Thoughts on collecting comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Thoughts on collecting comics

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

LEW STRINGER wrote :

Phoenix wrote:
starscape wrote: One of our members, Tammyfan, will support this assertion as she has kept me pretty busy over the last couple of years looking for information for her, and I don't think it is particularly well known but like Kashgar and me she is a published writer.

The earliest I ever remember seeing your name anywhere, Lew, is in the days when you used to send letters to the newspapers on the subjects of comics : maybe the early 80s? It was well before the 'net, anyway.......

'Lew Stringer".......now there's a name to conjure with!

---or was that Paul Daniels? [groan]

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:LEW STRINGER wrote :

Phoenix wrote:
starscape wrote: One of our members, Tammyfan, will support this assertion as she has kept me pretty busy over the last couple of years looking for information for her, and I don't think it is particularly well known but like Kashgar and me she is a published writer.

The earliest I ever remember seeing your name anywhere, Lew, is in the days when you used to send letters to the newspapers on the subjects of comics : maybe the early 80s? It was well before the 'net, anyway.......

'Lew Stringer".......now there's a name to conjure with!

---or was that Paul Daniels? [groan]
I've never sent any letters to newspapers as far as I recall. Plenty of fanzines, yes, but I don't remember writing to newspapers. Which ones?

Also, I didn't write that quote you've attributed to me. Starscape did.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I honestly can't remember what newspaper it was, Lew, but it was one of the mainstream ones --

--my memory on this in vague, but I remember this sentence:

'I'm not saying that everything D C Thomson puts out is brilliant or that the Beano of 1972 is as good as the 1962 version'

---or words to this effect: ring any bells?------ I have absolutely no reason to make this up, your name is a true one-off I doubt I would confuse with anyone else, but I saw this a long long time ago.

Sorry I don't quite know how to work the 'quote' function, or edit it the way I want to, hence my botched job.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I honestly can't remember what newspaper it was, Lew, but it was one of the mainstream ones --

--my memory on this in vague, but I remember this sentence:

'I'm not saying that everything D C Thomson puts out is brilliant or that the Beano of 1972 is as good as the 1962 version'

---or words to this effect: ring any bells?------ I have absolutely no reason to make this up, your name is a true one-off I doubt I would confuse with anyone else, but I saw this a long long time ago.

Sorry I don't quite know how to work the 'quote' function, or edit it the way I want to, hence my botched job.

I keep everything I'm published in and I'd have been ecstatic to have my name in a newspaper back then, Rab. I was never inclined to writing to newspapers though. I don't even have any Beanos from 1962. I think you've either mixed me up with someone else I'm afraid, or you're thinking of one of the many letters I wrote to fanzines, or someone used my name (unlikely, I'd have thought). Perhaps someone quoted me in their letter?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It's possible, Lew: maybe I mixed you up with someone else.

But for whatever reason, I noticed this letter written by someone because it was so unusual to see this subject covered in the National Press at that time.

I think the 1962-72 BEANO comparison used by the writer was used more as an arbitary timescale chosen at random,----presumably to illustrate what the writer felt was declining standards over time------ rather than a quite literal physical comparison with two actual 1962/72 BEANO issues.

starscape

Post by starscape »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I have vintage comics material as diverse as ROVER [original], DIANA and SOLO: now I am sure I could have gone through life without ever seeing any of these comics again: however it is fairly interesting looking through these, and I certainly do not regret purchasing them.......I do not read all these stories either but there is usually imagery and period charm/references to then-contemporary life and culture well worth seeing in all of these publications, as well as other publications that do not come at the top of my 'must see' list.

There is a lot of very good American material out there as well [from all eras].

Comics fans with a very narrow focus [I don't especially mean anyone on here] are missing out on a lot of well-worthy comics stuff.
Is that what you've taken from my comment? I don't see how you get that, if so, or also how others got the 'read straight away or don't buy'. My comment was simply that I didn't get having a large selection of a collection that will knowingly NEVER be read. I get that we buy comics to read later. I get that we buy curiosities for a bit of interest, even if cover to cover reading doesn't appeal. But I've sold off parts of my collection before as I knew I wouldn't get around to reading them (having them was part of the comic shop necessity). The value to me is in the reading (even if only for curiosity).

By the way, it's not a criticism either. Kashgar's free to do what he wants with his money. I'm sure there are a ton of comics I'd want to read in his collection. I can also appreciate someone is doing this for posterity (although it depends what happens with the collection - poor old Denis Gifford being a case in point).

PS I didn't make the quoted comment either. That was Phoenix.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

hiya starscape:

please re-read the last sentence I wrote from your last quotation:

'I don't especially mean anyone on here'---this includes you as well.

Also here's another line I wrote a few hours back, explaining my muck-up regarding who sourced various quotes:

QUOTE [from words I wrote] :

UNQUOTE

-Hope this clarifies everything for everyone.

I really don't see how I can make this any clearer.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Sure, thanks.
STARSCAPE Comic

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

starscape wrote:I can also appreciate someone is doing this for posterity (although it depends what happens with the collection - poor old Denis Gifford being a case in point)
I'm assuming, starscape, that you would have wanted the whole of Denis's collection to be displayed somewhere, perhaps in a kind of living museum, in order to give other comics enthusiasts the opportunity to browse through them. The trouble is that we don't live in the ideal world that would be required. The collection was worth, and fetched, a huge amount of money, presumably for his heirs. Furthermore, looking through the ten catalogues produced by Hamer Auctions, in which every one of the 4241 lots had belonged to Denis (the ones with coloured front and rear covers), I've come to the conclusion that just trying to organise them into meaningful categories would have been a mindbender. Then of course there is the vexed question of where the displays would be sited. There were also five further auction catalogues (black and white covers) that were basically advertising Martin Hamer's items for sale, with a section at the beginning or the end for the fag end of Denis's, adding about 1040 other items to the 4241, so roughly 5280 items altogether.

Obviously I can't speak for Ray but I very much doubt whether my lads, who both work several hours travel from my home, one in London, the other in Cornwall, will feel a philanthropic urge when I kick the bucket. They will be pragmatic and get on the phone to Phil Shrimpton and tell him that if he wants to make a few bob in commission he should get his arse up the M6 tout de suite, and, as one of my French teachers regularly used to say, usually when handing me a sheet of foolscap to write my lines on, the touter the sweeter.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:
starscape wrote:I don't mean to be rude but isn't that a little pointless then? I know many will completely disagree with me but I just can't see why i'd want comics I wouldn't read.
Collecting comics, starscape, isn't all about reading them. Like me Kashgar is a completist, albeit on a larger scale than my completist approach to collecting, due to my lack of any really serious interest and involvement in story papers produced by any company other than D. C. Thomsons. However, where we are very much in agreement is in the need to know everything, as far as possible, within our areas of interest. Kashgar has stated somewhere recently that his collection of Thomsons' story papers starts round about 1940. Mine starts in 1921 with the first issue of Adventure. Over many years we have collaborated on projects relating to Thomsons' output, which naturally also includes their picture story papers from The New Hotspur onwards, and their girls' papers, starting and ending with Bunty, as she was the last one standing. Essentially our approach is factual and analytical, and this is the overall reason why we can almost always answer any questions within our combined areas of expertise from ComicsUK members. If we don't immediately know the answer we can find it pretty quickly by referring to our collections. One of our members, Tammyfan, will support this assertion as she has kept me pretty busy over the last couple of years looking for information for her, and I don't think it is particularly well known but like Kashgar and me she is a published writer.
I think that while many of us wouldn't follow this approach in our own collecting we can be very appreciative of those who have this approach! I really applaud the need to know everything, being as I follow this in a small way on my own area of focus. It's not going to work for everyone but it is really important to have it in the mix, as otherwise all sorts of material and knowledge will simply get lost.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This may be the best place to alert interested members to the fact that in Phil Shrimpton's next auctions, beginning a week today, are two of Ray Moore's difficult-to-find books, The Book Of The Beezer and Topper Tales. The former currently stands at £10.50 after seven bids by four different bidders, the latter at £44 after eleven bids by five different bidders. Time to empty your money boxes, folks!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
starscape wrote:I can also appreciate someone is doing this for posterity (although it depends what happens with the collection - poor old Denis Gifford being a case in point)
I'm assuming, starscape, that you would have wanted the whole of Denis's collection to be displayed somewhere, perhaps in a kind of living museum, in order to give other comics enthusiasts the opportunity to browse through them. The trouble is that we don't live in the ideal world that would be required. The collection was worth, and fetched, a huge amount of money, presumably for his heirs. Furthermore, looking through the ten catalogues produced by Hamer Auctions, in which every one of the 4241 lots had belonged to Denis (the ones with coloured front and rear covers), I've come to the conclusion that just trying to organise them into meaningful categories would have been a mindbender. Then of course there is the vexed question of where the displays would be sited. There were also five further auction catalogues (black and white covers) that were basically advertising Martin Hamer's items for sale, with a section at the beginning or the end for the fag end of Denis's, adding about 1040 other items to the 4241, so roughly 5280 items altogether.

Obviously I can't speak for Ray but I very much doubt whether my lads, who both work several hours travel from my home, one in London, the other in Cornwall, will feel a philanthropic urge when I kick the bucket. They will be pragmatic and get on the phone to Phil Shrimpton and tell him that if he wants to make a few bob in commission he should get his arse up the M6 tout de suite, and, as one of my French teachers regularly used to say, usually when handing me a sheet of foolscap to write my lines on, the touter the sweeter.
It was still a crying shame for that collection to be broken up. I dread the thought of that happening to mine when I'm gone.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Denis wanted his donated but it was sold off against his wishes. We really could do with a genuine comic museum.
STARSCAPE Comic

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

starscape wrote:Denis wanted his donated but it was sold off against his wishes.
Who by, starscape, and how did they get away with it?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

For me, I collect to complete collections, to have reading material and to know as much as I can about my area of interest. While I have comics that I have yet to read, they are definitely on the "to read" list at some point.

One thing that I have noticed is that my knowledge and recognition of Commando artists is not as good as I thought it to be.

I can spot Keith Shone, Keith Page, Denis McLoughlin, Jim Watson, Pat Wright, Jose Maria Jorge, Cam Kennedy and Ian Kennedy quite easily but many of the other artists are ones that I struggle to recognise. For example, there is an artist that is very similar to F A Philpott that I feel that I should know, but I just can't put my figure on who they are.

Any reference book I see on British comics is on my must buy list as they all help me to fill in one more gap in my knowledge.

As to the Gifford collection being sold off, I believe it was the wish of his ex-wife and his children that it was to be sold off as they were the beneficiaries of his will. The story I was told was that they were sick of the comics and that it had directly led to the breakup of his marriage. And they did not want to be reminded of that period in their life.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!