annuals

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: annuals

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote:Even without the benefit of hindsight that is one creepy looking book cover. Was the grotty looking Coojeebear part of Rolf's act? Professionally I mean.
I bought a 1971 issue of Playhour and Robin a few weeks ago, which I fondly remember as my first comic when I was a tot. Rolf Harris and Coojeebear ("Rolf's playful little bear pet from Australia") - which is what I remember Coojeebear from - is one of the regular strips in it; at the bottom a copyright notice notes that Rolf Harris Enterprises Ltd. "own all rights in Coojeebear."

He's tiny in the comic, but was played by an actor in costume on TV where he was, indeed, part of Rolf's act. I think there were Coojeebear koala toys, too. The character looks a bit scary on that annual cover.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The three 1960s "Avengers" annuals can fetch pretty high prices too! I'm sure they wern't made by World Distributors but can't recall which company did them. The 1967 one featuring Emma Peel/Diana rigg usually fetches about £30-50.
A Face unclouded by thought.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Si-fi, horror annuals and comics seem to do pretty well.Its a pity westerns are out of fashion I have a lot of them.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

alanultron5 wrote:The three 1960s "Avengers" annuals can fetch pretty high prices too! I'm sure they wern't made by World Distributors but can't recall which company did them.
Atlas Publications.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

abacus wrote:I usually collect annuals with comic strips, i saw a world distributor book of the bewitched tv series but because it was all story I didn't buy it.
I have that one.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was a big fan of secret agent shows in the sixties and asked for the Danger Man Story Annual for birthday/christmas. Remember being disappointed that it was all text stories. I also loved Its a Knockout but thanks to Stuart Hall there's little chance of dvd compilations ever being released now. I just hope nobody from much loved shows like Dad's Army and Porridge ever get exposed as sleazeballs.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:Speaking of annuals does anybody want to buy a second-hand copy of this 1960s item with lovely Brian Lewis artwork? :?

...Hmmm, thought not! :roll:

- Phil Rushton
I won't be surprised if a few people tried to sell those in the last few weeks, knowing that if Rolf got convicted, they'd become worthless. After all, who wants Gary Glitter or Jimmy Savile merchandise nowadays?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thanks Tony! I really don't know anything about Atlas- daresay the three Avengers annuals are the only really collectible ones they produced. Someone has the two Linda Thorson ones on E.Bay now (1968 & 69) starting price 19.99 I think! The Emma Peel (1967) not there though- that one very sought after! Sorry you missed out on 1st Pertwee Tony- it's a fine read in my opinion- some reviewer once said it was an "Alternate Season Eight" I fully agree- it really does have a season 7 flavour to most of its stories!
A Face unclouded by thought.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I wonder if that was Rolf's poor daughter Bindi (born 1964) on the cover of that annual.

He & Coojebear has left Playhour by time I was reading it; first I'd heard of the creature was when a magazine or TV plug would say he & Coojebear would be at such and such panto this year. And I'd just think who/what is Coojebear?

Only time I saw this bear on TV was when he appeared with Rolf when he was in the "Star Chair" (what was to be Big Daddy's) on Central TVs lame Tiswas replacement The Saturday Show.

I'll also agreed that it's a lot of childhood memories destroyed for me & many others. I remmeber the dire (saw some of it on YouTube before his conviction. Why?) Rolf On Saturday OK? as Doctor Who summer replacement. I guess that means The Goodies' hilarious Scatty Safari won't get a DVD release.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Speaking of those Avengers annuals:

I'd spend years & decades trying to find them & then being too skint to buy them when they became available.

Then 2 years ago in the space of a couple of months, I bought the final one in a fair condition for 25p in a Car Boot sale, when in a charity shop I bought the first two at £7.50 each. The lady in the shop said they sent a valuer in to check & give prices for these (to be fair they were in fair condition with some loosening pages), even after a shopper made silly money bids for all three annuals just as they came in. I told her about the third one I'd already got from a Boot sale - she said I'd got a bargain of the century.

Funny how & where things turn up and out. Still pinching myself on those!

NP

Post by NP »

stevezodiac wrote:I was a big fan of secret agent shows in the sixties and asked for the Danger Man Story Annual for birthday/christmas. Remember being disappointed that it was all text stories. I also loved Its a Knockout but thanks to Stuart Hall there's little chance of dvd compilations ever being released now. I just hope nobody from much loved shows like Dad's Army and Porridge ever get exposed as sleazeballs.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a particular much-loved personality brought to account soon. If you don't know who I mean, best leave it that way, it's going to break a lot of hearts.

Raven

Post by Raven »

DavidKW wrote: He & Coojebear has left Playhour by time I was reading it; first I'd heard of the creature was when a magazine or TV plug would say he & Coojebear would be at such and such panto this year. And I'd just think who/what is Coojebear?

Only time I saw this bear on TV was when he appeared with Rolf when he was in the "Star Chair" (what was to be Big Daddy's) on Central TVs lame Tiswas replacement The Saturday Show.

I'm surprised the character was still around by 1982.

The comic strip was originally in TV Toyland, which launched in 1966 - Coojeebear is from the 1966 TV series 'Hey Presto! It's Rolf! - until that title joined up with Playhour.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
I'm surprised the character was still around by 1982.

The comic strip was originally in TV Toyland, which launched in 1966 - Coojeebear is from the 1966 TV series 'Hey Presto! It's Rolf! - until that title joined up with Playhour.
Ah yes, thanks Raven (and for the earlier info). I vaguely remember Coojeebear now from the comic. I wasn't a big fan of Rolf. I remember him often guesting on 1960s TV variety shows in the evenings with his Jake the Peg act, and his painting, but I didn't follow the kids shows he did. Glad I didn't now.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

abacus

Post by abacus »

As a run of the mill collector with minimal knowledge on the subject, I'm delighted to pick up scraps of information here and there.I recently sat and watched this fellow on Youtube who had an annual in front of him.First he spoke at length about the cover ,pointing out that it had a year date on the front which he thought must have some meaning or other, then he went on to describe the measurement and dimensions of the annual.Eventually he discovered the pages inside and noted that some were in colour and some in black and white.This is where my weary spirits meagre knowledge would have come in handy, I could have helped him out by telling him it was called a book! :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

NP Right now on the news the main story is Sir Cliff Richard's House being searched in connection with a sexual assault in the 1980s.