People who don't like comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Phoenix
Guru

Re: People who don't like comics

Post by Phoenix »

Your advert for Mirabelle neatly dovetails with the whole issue of dumbing down, Phil, but perhaps it would be some years later before the penny properly dropped. I'm attaching an advert here for two issues of Star Love Stories In Pictures, which appeared in Red Letter on January 13th 1979. For those who are unaware of the nature of Red Letter, it was a women's magazine, the rough equivalent of a text story paper for girls, 32 pages, 2 serials, 3 completes, an Editor's page, feature articles on such items as Stars' birthdays during that week, advice from a doctor (2 columns of a 3-column page), the readers' stars (Aries etc.), a pop music article, recipes, knitting pattern, adverts, and one picture joke. Replace the specifically female items with items of interest to adult males, put a couple more stories in, and you would have an adult male version, even down to the A4 size of the magazine, of an issue of The Rover or The Hotspur. Now, it seems to me that Red Letter, and its assorted clones such as Secrets and Red Star Weekly for example, may well be the papers that reasonably well educated girls would turn to after they grew out of Jackie and its Fleetway equivalents, whereas the less well educated, and those who had no desire whatsoever to read text stories, would turn to Star Love Stories In Pictures and their clones, which would give them some escapism without demanding much input from them. There are here therefore two stages of dumbing down, when seen from the point of view of those girls and young women who preferred to get their escapism by reading novels.
Attachments
starad.jpg

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

stevezodiac wrote:There are two kinds of people. Those who eat, drink, have sex, "like whatever is in the charts" and watch telly and then there are people who have hobbies and interests, read books, see films not just as entertainment but as an art form and have selective musical taste..
Hm. Not sure that "eating, drinking and having sex" and "having hobbies and interests, reading books, seeing films as art and having selective music tastes" are mutually exclusive... I like all of those things!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Sometimes all at the same time! :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'm doing them all RIGHT NOW!

---whaddya mean: 'alone???!!!'

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

:D

If you try to do all at once I hope you're using suitable protection...

...for your comics, of course. Wouldn't want the precious comics to get damaged by being splattered with food, drink and (yes, I think we'll leave this one there. Ed.)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I came from University Of Life - but still love & enjoy reading & discovering comics. My parents were anti-comics & still refuse to accept you learn more from life's Univ.

Many who like comics very likely won't be dictated to as to what you should be told to like and do (1001 things.. before you die. No thanks! I prefer what's under the radar).

And whilst back to the subject of Punk - The Undertones' "My Perfect Cousin" - the lyrics could've been written about me & my older sister. Nothing in common, got parents' approval & they let her deface my comic collection by drawing green measles on their faces!

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

It seems that my love of comics came from my grandad who had a large collection of comics american comics from the 40s to when he died in the early sixties. As I was very young when he died it must have been in my genes as I don't remember him. I have found lots of people say I don't read comics but when find a comic read it when no one is looking.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

I honestly think that some adults who claim they "don't like comics" actually don't know how to read comics. They've never learnt how to do it, and they're covering for themselves.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Actually I sometimes wonder whether it's even possible to 'read' comics properly if you didn't acquire the necessary skills when young. In the same way my father's mother, who was born in the nineteenth century, could never understand films or television: to her they were only ever a confusing blur of meaningless shapes and sounds!

She could be murder on Christmas Day when everyone else settled down to watch It's a Wonderful Life or The Sound of Music! :)

- Phil R.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Perhaps that was the case of my parents - though my father was about 9 when Dandy launched so could've been old enough to start perhaps.

I once asked him if he read or knew of any when he was young & my then age - he didn't & was disgusted I asked him.

One strip he used to disapprove of me liking was "Lolly, Pop" from Whizzer & Chips I think (or was it Whooppee?). Perhaps becuase he was tight fisted & tactless like Pop & was afraid I'd might get ideas to outwit him like Archie did.

Not that my father ran businesses or was nearly as rich as the Pop. But then my parents had delusions of grandeur.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

There are still loads of folks in that particular bracket, David---much to my eternal amusement!