Desert Island Strips

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Desert Island Strips

Post by Raven »

I'm a big fan of the Andrew Wilson-illustrated The Byrds of Paradise Isle from Buster and Monster Fun, the Wonder-Car team defected from Chips to Whizzer to get stranded as The Castaways in the early 70s (drawn by Ron Turner), ISPY has waxed lyrical about The Young Castaways from early Sparky in the past, and we've recently had posts about Castaways on Voodoo Island and Desert Island Daisy in the girls' comics.

Does anyone have any favourites from the tropical island castaway adventure genre? Are there many others?

I'm not sure Desert Island Dick counts!
Attachments
The Castaways Whizzer and Chips 29th April 1972.jpg
The Byrds of Paradise Isle Buster and Monster Fun 1st July 1978.jpg

philcom55

Re: Desert Island Strips

Post by philcom55 »

Two obvious candidates from DC Thomson were Beano's 'Shipwrecked Circus' and Beezer's 'Kings of Castaway Island'.

- Phil R.

Raven

Post by Raven »

One DC Thomson South Seas series I rather like is Guardian of Pagoda Light from The Hotspur (1972/73), about a 17th Century Captain and a native boy living on a dangerous headland, operating a navigational light to guide ships to safety for the East India Company traders, foiling rivals keen to destroy it, and making great use of the tropical setting.

Thanks, Phil. Now, what was that castaways strip in Buddy ... an update of Shipwrecked Circus, I think ...

EDIT: Circus Island!
Attachments
Guardian of Pagoda Light The Hotspur December 2nd 1972.jpg

Raven

Post by Raven »

Oh, and of course there's Lonely Larry from The Hotspur, and maybe the best DC Thomson South Seas saga: The Island of Monsters from The Dandy.

I'd be very interested to hear if there were any other island-bound IPC adventure serials.
Attachments
Lonely Larry The Hotspur Book For Boys 1977.jpg

Raven

Post by Raven »

Dunder Ed wrote:What about Shipwrecked School from Ipc?
I didn't mention Shipwreck School as it's not adventure, but it was my favourite strip in Wow. A great idea for a humour strip. Okay, it doesn't just have to be adventure!

Whizzer and Chips did another tropical island adventure serial from late 1979: The Island of Fear.
Attachments
The Island of Fear from Whizzer and Chips 13th October 1979.jpg

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Desert Island Dick from Topper;0)

The moving island in The Beano annual..

Raven

Post by Raven »

Peter Gray wrote: The moving island in The Beano annual..
Do tell more!

I've remembered another IPC serial now; one of those spot the clues and win prizes serials - Island of Suspicion from Jackpot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course there was also the long-running School Friend series 'Jill Crusoe'.

(...And, come to think of it, didn't the Wild Wonders start out as castaways?)

- Phil R.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

the island had wheels like a car!!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Peter Gray wrote:the island had wheels like a car!!
What period was this from? Do you have any to elaborate on plots?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...'The Tuffs of Terror Island' by one-time Wally Woodite Tony Coleman?

- Phil R.

Raven

Post by Raven »

philcom55 wrote:
(...And, come to think of it, didn't the Wild Wonders start out as castaways?)
They were from an island in the Hebrides, though; not very tropical! And I'm not sure if they were castaways rather than natives of said Worrag Island.

philcom55 wrote:...'The Tuffs of Terror Island' by one-time Wally Woodite Tony Coleman?
Oh, yes, of course, on their Australian isle of giant birds, with their ape man pal Urrg. I must have another look at some of them.
Attachments
The Tuffs of Terror Island Valiant Annual 1973.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course, one interesting aspect to that last one is that it started out in TV21.

Two more Fleetway/IPC candidates: 'Gorilla Island' and 'Castaways of Shark Island' in Tiger.

- Phil R.

Raven

Post by Raven »

philcom55 wrote:Of course, one interesting aspect to that last one is that it started out in TV21.

Two more Fleetway/IPC candidates: 'Gorilla Island' and 'Castaways of Shark Island' in Tiger.

- Phil R.
I haven't heard of those Phil, and would be interested to know more. Presumably these are from the days before Tiger became all sports? The Tiger of the Sixties seems quite interesting.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

1960s Tiger was a great title - at least as good as Lion and Valiant imho.

Gorilla Island was a nice 'Planet of the Apes' type story drawn by Frank Langford which actually predated the Charlton Heston film - though to be honest I'm not sure that the fictitious African island of Congola strictly counts as a desert island.

Castaways of Shark Island featured a much more traditional 'Lord of the Flies' scenario in which a group of boys had to rely on their wits to survive when they were shipwrecked on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific. Interestingly this series was drawn by a baffling array of different artists which even included Don Lawrence at one point (though I don't have those episodes).

- Phil Rushton