First all-English superhero (really?)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

First all-English superhero (really?)

Post by starscape »

Got this press release. I've very much got problems with it. Union Jack was English. Captain Britian was English with his own comic. Jack Staff was English, as is Mudman and they had their own comics. The nearest claim has to be 'first superhero with English in his name that has his own comic' - which doesn't strike me as particularly profound. If he was called Halifaxman or something, that might be a little more newsworthy but then, Excalibur even had Captain Midlands (as well as a few local paper superheroes dotted about).
The first-ever comic book starring an all-English superhero - Englishman - has been launched with an edgy new series from award-winning publisher Eco Comics.

Englishman #1 - a free digitally-exclusive title written by Chris Bunting and illustrated by Valentin Ramon - tackles issues facing modern-day England, including surveillance, growing population, political correctness, religion, urbanisation, diminishing self-sufficiency and extremism.

In what is thought to be a world-first, Englishman #1 is a script comic book. By combining script and selected full art pages, the series aims to combine the storytelling strengths of comics, illustrated prose, published stage plays and cinema.

Chris Bunting says: "Englishman isn't just an English Captain America, or the first ever all-English super hero to star in his own comic book series. It is a social commentary - an extrapolation of current social affairs to see what could become of our country in the near future. Expect dark and edgy - perfectly realised by the art of Valentin Ramon.

"It's a typically eccentric English experiment - entirely apt for Englishman."

Englishman will face quintessentially English adversaries such as Greenbelt and the Red Lion, plus famous names from England's rich history and legend, such as Guy Fawkes and the Cerne Giant.

Englishman #1 is a paperless-exclusive digital issue. It is available now via the Eco Comics store http://www.mohawkmedia.co.uk/ecocomics for free download in various digital formats including iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows 8. It is available from the publisher directly and its digital partners.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Re: First all-English superhero (really?)

Post by Lew Stringer »

starscape wrote:Got this press release. I've very much got problems with it. Union Jack was English. Captain Britian was English with his own comic. Jack Staff was English, as is Mudman and they had their own comics. The nearest claim has to be 'first superhero with English in his name that has his own comic' - which doesn't strike me as particularly profound. If he was called Halifaxman or something, that might be a little more newsworthy but then, Excalibur even had Captain Midlands (as well as a few local paper superheroes dotted about).
Yeah, bit of a non-event in that respect isn't it? There have been tons of English superheroes before, especially in the 1950s. The part about him tackling contemporary issues is a better angle to promote.

Anyway, looked at the website but couldn't find the comic to download.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

"It's a typically eccentric English experiment" drawn by a Swiss/Spanish artist... :-)
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Funniest comic "news story" of the year!
The first-ever comic book starring an all-English superhero - Englishman
I think this is comprehensively blown out of the water. I doubt it's even the first one of the 21st century!
Englishman #1 - a free digitally-exclusive title
You mean a "webcomic"? I know that term turns people off, but there are some good ones XD
tackles issues facing modern-day England, including surveillance, growing population, political correctness, religion, urbanisation, diminishing self-sufficiency and extremism.
Could be interesting... could just be another attempt at "worthiness". Whatever happened to superheroes who were fun? (Oh yeah, they're all in Marvel Essentials!)
In what is thought to be a world-first
:lol:
Englishman #1 is a script comic book. By combining script and selected full art pages
"We didn't finish it in time". Also Tintin and Alph-Art is a bit like this too. Though that had a better excuse of the artist dying before he finished it.
the series aims to combine the storytelling strengths of comics, illustrated prose, published stage plays and cinema.
Surely the fanatical mantra of "show, don't tell" makes comics "cinematic"? But if you have lots of text, it's "telling, now showing"? (I, and the creators of Commando, see that as a good thing, though!)
Englishman isn't just an English Captain America, or the first ever all-English super hero to star in his own comic book series
Did they just contradict themselves?
It is a social commentary - an extrapolation of current social affairs to see what could become of our country in the near future.
Gee, I wonder why nobody was doing a comic like that in, say, 1977?
Englishman will face quintessentially English adversaries such as Greenbelt and the Red Lion, plus famous names from England's rich history and legend, such as Guy Fawkes and the Cerne Giant.
Adversaries with names like that? Why not Garlicman, The Don and Captain Bratwurst? :lol: (lets let's not forget the sinister collective known as "The Tea Party", apparently from Lincolnshire).
Englishman #1 is a paperless
Comics have officially gone middle class!
free download in various digital formats including iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows 8.
Not, erm, other versions of Windows, then? I've had this idea, though - why not turn it into reasonably-sized "jpg" pictures, and put it on "html" pages on a "website" on the "internet"? If it's free anyway...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I clicked on the cover image on the website but nothing happened. However I found a drawing of Englishman on another page. Here he is for anyone interested:

http://blog.mohawkmedia.co.uk/wp-conten ... ges/em.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

That's different. I'll give them that. I like the art style, but not sure if I could give it house room up here North of the border! :lol:

Actually, I like their ambition and I hope it does well even if the hyperbole falls a little flat.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

colcool007 wrote:Actually, I like their ambition and I hope it does well even if the hyperbole falls a little flat.
Hyperbole? A post on their blog headlined Comixology Announces Digital Distribution Agreement With Eco Comics suggests they should be called Ego Comics! :D

But, yeah, good luck to them. A surfeit of self belief never harmed Stan Lee's career...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:I clicked on the cover image on the website but nothing happened. However I found a drawing of Englishman on another page. Here he is for anyone interested:

http://blog.mohawkmedia.co.uk/wp-conten ... ges/em.jpg
If he's supposed to be specifically English, why is there a Union Jack on the palm of his hand?
Last edited by Digifiend on 19 Aug 2014, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Apart from what's been noted about English superheroes, I would add that the mixture of text and illos, isn't original. Whether it is Rupert format, also seen in different layouts in older British comics for decades, or the Moonstone Phantom Generations comics which featured a page of text opposite a full page illo, or Dutch strips such as Kapitein Rob; Eric de Noorman, Rikii Visser etc., the mixture of text and illos is an established part of comics. Actually, the Moonstone layout, which appears to most resemble this new venture, isn't really comics. It is more an illustrated tale which doesn't require the artist to use the skills necessary for telling a comics tale. But that's only my opinion :D