Uncensored Action! (The Best of Action)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

geoff42

Re: Uncensored Action! (The Best of Action)

Post by geoff42 »

£1240 and counting...

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

£1300 now... but, as lew and phoenix kind of exchanged, you can imagine a james bond type of villain waiting in the shadows with a smirk, observing in silence (almost menacingly) and ready to unleash his one and only bid at the death that will obliterate the tick-tack bids beforehand. Thing is, before all this tick-tack, this man in the shadows may have projected an original bid of £1500 but, with the help of the minnows jostling for position, has now a position to re-adjust his stance. Had everyone kept their powder dry, this man may have been outwitted in the end. I can accept the notion of bidding to price out most of your rivals, but there is always that one in the shadows who will land a sucker punch. Patience is a virtue. Never show your hand until you're called.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...On the other hand, if you bid the maximum you're prepared to pay from the very beginning you can't really lose - even if you DO lose!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:...On the other hand, if you bid the maximum you're prepared to pay from the very beginning you can't really lose - even if you DO lose!
Over £1400 now, and nine people bidding on it so far with a current total of 35 bids. And still five days to go!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Re Phoenix's mention that in Martin Barker's introduction to Action:The Story of a Violent Comic he states "...some additional reprinted stories...are available in my Comics: Ideology, Power and the Critics, Manchester University Press 1989.."

I had a look at the copy of Comics: Ideology, Power and the Critics in the library at the university where I work, and the visual material consists of one three-page Dredger story, reproduced at half the original printed size, plus a few Hook Jaw panels.

A worthwhile book in many ways, but not if you're looking for reprints from Action.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:I had a look at the copy of Comics: Ideology, Power and the Critics in the library at the university where I work, and the visual material consists of one three-page Dredger story, reproduced at half the original printed size, plus a few Hook Jaw panels.
Did you overlook the three-page instalment of Hell's Highway on pp31-33, David? Surely the thirty-seven pages of text would also have been of some interest, wouldn't they?

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

After the early frenetic bidding, I thought there might have been a lull for a few days. But not yet, the bids keep on coming and have sailed past my initial estimate of £1500.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And it has gone zooming past my estimate of £2,000. As of my last look, we are now looking at a record £2,150.00 for issue 37. And when you consider that we still have 3 days 22 hours to go, we could see the £3,000 barrier being passed on this auction.

And if it goes past the £5,000 mark, I am going to just sit and stare in awe at the screen thinking of the comic fan who has such deep pockets.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

If it goes past £5k then I'm selling mine! That's what my wife tells me!!

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

How does that compare with the current values of Beano No.1 and Dandy No.1? Just curious.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

suebutcher wrote:How does that compare with the current values of Beano No.1 and Dandy No.1? Just curious.
A Beano No1 has fetched over £12,000 at auction before and a Dandy No1 has certainly fetched nearly £8000 on its own although there was also the Dandy No1 complete with Express Whistler free gift that went for over £20,000.

SID

Post by SID »

Goes to show that people are still willing to pay out.

Will be interesting on how much this goes for.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

judomole

Post by judomole »

well its now over TWO thousand Pounds and still 3 days to go
how do the Wonga loans work again !!! :lol:

starscape

Post by starscape »

I was considering a £2k bid, in the belief that I could probably still get £2k if I sold privately (if need be). Trouble is, with it being above the previous record, I've no idea if this is a new 'price' or a fluke. Under £2k and I'm pretty sure the comic holds it's value. Over it and I'm not so sure. Possibly though.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

SID

Post by SID »

£2,300.01 at the moment with 7 hours to go.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).