Humour, adventure, or both?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Kid Robson

Humour, adventure, or both?

Post by Kid Robson »

Imagine Egmont (or whoever) decided to launch a range of new comics for kids. Do you think they'd be better doing separate humour and adventure titles, or combining them in the manner of Wham! Smash!, and Pow back in the '60s? What style do you think would sell best?
Last edited by Kid Robson on 29 Aug 2013, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Robson

Re: Humour, adventure, or both?

Post by Kid Robson »

Kid Robson wrote:Imagine Egmont (or whoever) decided to launch a range of new comics for kids. Do you think they'd be better doing separate humour and adventure titles, or combining them in the manner of Wham! Smash!, and Pow back in the '60s? What style do you think would sell best?
What a brilliant question, even if I do say so myself. I'd go for a mix of adventure and humour - that way, there's something for everyone.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

I didnt like the Buster mix of out and out adventure with humour, although Billy was great.
I prefered the more subtle mix of humour and adventure like the Wild Wonders in Valiant of Ace Trucking in 2000ad. An adventure title need some humour to softer the more hard edged stories.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

David McDonald wrote:I didnt like the Buster mix of out and out adventure with humour, although Billy was great.
I prefered the more subtle mix of humour and adventure like the Wild Wonders in Valiant of Ace Trucking in 2000ad. An adventure title need some humour to softer the more hard edged stories.
Billy Farmer, who, as the Leopard from Lime Street, was essentially a 'big cat' - much like Billy the Cat in The Beano. I dunno, I suppose it depends which age groups comics are aimed at, but I like both approaches at different times. Some comics could be all-humour, some all-adventure (with some strips having a hint of humour), and some comics being a mix of both. Just a shame there's no real comics industry in this country anymore.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Its got to be the mix of strips for me in the style of Buster, Wham, Smash etc I thin the all humour approach of todays Beano is missing something even an adventure cartoon style strip would be good (IMHO)

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Mr McScotty wrote:Its got to be the mix of strips for me in the style of Buster, Wham, Smash etc I thin the all humour approach of todays Beano is missing something even an adventure cartoon style strip would be good (IMHO)
I'd agree with that, McScotty. The Beano definitely seems to be missing something these days. Shame, as it wasn't too bad for a short while there.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Personally I like a mix of humour and adventure, given that the adventure is good. This is why I loved the content of The Digital Dandy, Wayne Thompson's 'Retro Active' was by far the best strip out of many brilliant strips and contrasted against the humour material perfectly. I wish we could see it getting printed in The Beano as it really is the best thing DC Thomson have ever written in my opinion, a simple addition of a '20 years in the future' or something could make sure Billy the Cat could still return in the Beano annuals alongside Retro Active.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

There is of course a new(ish) comic on the market which combines humour strips and adventure strips, and indeed humourous adventure strips:- The Phoenix.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

I actually tried to track down a copy of the "Phoenix" at the weekend and went (via 2 trains ok 1 train 1 and subway train) to the West end of Glasgow to Waitrose (last I read they stocked it) and not a copy to be found I asked and they hadn't heard of it and suggested the Beano (still I got some nice chicken breasts and white wine) then I went to Forbidden Planet in the city centre which has just about everything and again they didn't have it - I know you can buy a copy on line but they need to get it in the shops (picked up amongst other comics the latest copy of "Strip" instead which has 1 humour strip)

NP

Post by NP »

Ginger wrote:There is of course a new(ish) comic on the market which combines humour strips and adventure strips, and indeed humourous adventure strips:- The Phoenix.
It's not actually 'on the market' though- no Waitrose store I've ever been in has stocked it, despite The Phoenix claiming it's available in ALL Waitrose stores, in fact they've never heard of it. None of the local comic shops have it. Some kind people have made sure I've seen copies, thanks for that. But repeated attempts to a) find a copy 'on the market' and b) order a subscription online OR on the phone have met with a blank wall of disinterest. Well, if they don't want our custom, so be it. I would like to see what it's like, I would like to pay for it. No, they're not interested.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Oh dear. It is hard to track down, I agree, but I had no idea ordering copies or subscribing online or on the phone would be so diffcilut. They really ought to sort that out and fast!
I haven't seen many copies myself but I've seen a few, and it's very good.

But to go back to the original question, and particularly to this comment,
Kid Robson wrote:I'd go for a mix of adventure and humour - that way, there's something for everyone.
....the counter argument is that if you pay for a comic (and let's face it, comics aren't cheap any more: The Phoenix is 3 quid) you surely want to enjoy all of it, not just some of it.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

NP wrote:
Ginger wrote:There is of course a new(ish) comic on the market which combines humour strips and adventure strips, and indeed humourous adventure strips:- The Phoenix.
It's not actually 'on the market' though- no Waitrose store I've ever been in has stocked it, despite The Phoenix claiming it's available in ALL Waitrose stores, in fact they've never heard of it. None of the local comic shops have it. Some kind people have made sure I've seen copies, thanks for that. But repeated attempts to a) find a copy 'on the market' and b) order a subscription online OR on the phone have met with a blank wall of disinterest. Well, if they don't want our custom, so be it. I would like to see what it's like, I would like to pay for it. No, they're not interested.
Strange, all the Waitroses around my area supply a bunch of Phoenixes and I've seen quite a few people being them! In my local Waitrose, they sell a bunch of back issues as well (probably unsold old issues) and I see people come along and grab a bunch of issues. Although I have heard The Phoenix is like gold dust in other parts of the country, such a shame!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Mr McScotty wrote:I actually tried to track down a copy of the "Phoenix" at the weekend and went (via 2 trains ok 1 train 1 and subway train) to the West end of Glasgow to Waitrose (last I read they stocked it) and not a copy to be found I asked and they hadn't heard of it and suggested the Beano (still I got some nice chicken breasts and white wine) then I went to Forbidden Planet in the city centre which has just about everything and again they didn't have it - I know you can buy a copy on line but they need to get it in the shops (picked up amongst other comics the latest copy of "Strip" instead which has 1 humour strip)
McScotty, FP should have it, I've seen it there myself. As you look down the aisle from the till, it's usually on one of the higher right-hand shelves, almost half-way along.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Ginger wrote:Oh dear. It is hard to track down, I agree, but I had no idea ordering copies or subscribing online or on the phone would be so diffcilut. They really ought to sort that out and fast!
I haven't seen many copies myself but I've seen a few, and it's very good.

But to go back to the original question, and particularly to this comment,
Kid Robson wrote:I'd go for a mix of adventure and humour - that way, there's something for everyone.
....the counter argument is that if you pay for a comic (and let's face it, comics aren't cheap any more: The Phoenix is 3 quid) you surely want to enjoy all of it, not just some of it.
Well, the same thing can happen with any kind of anthology comic. No one is likely to enjoy every strip, whether the comic is all-humour, all-adventure or a mixture of both. That said, that's why comics probably sold more when they were relatively inexpensive. If the reader only enjoyed three strips out of five, it was still worth it.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Kid Robson wrote:Well, the same thing can happen with any kind of anthology comic. No one is likely to enjoy every strip, whether the comic is all-humour, all-adventure or a mixture of both.
True enough, you will alway enjoy some strips more than others, of course. But in my case, as a child, and largely still now, I would always skip any realisticly drawn adventure strips. They are just not my thing. If a comic is all humour, I will at least READ the whole thing.