Beano and Dandy summer specials out now!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Beano and Dandy summer specials out now!

Post by AndyB »

The stickers on mine were stitched between pages 2 and 3.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Definitely no stickers in mine.

Also, a poor typo on one of the puzzles my son noticed as he was doing them (safe in the knowledge that he's not spoiling his collection as a replacement is on its way :D ).

Pages 28-29, 13 across - oh dear, the answer doesn't quite fit in there unless we move the pre-printed "K". Thumbs down to the proof readers!

Only managed to have a quick look myself so far, but really laughed out loud at the first D&G strip!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Whoops. A typo in a speech bubble can be forgiven, but making a puzzle impossible to complete? Not good.
AndyB wrote:The stickers on mine were stitched between pages 2 and 3.
Same here.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Still no luck obtaining them at my local Smiths. I asked the staff, who were not even aware that last year's Dandy Special was still on sale. ("Are you sure it's not this years with the same cover?" :roll: I showed them the 2013 copyright date on the back to prove its age.)

They tried to check their system but although they found the titles the system blocked them from checking when they'd be delivered! So I'm no wiser.

Checked at Euston station on Saturday too. None there either. I'll give it another week then order them direct from DCT, but I do like to buy them off the shelf if possible to give shops the incentive to keep ordering comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I ordered them direct from DCT last week as i was fed up going to various whs all over london,they still haven't arrived yet & they had better have the stickers :lol:

SID
Location: Reading comics since 1969. Collecting comics since 1975.

Post by SID »

Whsmith Bishop Auckland still has no Dandy Special.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016-), MAD (2016-), Deadpool Unleashed (2017-), Marvel Legends (2017-), Batman: TOTDK (2020-), The77 (2020-), SHIFT (2020-).

judomole

Post by judomole »

Hi
ordered my specials in the double pack from DC Thomson shop
they arrived today after 2 weeks but the Beano did not have the stickers with it :headbash:
told the shop and I'm now waiting for a reply
I have now found out that my Dandy has 2 page 38's in the blinky strip and no page 39 :censored:
what is going on :?:
this is not great quality control
Last edited by judomole on 16 Jul 2014, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

On holiday in the Borders just now, just checked WH Smith in Berwick upon Tweed and they have a plentiful supply of both specials (with the stickers), last years last ever Dandy special and the mighty 2000ad Sci Fi Special (which I just finished reading and thoroughly enjoyed it, roll on the new winter special!).

Also went into a lovely little bookshop, can't remember the name, got some old annuals, my son got some Doctor Who paperbacks and I picked up an awesome phone book sized volume dated 1987, charity compilation "Cartoon Aid" for £2, lots of unfamiliar stuff to me in there along with loads of the old favourites. Surprisingly a complete Tintin book is in it near the end, "The Black Island", that should serve as a good introduction to Tintin for my boys.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

judomole wrote:Hi
they arrived today after 2 weeks but the Beano did not have the stickers with it :headbash:
I have now found out that my Dandy has 2 page 38's in the blinky strip and no page 39 :censored:
I noticed the same problem... except it isn't a case of two page 38s and no page 39. They are two different pages, but they accidentally printed page 1 of that strip twice.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
I noticed the same problem... except it isn't a case of two page 38s and no page 39. They are two different pages, but they accidentally printed page 1 of that strip twice.

Mistakes happen, especially at the short deadline that special was put together.

In the case of the Beano Special however, if the bound-in stickers aren't there it's the fault of the printers so DCT wouldn't even be aware of it.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

judomole

Post by judomole »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:

Mistakes happen, especially at the short deadline that special was put together.

In the case of the Beano Special however, if the bound-in stickers aren't there it's the fault of the printers so DCT wouldn't even be aware of it.
I have let dc Thomson shop know about the faults and I'm awaiting a response.
As for being the printers fault that won't wash this product is produced by dc Thomson and it's there responsibility to sub contract reliable partners . Anyway are you really saying that no one from dc Thomson looked at the product before putting it on sale. Mistake's do happen but this is still poor quality control
Last edited by judomole on 17 Jul 2014, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

judomole

Post by judomole »

Digifiend wrote:
yes thats the problem i have plus in the beano the crossword has the k in the wrong answer box

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

I'm more bothered by the rather obvious spelling error on the cover of the Dandy special... :o

It appears these specials were produced to a tighter dealing than normal. I remember I only had two days over a weekend to draw the front and back cover. Still, the Dandy special contains loads of superb (mostly) hand coloured strips. A choice set of reprints, if you ask me, and worth a fiver of anyone's money.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

starscape

Post by starscape »

What spelling error?

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

starscape wrote:What spelling error?
'It's a bit nippy roound here.' Actually, it may just be a Scottish crab... :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk