I have had anything printed in a comic!

As I said earlier, I don't disagree with artists charging for their sketches. I was just a bit surprised, that's all.

Next time I go to one of these things, I think that I will get my avvy stuck on a badge so that folk are warned of who's approaching! 8)

Lew,
sorry I missed you again! But by the time you were in artists' corner, I was lugging around a sleeping 4 year old! One of the Markosia crowd took a picce of her while she was out for the count and stuck some of their comics beside her. Love to know how they are going to use that as an advertising shot! :) And I got a couple of piccies of said 4 year old with Sophie Aldred, which kept her happy!

paulvonscott

Post by paulvonscott »

"Thanks for printing my email! It's only the second time that I have had anything printed in a comic!"

That's okay, it was only the second time my comic had recieved a letter, and was VERY much appreciated.