Christmas

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Christmas

Post by abacus »

Well that time is near for the giving and receiving of unwanted presents :) I try to be original in present giving but with only occasional success, I think I would probably be better off just giving gift vouchers but I think that lacks a bit of the christmas spirit.A can't be bothered attitude.Anyway the reason for this post is because when I was setting up the christmas tree (yes I know it has nothing to do with biblical religion)the thought occurred to me that under the tree where I have a large santa ornament I could put a display of some very old annuals.Well this year I have used an old rupert book in the display the one with the cloth spine and a lot of cut-out rupert characters inside.I may use more old annuals under the tree in future years after all it is a time of nostalgia .Who was that who said a rubbish idea? : :)

booksandcomics

Re: Christmas

Post by booksandcomics »

This sounds like a wonderful idea! Any chance of you posting pictures??

abacus

Post by abacus »

booksandcomics wrote:This sounds like a wonderful idea! Any chance of you posting pictures??
I will try, I have not had much success trying to upload pictures in the past in fact none.You can always try it out yourself at least you will be able to display very old annuals that have been hidden in boxes for years.Well here goes I will be amazed if this works, .Are you ready Houston? 3.2.1....

http://pho.to/8OzVr

Well I think it worked in a fashion if you can enlarge the photo.Next maybe Mars that's after a long rest :)
I think using annuals for decorative purposes works ok and probably the older the annuals used the better.
Last edited by abacus on 21 Dec 2014, 07:03, edited 4 times in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Your link works fine Abacus.......nice scene!

abacus

Post by abacus »

http://pho.to/8O3es

These are the sorts of annuals in my collection that would be ok to use to give a nostalgic look.The photos are on the small side because I have not worked out the best way to send them yet.Always learning I guess :)l've noticed there's a magnifying glass at the side of the picture after a few seconds wait.
Last edited by abacus on 19 Dec 2014, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

This is kind of related, I really like this "Santa's Puzzle Picture" from the 1936 Teddy Tail's Annual which claims "There are over 20 objects in this picture beginning witht he letter 'S'". Trouble is there are no answers listed in the book.

I used this as the Picture Round for the Pub Quiz I do in Stafford and it went down really well!

How many can you find?

"Santa's Puzzle Picture"

Teddy Tail's Annual cover 1936

abacus

Post by abacus »

An enjoyable puzzle made even better by the fine artwork of the period.I found 18 plus 2 i'm a bit doubtful about.It would be fun to have more puzzles of this period especially since I gave up on Candy Crush a few weeks ago on level 425.Subject PUZZLE CORNER why not? :D

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I've had a quickish look and I'm stuck on 13. Mind, I'm not sure what some of the bits and pieces are. Good fun, if a bit frustrating. :?
Puzzle corner is a good idea even though I'm useless at them.
A lovely illustration indeed. Quite, quite charming.
No, 14 now.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Does anybody know of any Sainsburys stores that still have The Best Of Bunty Annual for sale. Originally I wasn't going to get it but now I've changed my mind.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

There was still some in Edinburgh store last week, so they are probably still in other stores too.