US Government comics including the Broons!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

standby4action

US Government comics including the Broons!

Post by standby4action »

I thought some colleagues here might enjoy these comics provided by the University of Nebraska Lincoln although they are not within the remit of this group, we do have one that I've spotted:
The Broons and OOr Willie [sic] Fire Safety Special from the Scottish Fire Services!

I've let Richard Graham know about the mis-spelling

The collection is in two parts:
Government Comic Collection
Educational Comic Collection and Oor Wullie is in the latter.
In that modern way, I should warn the squeamish there are educational comics on - to quote Richard Graham of UNL:
"Spider-Man/Planned Parenthood comic and the famous Johnny Got the Word (about the clap), as well as Hooked!, Teenage Booby Trap, and a host of other anti-drug comics"
Your Christmas treasure hunt starts now..... :lol:

standby4action

Re: US Government comics including the Broons!

Post by standby4action »

...and I notice that Richard has also authored a book on the subject, if anyone's interested. It called "Government Issue: Comics for the people 1940s - 2000s" and it can be had quite cheaply on Amazon.co.uk. You can see pages by browsing the customer review below the details - written by The comic State

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for posting that Norman. I have only scratched the surface (as time is a factor) but what a wealth of information, especially for anyone who is researching American comics, and I guess the effect they had on comics around the world.

The Senate report in 1955 was worth it alone.

As per the Amazon comments with millions of Americans a day reading comics in the 40s/50s it is no surprise they used comics in this way.

We all know how much effect the war had on comics and the heroes that emerged to wage war against the opposition at the time, but did the Governments besides their war bond adverts etc have much say in mainstream comics? Or, was it patriotic content from the comic staff to help generate support at home, and for all the men and women stationed overseas?
I know this may be going over old ground for some but if someone would like to comment I would be interested to see what they have to say.

The example below is obviously American with the 'Flash' doing his bit, so to make it more comic uk does anyone have any propaganda examples from this side of the ditch!
Attachments
Scan_20151218.003.jpg

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

matrix wrote:Thanks for posting that Norman.
My pleasure Matrix - glad you liked it!