Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Post by Kashgar »

I certainly didn't consider it a bargain at the time either, Phil. I could have bought at least a dozen Beanos or Dandys from the 1940's for the same money. But a happy impulse purchase as it turned out.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

This is going to be a decent price for this seller of these Commando comics. They are already at £202 and there's still 19 hours to go!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:This is going to be a decent price for this seller of these Commando comics. They are already at £202 and there's still 19 hours to go!
I was watching those as well. Great price achieved even if it stays at £202.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i think theres going to be last second sniping so price will be a lot higher

blaing

Post by blaing »

There was. It went for £246.50. Not as high as I thought, but a good win, nonetheless. (wasn't me, though) :(

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Having just picked up a copy of Commando #20 for £1 at a comic mart some of those Ebay prices seem astonishingly high to me. :shock:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Me too, when I was last selling Commando's I'd only ever pick ones up that were pre-decimal and that I could then resell at £1. So would have to be extremely cheap to even consider buying!

I'd like to say I had loads of #1s - but I'm positive I've never had the first issue, I'd remember it. But many, many copies of pre-100s for sure.

I think i missed a trick on these.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It does seem that early numbers of the Fleetway War libraries can still be bought at around the £1 mark - many of them from before Commando was even launched. The problem with Ebay is that it only takes a handful of hardened collectors in competition with each other to give the impression that demand is more widespread than it actually is.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Prices for Commandos recently have been all over the place. For example issue 137 (Silver Bugle) in a good condition sold for £1.50 plus P&P, whereas a dog eared issue from about issue 80 hit over £60!

It really does depend on who is buying at the time because every seller on Ebay wants three collectors to be mad for what they are selling and to shove the price into the stratosphere.

I must admit that I try to stick to my budget and try to not wince at some of the prices when an issue goes really cheaply. Or wince when the price goes sky high and think there goes my chance of ever owning that one!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i think phil comics is one of the biggest culprits for the hardened collector to push prices through the roof .yes he is one of the best on ebay but for some reason his stuff seems to command double or more of same stuff ive seen with other sellers,though it makes mercenaries too as hannah11zoe springs to mind. he does have a lot of rarely seen stuff and i myself am guilty of going way over my budget with him :lol:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Yea, fair play to Phil, he does seem to have reached a critical mass whereby collectors are under the impression that what he sells is somehow better than exactly the same items on the market.

That said you can still buy from his auctions and then relist and make a profit. Just a question of picking your target, for instance one of his listings right now is for what seems a very non descript item, but he doesn't know that it has a strip in it that's never been reprinted and is very sought after by certain collectors.

In this case its a question of what you know rather than who... Or is it? ;)

I knew him from when he was a kid, he was utterly mad for Dandy/Beano - still is I guess.

I liked the idea of his Dandy/Beano collectors club, but I guess it ran out of steam.

But yea, one of the hobbies good guys.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

This lot of early 2000AD comics with gifts could go either way but a great buy for someone so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231990780737? ... EBIDX%3AIT

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

koollectablz wrote:Yea, fair play to Phil, he does seem to have reached a critical mass whereby collectors are under the impression that what he sells is somehow better than exactly the same items on the market.

That said you can still buy from his auctions and then relist and make a profit. Just a question of picking your target, for instance one of his listings right now is for what seems a very non descript item, but he doesn't know that it has a strip in it that's never been reprinted and is very sought after by certain collectors.

In this case its a question of what you know rather than who... Or is it? ;)

I knew him from when he was a kid, he was utterly mad for Dandy/Beano - still is I guess.

I liked the idea of his Dandy/Beano collectors club, but I guess it ran out of steam.

But yea, one of the hobbies good guys.
what comic is that ?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:This lot of early 2000AD comics with gifts could go either way but a great buy for someone so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231990780737? ... EBIDX%3AIT
the seller has 0 feedback surely you would have some as a buyer even

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote: the seller has 0 feedback surely you would have some as a buyer even
I thought the same