original Beano no1comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

judomole

original Beano no1comic

Post by judomole »

Is this listing for a Beano no 1 correct :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321779299620? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I thought it had 28 pages and no staple holes
Last edited by judomole on 12 Jun 2015, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

NP

Re: original Beano no1comic

Post by NP »

It's a cheap pull-out reprint, worth about £2.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

It wouldn't have been possible to remove The Beano from a copy of D. C. Thomson Firsts, Danny Posner's volume of facsimile reprints, without inflicting serious damage to the spine edge because as it was the first comic bound in there is no left-hand border visible, and also the three left-hand panels of Big Eggo have lost about a quarter of an inch. The copy for sale is one of the loose issues that were also available in 1978 in the Vintage Magazine Shop to those enthusiasts who only wanted the odd one or two rather than all eight. Unlike the ones in the bound volume, the loose issues were stapled. Today, in Fine condition, they would be worth about a fiver. In my opinion, the one on eBay isn't even worth their basic 99p.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

the guy has no kind of feed back either as buyer or seller someone should report it as fake

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

25 pages? That must be a typo. An odd number of pages is impossible on printed publications, only digital stuff can have an odd number.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:the guy has no kind of feed back either as buyer or seller someone should report it as fake
Looks like someone did. It's now been removed.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

This was most definitely a copy of the first Beano given away with the Sunday Post a few years ago. It only had 24 pages instead of the originals 28 in order to remove the two page 'Cracker Jack' adventure strip in which the western heros horse had an unfortunate name to modern sensibilities. And, in order to excise two pages they had to also remove another two so that the page count would still be divisible by 4 and make the issue easy to staple together with 6, 4pg sheets.

judomole

Post by judomole »

Kashgar wrote:This was most definitely a copy of the first Beano given away with the Sunday Post a few years ago. It only had 24 pages instead of the originals 28 in order to remove the two page 'Cracker Jack' adventure strip in which the western heros horse had an unfortunate name to modern sensibilities. And, in order to excise two pages they had to also remove another two so that the page count would still be divisible by 4 and make the issue easy to staple together with 6, 4pg sheets.
In my History of the Beano book where they reproduce the original no1comic
The horse's name is nugget (page 24 box 5) and (page 25 box 9) have they used clever editing on the horse's name :?:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, it's edited - the version on beano.com (though it won't be there much longer as the website is about to relaunch) calls the horse Nigger (wow, I didn't get censored there).
http://www.beano.com/retro-beano/1930's

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Benny Hills' horse in his 1971 number one hit 'Ernie' was called Trigger.

---and he PULLED the fastest milk-cart in the West!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

At least one person reported it, and that was me. Kind of obvious, really, as you all said.

I remember around the 70th birthday I asked about the facsimile in the souvenir magazine, and I was told that it had a lot to do with the inconvenience and cost of adding another sheet in the special format - the Beano 70th magazine and Dandy final issue both changing paper for the first edition facsimile. It of course helps in making sure that it can be distinguished from the real thing, so I imagine it's a bit of both.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up a first issue of the Magnet Library for a fiver at an ephemera fair last year. I was sure it was a facsimile but it looked just like the original with tan paper so I figured a fiver was an ok price to pay. That could easily be sold on ebay as an original.