Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 979
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by starscape »

Did youask for a discount due to a name in pencil on the front :lol:

I picked up a virtually complete collection along with a load of Terrifics from Arthur's in Glasgow (some of our older readers may remember that Western-obsessed man). Probably about £20 or something for the lot. After all, it was only recent (i.e. older than 1960) stuff featuring superheroes, rather than Oor Wullie or cowboys.

Kashgar
Guru
Posts: 2761
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 14:15

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Kashgar »

Not sure whether these are a bargain or not so I would like to garner the opinions of others. I have all the issues individually of both titles so I'm not in need of them in any case.

Warlord complete in 25 bound volumes in excellent condition £1,999
Battle complete in 27 bound volumes in excellent condition £2,499

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 979
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by starscape »

In all honesty, if you knocked off the final figure, it would still be a struggle to sell. Which is very disappointing but it's supply-and-demand.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:I picked one up for 5p in a charity shop last year!
Yes, they're not that rare. They turn up on eBay fairly often.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3872
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Not sure whether these are a bargain or not so I would like to garner the opinions of others. I have all the issues individually of both titles so I'm not in need of them in any case.

Warlord complete in 25 bound volumes in excellent condition £1,999
Battle complete in 27 bound volumes in excellent condition £2,499
I've seen these plus the seller's other comics and I think it is very steep. If you assume that the seller bought each edition of the comic for £1, that £627 for Warlord and £673 for Battle. Assuming each volume binding came in at £30 each, that's another £750 for Warlord and £810 for Battle which gives a grand total of £1,377 for Warlord and £1,483 for Battle which would be closer to what I would pay for a full run bound of each comic.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 979
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by starscape »

colcool007 wrote:a grand total of £1,377 for Warlord and £1,483 for Battle which would be closer to what I would pay for a full run bound of each comic.
But would you pay it?

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5350
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Assuming each volume binding came in at £30 each, that's another £750 for Warlord and £810 for Battle which gives a grand total of £1,377 for Warlord and £1,483 for Battle which would be closer to what I would pay for a full run bound of each comic.
The other day, Col, when Steve Zodiac was offering his full run of HOOT in new condition at £150, you seemed to be implying that you needed the money to buy them with. Have you had a windfall today? :) :lol:

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3872
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by colcool007 »

The salient point missing from this conversation is that if I had the money to spend... :lol: :lol:

The prices I pay is because I have not enough money, but it never stops me from dreaming of having enough money to pay what I think is a fair price.

For both Battle and Warlord, I have so much admiration for the contributors, I would drop about £1500 each for a full run bound in mint condition. If I had it. Oh well, there's always the chance it could be me.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5350
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:For both Battle and Warlord, I have so much admiration for the contributors, I would drop about £1500 each for a full run bound in mint condition. If I had it. Oh well, there's always the chance it could be me.
A couple of lines on a Euromillions ticket would improve your chances, Col. Not by much, but a smidgen just might be enough, and somebody has to win. :xfingers:

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3872
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:For both Battle and Warlord, I have so much admiration for the contributors, I would drop about £1500 each for a full run bound in mint condition. If I had it. Oh well, there's always the chance it could be me.
A couple of lines on a Euromillions ticket would improve your chances, Col. Not by much, but a smidgen just might be enough, and somebody has to win. :xfingers:
I wish I had thought of that... :up: :up:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by koollectablz »

Neither of these runs are rare in the slightest, if you actually want a full set and are willing to put some time into it, I think you could complete both for much less than £500 within a year probably less. When I bought the full run of Action last year the same guy had the full run of Battle which (iirc) he was asking £100 for if I was willing to collect.

Indeed there’s a large number of Battles on eBay right now that would give you a great start.

If you actually did want them bound then it’s a different question.

As for Power comics the Fantastic and Terrific runs also do turn up multiple times over the year and are quite easy to pick up - lowest I’ve seen over the last year was £150 for both complete sets - they lasted a few days too before selling.

Wham and Smash are a completely different story.

Kashgar
Guru
Posts: 2761
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 14:15

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Kashgar »

koollectablz wrote:

If you actually did want them bound then it’s a different question.
That was really what I was wondering about. I knew the issues themselves wouldn't have such a great monetary value, it was more how much it would have cost to have them bound into 27 volumes.

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3872
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:
koollectablz wrote: If you actually did want them bound then it’s a different question.
That was really what I was wondering about. I knew the issues themselves wouldn't have such a great monetary value, it was more how much it would have cost to have them bound into 27 volumes.
I was chatting with Adam about how much it is and I am sure that he said that it was either £25 or £30 to get six months worth of comics bound which is why I calculated that the cost of binding for the Warlord run would be £750.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by koollectablz »

in that case I'm with Col. You should be able to purchase and then get bound a full run of Battle for £1.5k over time.

That said you'd have to source the issues and invariably check every one for cutouts and missing pages etc.

Question is, are you willing to drop an extra grand or so not to have to wait...

Either way its an impressive set of volumes to put on a shelf.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1350
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Either way its an impressive set of volumes to put on a shelf.
It's an "If money was no issue" buy to me I think. Would look great though!

Post Reply