Graphic Novels

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: Graphic Novels

Post by paw broon »

The Dan Dare books are just the same as any other collection of previously published stories or comics. As I wrote earlier, V; Watchmen; Jack Staff; Miracleman; Judge Dredd etc. are collections of previously published episodes, just the same as Dan Dare. There are many stories which appear for the first time in books without having been published elsewhere, Killing Joke being but one example. I'm sure we can use the term, "big comics", or, G.N.'s for them all. 8)
But I'd like to add another to my suggestions, Bravo for Adventure by the wonderful Alex Toth. A stand alone story which is exciting, exquisitely drawn, humourous, beautifully paced and simply a treat for the eyes. If you don't mind a bit poorer reproduction, you can have a read here:-
http://pangolinbasement.blogspot.co.uk/ ... .html#more

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Another excellent choice Paw re Toths "Bravo for Adventure " then again everything (imho) Toth did was fantastic . Wasn't "Bravo" technically a collection as (if I'm not wrong) as it first appeared in Warrens "Rook" magazine (issues 3 and 4) in 1980 not that this is an issue was just wondering what came first the one off by Dragon Lady Press version (my copy is packed away) or the monthly serial

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Do you know, that never occurred to me. But as I'm sitting right next to an Overstreet Guide, I'll look it up.
You're bang on re. Rook, numbers 3 & 4 around 1980 but the collection is not listed in Overstreet. Needless to say, I can't lay my hands on my copy.
A search online does show that the Dragon Lady book appeared in 1987, according to some sources, so it is a collection of previous episodes. Well done.
As you note, it doesn't really matter and Toth is a master, anyway.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Te good thing about Toth is that there are lots of Toth books/collections out there so I always have a wee supply of his work. I managed to pick up Toth by Design by Darrell McNeil a massive tome of his cartoon model sheets and some other stuff (363 pages) Just waiting for a simialr John Romita and Frank Robbins book.

Incidentally if anyone is wanting any GNs I have a few I am happy to let go for postage is The Celts (Corto Maltese) by Hugo Pratt, Hard Boiled Detective Stories by Charles Burns, Buck Godot/ Myth Adventure by Phil Foglio some Swamp Thing, Tank Girl, Love and Rockets etc if not no worries I'll pop em inot the charity shops

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Anyone wanting to be thoroughly entertained and experience a bit of a wow, should ask for his copy of The Celts. If it contains the story, Angel at the Window of the Orient, you will be even more amazed. It includes one of the great no word balloon action pages. I think I posted a small pic of the page recently on the site. Even if it's not, the rest of the book is simply exceptional. That particular story is omitted in the coloured Italian version from quite a few years ago and I don't have the English collection.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

PM has already been sent. :lol: I am always ready to give comics a good home.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

"Angel at the Window of the Orient," is the first story Paw - its a great wee book (I have 2 copies) Colcool PM returned

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have been the beneficiary of McScotty's genorosity and wow! It was worth it.

I have just devoured The Celts and enjoyed it immensely. Just to give you an idea of the spread of material, here are some of the gems.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind issues 1, 2 and 7
The Secret Service Issue 5
Thrud The Barbarian (several issues)
Angel and The Ape
Megazine 350
Warrior
Mad
Give Me Liberty issue 2
Jupiter's Legacy

and the list goes on and on

And to make Scotty's day, his team managed to pull back a draw!

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Hi Colin

Was nice to meet you and your wife and put a face to a name - glad you enjoyed the selection - feels great o make some space so I can get my collection sorted of the things I really like - I'll look out the superhero titles I never added to that selection as thought these were of no interest to you (I may even have an odd Alan Class titles for Carol) once I get the builders in for that quote.

In the cold light of day I'm less happy at my teams (Hamilton Accies) 90th minute equaliser and more annoyed they let a 2- 0 lead go (oh and apologies again for my errrrr little slip of language when Partick went 3-2 up :oops: )

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Don't worry about the language. Mine is MUCH worse!

Now looking to read through the Warriors and the early Captain Britain issue. I have never read Warrior and I've only read the Captain Britain GN and some of the Excalibur/Knights of Pendragon before. Here is the GN that I've got somewhere...
captain+britain+graphic+novel.jpg

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Ignoring the bloodiness of it, has anyone read Kick Ass by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.?

I thought the illustrations are absolutely stunning. Another one which is rich in detail is the Spanish (English translations available) 'Black Sad' by Juanjo Guarnido.

Black Sad is the best graphic novel I have discovered the past few years.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:
15 Oct 2014, 09:19

If I can suggest The Scorpion by Desberg and Marini? I think anyone would find them cracking entertainment.
So, almost 10 years after this post, I accidentally came across Volumes 1 & 2 of The Scorpion and must agree, they are cracking entertainment! So much so, I immediately went online and bought volumes 3-8. Highly recommended.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

I know it's DC but "The Dark Knight Returns" remains my favourite graphic novel and was original with nothing published in the Batman comics.