RIP Margaret Thatcher(?)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

RIP Margaret Thatcher(?)

Post by philcom55 »

I've no doubt that the late Maggie Thatcher will divide people in death just as she did in life. One thing that does occur to me, however, is that she must have turned up in more comic strips than almost any other British Prime Minister. The time that really sticks in my mind is when Alan Moore cruelly cut her down to size in the pages of his Marvelman/Miracleman saga. Does anyone else remember this - or any of her other comic strip appearances...?

- Phil R.

davidandrewsimpson

Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher(?)

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Rich Johnson at Bleeding Cool thinks the same. See http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/08/ ... in-comics/ for some visuals.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was standing right beside her at a Christmas drink once - she was all alone but I didn't have the nerve to say anything to her. Wouldn't have known how to address her for a start. "Can I get you a pint your flagship?"

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I've never known anyone to polarize opinion as much as our Maggie---even in Death, it seems.

Whatever your thoughts on her legacy, there is no denying that she has gone down in History------whether it's for right or wrong reasons...I leave that to

YOU

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

philcom55 wrote:I've no doubt that the late Maggie Thatcher will divide people in death just as she did in life. One thing that does occur to me, however, is that she must have turned up in more comic strips than almost any other British Prime Minister. The time that really sticks in my mind is when Alan Moore cruelly cut her down to size in the pages of his Marvelman/Miracleman saga. Does anyone else remember this - or any of her other comic strip appearances...?

- Phil R.
In 1982, there was a satire in 2000 ad, Phil, where a robotic, cartooized Maggie appeared in SAM SLADE-Robo-Hunter.

The most potent depiction of Maggie for me was the political cartoon versions of her as Bodicea, with steel helmet and trident etc, sitting on rocks by the sea.

I thought she had a rather spiffing visage for cartoon purposes------I've often pondered, do those who truly go down in History, latch onto public imagination and stay there------ partly because of their striking features?

[think Josef Stalin, Winston Churchill, Julius Ceazer, and of course-----Maggie]

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:...
In 1982, there was a satire in 2000 ad, Phil, where a robotic, cartooized Maggie appeared in SAM SLADE-Robo-Hunter....
I had almost forgotten that one. But I do remember her appearances in Steve Bell's If... strip and the use of her barely disguised appearance in Dan Dare in Revolver.

And I see that both have been mentioned in that article. Sigh, I am getting too old for this. :-)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Wow! Rich was really quick off the mark!

I wonder if this is one he prepared earlier...? :?

- Phil R.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

On another two forums I am a frequent member on, topics on Maggie have been either locked or completely removed altogether.

This is the sort of reaction usually meted out to threads on notorious deviants---I've never seen this happen on an obituary to a former Head of State before---quite remarkable, and proof that Mags' very name still stimulates much heated debate.

Her devisive legacy ultimately still courts controversy, even after she is gone.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Maggie Thatcher, putting the "Hag" into "Hagiography".
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Archamedes

Post by Archamedes »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:On another two forums I am a frequent member on, topics on Maggie have been either locked or completely removed altogether.

This is the sort of reaction usually meted out to threads on notorious deviants---I've never seen this happen on an obituary to a former Head of State before---quite remarkable, and proof that Mags' very name still stimulates much heated debate.

Her devisive legacy ultimately still courts controversy, even after she is gone.
yeah The UK photography forum I use had their topic locked after 2 pages. But most people on there are very stuck up argumentative people anyway. You will usually find that most forums tend to ban topics such as politics & religion, usually because it causes nothing but problems. That said from forum to forum I have seen a huge difference in general attitudes to healthy debates. Some can go pages and pages with people putting their opinions forward with no drama, and other forums (Talk photography) have too many people who just want to bicker and cause nothing but flame wars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

The amount of Thatcherites on the Retro Gamer forum is somewhat shocking...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes Archimedes, I have left at least one forum because of negative vibes and general cynicism.

No such qualms on here, though!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The amount of Thatcherites on the Retro Gamer forum is somewhat shocking...
Also, in my experience, most Americans seem to adore Margaret Thatcher - as well as being big fans of Tony Blair!!! :shock:

I guess it's something to do with prophets 'not being without honour except in their own countries' (though I dread to think what Maggie and Tony were prophets of...!).

- Phil R.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Same way that many Brits admire Gorbachev, even though he's hated in Russia.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher.
the *****