Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:Here's another one. Whoopee! No. 1 for £100?????? :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHOOPEE-No1-V ... SwfRdZIEqH
He's relisted it for £40.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Eyed-Jack ... SwXY5ZPA3C

only slightly taking the P**s :lol:
I think you may find that that is one of our esteemed colleagues here on Comics UK!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I think you may find that that is one of our esteemed colleagues here on Comics UK!
Well it certainly isn't me. I would never have bought it in the first place. :lol:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:

I think you may find that that is one of our esteemed colleagues here on Comics UK!
they could have at least waited a few months :lol:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Adam Eterno wrote:

Hello there! :wave:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Who is it signed by. the local newsagent?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:

Hello there! :wave:
why hello sir :lol:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Actually looking at the sig it may as well be the newsagent, I'm assuming it's John Wagner, but it's pretty difficult to make out tbh.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I see Phil is selling off another very rare item from his collection, a Dandy with probably a one of a kind free gift sweet wrapper.

Whilst its an incredibly rare item and hopefully will do very well (albeit I notice that he's not willing to start at 99p with his own stuff unlike the items he sells on consignment...), I'm not so sure that telling everyone it's from his own collection is a very good idea.

Since he sold off another very rare Beano with gift last month it would appear pretty obvious he's downsizing his collection or indeed slowly selling off completely.

Now, bearing in mind that comic collecting is still a very niche hobby in the broadest sense and if other collectors get wind of other high profile collectors selling off their collections it tends to lead to they themselves looking at their own collecting habits and deciding that now might be a good time to get out as well. Leading to an overall depression of the market and even more people then trying to sell to get out while they're ahead.

This has definitely happened within the Dr Who collecting sphere when just a couple of very well known collectors started selling.

Sometimes just sticking to the bare facts about the item is best off?

What do other people think?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:Since he sold off another very rare Beano with gift last month it would appear pretty obvious he's downsizing his collection or indeed slowly selling off completely.
His current activity may have something to do with his recent decision to relocate from Brighton to somewhere near Cambridge. A more challenging mortgage perhaps.
koollectablz wrote:if other collectors get wind of other high profile collectors selling off their collections it tends to lead to they themselves looking at their own collecting habits and deciding that now might be a good time to get out as well.
Surely that's just guesswork, koollectablz. Collectors, as I have been for many years, are not sellers by nature so why would any one of them, simply by discovering that a collector somewhere, even a major one, is, or appears to be, selling off his entire collection, be necessarily influenced to the point where he decides that he must do the same. My reaction would actually be the opposite, that being to seize the opportunity to acquire some previously-unobtainable gems new on the market for my own collection, preferably, but not necessarily, at bargain prices.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Until I was about 12 or 13 I had lots of schoolfriends who collected comics - then all of them seemed to 'outgrow' them overnight. Finding this incredibly dispiriting (especially as there was no internet in those days) I reluctantly decided to give them up too, but after a couple of months it occurred to me that I was just missing them too much: in effect I was making myself miserable by joining the rush to become a boring grownup. Since then I've continued to read whatever I want, and I've never looked back!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Same here, but I had to give up reading comics a year or two later as my mother decided school came first and it was about time I grew up. :roll: Never lost my interest and I soon took up buying and reading when I got married. A great hobby, and there's so much to discover, still.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:Same here, but I had to give up reading comics a year or two later as my mother decided school came first and it was about time I grew up. :roll: Never lost my interest and I soon took up buying and reading when I got married. A great hobby, and there's so much to discover, still.
Can't disagree with that last statement says he with his nose in a book reading about Classics Illustrated! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:. Collectors, as I have been for many years, are not sellers by nature so why would any one of them, simply by discovering that a collector somewhere, even a major one, is, or appears to be, selling off his entire collection, be necessarily influenced to the point where he decides that he must do the same. My reaction would actually be the opposite, that being to seize the opportunity to acquire some previously-unobtainable gems new on the market for my own collection, preferably, but not necessarily, at bargain prices.
unfortunately there are some who are not collectors and bid and snipe on stuff just to sell for double or more than.some are in this group i assume too.i had a period last year or year before i wanted to sell my entire collection and am so glad i didn't as i seem to be buying more than ever now.