What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently?

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:Got the following for my Christmas Comic Collection.
Good man! :)
:up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

The latest addition to my Xmas Comic Collection - Doctor Who Magazine from my local Sainsbury's. :up:
Attachments
Xmas2017-DoctorWhoMagazine.jpg
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Has anybody noticed that there's an original Dark Judges comic story in the latest issue of New Scientist? :)

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Bought the Dandy Annual for my eldest. She's read a bunch of them at school so she should like it. No creator credits though! Shocking in this day and age (tho of course it is DC Thomson's, so that's as expected from them).
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

comixminx wrote:Bought the Dandy Annual for my eldest. She's read a bunch of them at school so she should like it. No creator credits though! Shocking in this day and age (tho of course it is DC Thomson's, so that's as expected from them).
Not D.C. Thomson's fault these days, as we all have the option of signing our work. I always sign my pages, and a few other artists sign theirs, but some decline for whatever reasons.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

But Lew, why don't DCT publish a contents page with creator names? That's what I mean really. Or print the names on the strips themselves in a credit box. Not everyone will even notice signatures (unless on the umpteenth read through).
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

comixminx wrote:But Lew, why don't DCT publish a contents page with creator names? That's what I mean really. Or print the names on the strips themselves in a credit box. Not everyone will even notice signatures (unless on the umpteenth read through).
Minx, the reason that DCT don't do it is the reasons that most companies don't do things and that is cost. While we comic fans will bemoan the lack of a credits list, the company has never added one before to the humour annuals so they will not see a real need for it when they have never had to do so before. It took sustained campaigning on the behalf of George Low to get them to do it for Commando and that is only one credit list per issue and even then it only happened after in his last few months on the job.

Actually I need you and Tammyfan to have a look at my latest article either on my blog or on the cross-posting on Down The Tubes to see if you can identify the original Fangs of Fear artist that was in the dummy of Cheeky issue 1. The original artist looks like someone who worked on Tammy or Jinty but I just cannot put a name to the style.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

comixminx wrote:But Lew, why don't DCT publish a contents page with creator names? That's what I mean really. Or print the names on the strips themselves in a credit box. Not everyone will even notice signatures (unless on the umpteenth read through).
The weekly Beano had a credits page in 2014, dropped it for a while, then began running writer/artist credits on every strip from March 2016. Credits still appear every week.

I don't know why the annual hasn't caught up yet but I agree it should.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

For my partner's 4 grandchildren, I got them I got them this year's:
  • Beano Annual
    Rupert Bear Annual

SID

Post by SID »

I got the following Christmas issues from my local WHSmith:
  • 2000AD
    Beano
    Epic
    Judge Dredd Megazine
    Marvel Legends
    Striker
    Viz*
*Love Bad Bob the Randy Wonder Dog.

SID

Post by SID »

Over Christmas, I got the latest

The Dandy Annual 2019
Rupert Bear Annual 2019
Classic Beano & The Dandy - Food Fight

SID

Post by SID »

Got my first comic of the year - Beano No. 4014.

A good festive read and I bought a second copy so that my partner's grandkids could read it (and have a set of gifts each).

SID

Post by SID »

My 2nd comic of the season: Deadpool Unleashed Vol. 2 No. 8 with an offbeat Xmas tale - Christmas Missed Us!

Also got my other half's grandkids this year's:

The Dandy Annual 2020
Beano Annual 2020

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

No actual Christmas issues, but issues for Christmas, Over the phone I bought nine issues of JUDY and seven issues of MANDY from 30th Century Comics. The total cost including p&p was £47 25p. Will said they will be winging their way down to Cornwall on Thursday, so I will get them before Christmas. :D :cheers:

blaing

Post by blaing »

I got in the mail yesterday, this year's Christmas issue of the Beano.

I will be picking up in the mail tomorrow, a personalized copy of the 1958 Beano Book (sent via a parcel forwarding service, as otherwise, I wouldn't be able to buy.)