Are you a collector, or just a fan?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

philcom55

Re: Are you a collector, or just a fan?

Post by philcom55 »

...Also, if anyone has items of historical interest it might be worth contacting local universities or libraries to see if they'd be interested in some kind of bequest.

- Phil R.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:The original Marney strip was drawn for Buster by John Stokes, but as yet I haven't been able to discover who was responsible for the colour version that appeared in Sunny - in spite of the fact that I own a page of original art from it!

- Phil Rushton
Thanks anyway Phil. Are we atlking about Sunny from the 80s?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

standby4action wrote:...Are we atlking about Sunny from the 80s?
That's it. Some of those later nursery comics featured really impressive pieces of anonymous wildlife art.

Here's a panel from my own page of original Marney art:

- Phil Rushton

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:Here's a panel from my own page of original Marney art:
- Phil Rushton
Just WOW! Thanks for sharing so much stuff Phil

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Lew Stringer wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:yes Geoff, this problem of friends and relatives who will eventually 'inherit' our priceless memories---having next to no interest in vintage comics, and may see this as being 'saddled with useless junk'------presents a problem that has sometimes crossed my mind......

---will the piles of 'precious booty' simply be chucked into a skip by an indefferent future council binman, en route to being recycled into consumer packaging?

[ the comics, not the bin man!]

Just provide information to family or close friends for them to have the comics collected by chosen comics dealer. (Let the dealer know of course.) Also, specify whether you want the money to go to the dealer, the family, friends, or charity, or a mixture of all. Job done!

You can do it legally with a will of course.

Points well put, and taken, Lew!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

hi, lew, of course there will be a majority of my comics that could be off loaded to a dealer with minimal fuss, but there will be always that odd one or two that requires more attention - the ones that are very rare. Wouldn't you like to see an organisation (non-profiting of course) that could cater for such items in a museum kind of way. I'm no business man or entrepreneur, but I am a comic enthusiast who would love to see some organisation, in a museum sense, who could exhibit every comic (in the highest grade possible) in one centre. And I do mean every British comic, including the likes of lesser known titles plus every free gift that came with the respective issues. Just think, in the past, how many Beano no. 1's were thrown into the bin without any thought. And that's my nightmare: one of my rare issues along with its free gift will be tossed away unceremoniously. Yes, of course, I could outline the respective issue's value to my potential benefactors, but I don't want a gold digger selling my pride and joy to the highest bidder either. I would rather it go to an organisation that would nurture it for its true value and, more importantly, its position in the history of British Comics.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Are you familiar with the cartoon museum (near the British museum)?

http://www.cartoonmuseum.org
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: richardandsheaf

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

The Cartoon Museum will not display comics as Anita the curator has told me that she is wary of the damage that continued exposure to light can do to the paper. Having said that they store comics for research. Space is limited but they do have, for example, a dummy issue of Eagle with non-familiar logo.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I like Geoffs' idea of setting up a modest Museum dedicated to preserving the collection of vintage comics by somebody who cares: I'd rather donate my vintage Sparkys etc to such an Establishment, as I doubt if any of my relatives would want to hold onto them after I'm gone.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Its a great idea. Maybe some duplicate issues could be open for kids and big kids to read, with money being made selling donated duplicates too?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Sooner or later I'm sure that everything will be digitized and available online, while the originals will be sealed away in protective vaults that can only be entered by accredited archivists. Though this may be a matter of regret to those of us who grew up with a print culture I doubt if later generations will have any interest in dusty piles of crumbling paper anyway - especially if the electronic versions can be accessed via sophisticated menus that allow the viewer to search by character, artist, subject, etc. Imagine being able to call up high-resolution scans of every episode of the Steel Claw at the click of a mouse, without having to wade through page after page of Captain Hurricane in the process; or even summoning up a list of something as esoteric as every appearance of the Forth Bridge in any comic strip!

In fact if the scans are detailed enough I'm not even sure that there'd be any logical reason to waste money on preserving original comics at all - other than for purely sentimental reasons. :?

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

These points remind me of the declaration from D C Thomson that 'non-stop scanning of vintage comics was well under way en masse' which now seems quite a while ago, the assumption being that DVD sets of complete decades of BEANOS/DANDYs etc would be availible quite legally for sale through this channel: all has gone quiet on this front, sadly.

Any DCT 'insiders' [who I know read a lot of the posts on here] have any news on this score?

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:These points remind me of the declaration from D C Thomson that 'non-stop scanning of vintage comics was well under way en masse' which now seems quite a while ago, the assumption being that DVD sets of complete decades of BEANOS/DANDYs etc would be availible quite legally for sale through this channel: all has gone quiet on this front, sadly.

Any DCT 'insiders' [who I know read a lot of the posts on here] have any news on this score?
Won't these be downloads? With the advent of 4G large files can be downloaded in a matter of seconds plus it will save the producer in this case DCT a lot of money in packaging and distribution costs

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

I disagree with the digitalized format. I've been to Mexico and touched pyramids: see them on a brochure - there's no comparison. Within a centre dedicated to comics, the high grade copies of course would be preserved and out of bounds from itchy fingers, but lower grade copies could be available for anyone to rummage through at their leisure. Remember that thrill, when you're rummaging through the back issue bins, and discover an issue that you've long sought after?