Uncensored Action! (The Best of Action)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Uncensored Action! (The Best of Action)

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I assume this is the same Robin Smith who started doing covers---then later full strips for 2000 AD in the early 80s onwards------dammit, even his signature looks familiar!

Robbo is a very good artist, the one I am thinking of.......

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I assume this is the same Robin Smith who started doing covers---then later full strips for 2000 AD in the early 80s onwards------dammit, even his signature looks familiar!

Yes, same person. I always liked his work. I knew him socially and he was always helpful with advice when I used to visit the 2000AD offices, and if memory serves me right introduced me to humour group editor Bob Paynter when I was looking to break into comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I assume this is the same Robin Smith who started doing covers---then later full strips for 2000 AD in the early 80s onwards------dammit, even his signature looks familiar!

Yes, same person. I always liked his work. I knew him socially and he was always helpful with advice when I used to visit the 2000AD offices, and if memory serves me right introduced me to humour group editor Bob Paynter when I was looking to break into comics.
Wow, that deal was even better than you mentioned Geoff. I love Robin's work on 2000AD and know that I will never be able to afford a page of his art.

Oh well, at least the comic has gone to a good home.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

damn right, col. This is no potential future investment thing. This is purely to preserve a rare item in comic history. I'm already making plans to ensure it will be passed on to another serious collector before my death and allow it to endure in its lovely condition for ever. Plus, the letter from Robin Smith will be attached, of course. Like I said, it doesn't get better than this - obtaining a piece of rare history.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Kevin O Neill sometimes manages to sell single pages of original artwork for 1000 pounds apiece or more---there is a large thread on this on the 2000 AD forum, some of the 2000 AD artists , past and present, sometimes manage to sell commissioned customized pieces to uber-fans with plenty of dough-----this can be quite lucrative, and seems to pay better than the going Industry rate.

As I mentioned on here fairly recently, Brian Bolland only got paid 55 pounds a page for his first JUDGE DEATH story, [1980] and I am sure that particular characters' imagery has gone on to generate a tidy sum [for someone]---BB is doing fine now though, by all accounts.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

£55? That's a lot of cash. I hope he invests it wisely towards art college. I see big things for the lad, if he'll just knuckle down, stop playing so fast and loose with his style and pay a bit of attention to detail. It's where the devil is, Bolland!