What comics are you reading?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

What comics are you reading?

Post by starscape »

Just a place to post what you are reading, as opposed to what you are buying. So, I don't mean buying and flicking through an odd issue that you've read but runs, graphic novels, comic albums etc. that you are currently going through.

At the moment, I'm reading for the first time, mid-1980s Eagle (with a rapidly shrinking Tiger). I was familiar with Doomlord from the Hibernia collection but I'm really enjoying Death Wish and a very different Billy's Boots (reads like Wolfie Smith from Tornado but with football instead of ESP). Dan Dare is okay but not the best of stories, whilst DADD is awful.

Thirteeth Floor is always interesting, whilst SOS has some good action. Computer Warrior is also pretty good, much to my surprise. Mind you, with Wagner and Western as the creators, it can never be too bad.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

philcom55

Re: What comics are you reading?

Post by philcom55 »

...'DADD'? :?

- Phil R.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Dial A Dawn Destructor aka DADD

American rock group who only play gigs in the daytime as, at night, they become an all action detective agency.

Truly awful.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Sounds appalling!

...I really must dig some out! :)

SID

Post by SID »

starscape wrote:Dial A Dawn Destructor aka DADD

American rock group who only play gigs in the daytime as, at night, they become an all action detective agency.

Truly awful.
It must be since I don't remember it (I tend to forget the less memoriable strips). Though I am tempted to look at my Eagle collection and have a look.

The comics that I currently read on a regular basis are what is listed in my Avatar. Yep, I collect them but only because I like reading them. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

At the moment I'm slowly going through my Alan cass collection of comics , some early marvel superhero stores lots of thunder agents plus alsorts of sci fi story's

Sweeny Toddler

Post by Sweeny Toddler »

Reading through my Champ collection. I remember thinking Pendragon was brilliant, We Are United was obviously excellent and nothing has changed my mind about that over the years but Kids Rule Okay is a great storyline with good characters. Mikes Millions was maybe the weakest and perhaps got a bit samey but what the hey I liked it all the same.

I always thought Puss n Boots was too good to be stuck away in the middle and I didn't realise it used to be in the topper. Great strip that, I still remember the P&B stickers from champ "Socit Tuem" Tee Hee!

SID

Post by SID »

I have entire collections of Champ, Buddy and Spike. All good comics. I found them far more hip than than the more staid Victor.

Spike was my favourite. I wish the other comics had merged with it and possibly it could have lasted a little longer though I doubt it.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Great fun, and utterly gorgeous.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Currently reading through the Brave Book for Boys from 1941. As it's from 1941 the Chinese, while still being walking stereotypes, are models of virtue and the Japanese have bloodshot eyes, broken teeth and hiss when they're happy.

Also reading the odd Commando ("The Tiger is Loose" is an epic), and The Phoenix as I get it. I don't much like Mega Robo Bros...

SID

Post by SID »

Currently reading the Thunderbirds Collection that I got at Christmas. Have read all the Thunderbirds stories and onto Lady Penelope.

Really good.

johnny_jane

Post by johnny_jane »

Currently reading the collected Rogue Trooper stories (Tales of Nu-Earth) :)

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Currently wading through the american 'Fables' GN's, really reat stuuf, Buckingham's art is superb. Also on a reread of the Eagle, and DADD is not great, but on the whole the Eagle stands up as having a couple of really good stories in each issue. Doomlord, 13TH Floor, Dan Dare was alway's a good read, until they made him marshal!
I never got on with the Computer Warrior, never into gaming and you needed that knowledge, especially in the early issues. Some great complete stories too, The Avenger, Comrad Bronski, the Tower King (cough!) The Hard Men etc. It had a lot of licenced stuff too, not bad for a 10 year old, but does not age well.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

I've just received a large bundle of Whizzer and Chips comics from 1975 - 1979 so have begun reading those. There's some interesting stuff in the few issues I've read already - the greatest raid ever (in which the Chip-its stole Odd Balls page and kept him hostage) and other things. I've blogged about a missing free gift on my blog, which was in the comic right at the top of my pile! A promising start!

http://www.wackycomics.com/2014/03/joke ... -gift.html
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

A very memorable raid...nothing has topped that one!! Except for Sid's snake raiding Chips in the first issue where Shiner was meant to be!!!