Most generous ever free gift in a comic?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Richard S.

Re: Most generous ever free gift in a comic?

Post by Richard S. »

it was Eagle that gave away that Action Force figure, 14/07/84
Attachments
actionforce 001.jpg
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

When I think about it, while I obviously had free gifts that appealed to me more than others, I don't think I think of any free gift from my childhood as being more generous than any other. Anything so ephemeral, that may have occupied my attention, in some cases, for no more than an afternoon fifty years ago but that has nonetheless stayed in my memory for all the years since was, and is, a generous gift by any standards.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I don't think I think of any free gift from my childhood as being more generous than any other. Anything so ephemeral, that may have occupied my attention, in some cases, for no more than an afternoon fifty years ago but that has nonetheless stayed in my memory for all the years since was, and is, a generous gift by any standards.
I can't agree, Kashgar. The word generous as used here in the title of this thread suggests that the gift has a value above an agreed standard, and I don't necessarily mean monetary. If you have remembered, with some degree of affection even, just a handful of the very many free gifts that you will have acquired in half a century of collecting the comics or story papers that briefly housed them, and which occupied your attention for such a brief period, pretty much all you can really say with any conviction is that they were memorable, just more so than those you can't immediately call to mind, or those you don't remember at all.

Hen Broon

Post by Hen Broon »

Battle comic 14.07.84 also gave away an Action Force figure , Micro Comic and Poster.
Hope you like the pictures
Attachments
battle  - 14.07.84 - poster.JPG
battle - 14.07.84.jpg
Battle comic  -  14.07.84.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Derek. Have I missed something here? When has there been any mention of an 'agreed standard' and if there has been who was agreeing the standard for us all? Is there a free gifts police unit I'm unaware of? I also said that I was referring to the free gifts from my own childhood not those free gifts I may have amassed in over forty years of collecting so the list is not particularly large. How we each judge the generousness of a gift is surely down to individual interpretation as you yourself have suggested by stipulating that considerations other than the monetary may be involved.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Kashgar wrote: When has there been any mention of an 'agreed standard' and if there has been who was agreeing the standard for us all?
The E.U.?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The problem is the use of the word generous in the title of the thread because it immediately assumes that all the free gifts will be subject to some kind of value judgement, such as Extremely Generous, Very Generous, Generous, Not Very Generous, Positively Mean. These are the kind of standards I was referring to, which I assume most people would consider reasonable. The reason why there is uncertainty therefore is that the thread title, by using the word generous, is implying that we must make a decision on what value to place on all our free gifts, a procedure that would be frankly ridiculous.

The reason I then picked up on your point that some of those gifts from your childhood have stayed in your memory ever since was to emphasise that not only are they still memorable but that you remember them with affection, and this surely also applies to other gifts that you have received since.
Kashgar wrote:Anything so ephemeral, that may have occupied my attention, in some cases, for no more than an afternoon fifty years ago but that has nonetheless stayed in my memory for all the years since was, and is, a generous gift by any standards.
Phoenix wrote:pretty much all you can really say with any conviction is that they were memorable, just more so than those you can't immediately call to mind, or those you don't remember at all.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hen Broon wrote:Battle comic 14.07.84 also gave away an Action Force figure , Micro Comic and Poster.
Hope you like the pictures
That's a very generous set of gifts!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I think one of the LEAST generous gifts I can think of was the Tarzan Survival kit bag from Tarzan Weekly #1 in 1977 which was basically a clear plastic bag, not unlike a freezer bag!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Adam Eterno wrote:I think one of the LEAST generous gifts I can think of was the Tarzan Survival kit bag from Tarzan Weekly #1 in 1977 which was basically a clear plastic bag, not unlike a freezer bag!
Hey, now, it was a clear plastic bag with a sheet of paper inside, suggesting things to put in it.

Saying it was like a freezer bag actually makes it sound better than it was, as freezer bags usually have a clip fastener at the top.

The Least Generous Gift... should probably be a thread in itself.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think one issue of Bunty gave away a plastic carrier bag (and that was before shops had to charge 5p for them!).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I think one issue of Bunty gave away a plastic carrier bag (and that was before shops had to charge 5p for them!).
I think this is the one you are referring to, Phil. It is far too big to be scanned on an A4 device so I have just scanned as much as I can get of the colour image that appears in the middle of just one side of the bag, and which measures 12.5'' tall x 9'' wide. Apart from the image the bag is white plastic. It measures 17'' x 11'' with a 3'' gusset on each side to enable the bag to open out. The handles are 5.5'' tall x 2.5'' wide. It's definitely a handsome item.
Attachments
BuntyBag.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think I've still got mine somewhere too (though it's a bit worse for wear). It doesn't sound all that special but I agree that it was a pretty nice item.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Mine has never been used. I bought it several years ago on eBay from a woman in Scotland who was having a clear-out. It wasn't all that cheap even so, but having said that, I've never seen another.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The Bunty bag is a nice item. Nice vibrant colours with the work of three artists on display Doris Kinnear, Selby Donnison and of course the great Bill Ritchie. Certainly sounds way better than the Tarzan kit bag!