D C Thomson free gifts - the 1960's

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Kashgar
Guru

Re: D C Thomson free gifts - the 1960's

Post by Kashgar »

I think when the two free gifts that I could only speculate about from Judy and Bimbo (thanks Hen and Derek) are added in, with the two extra Hornet gifts for 1966 that Hen mentioned already having being factored in as I simply forget to include them on here from my original list the total of 1960's free gift issues appears to be 306.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

alanultron5 wrote:Will we all be meeting up on Free Gifts - the 70s Ray?
There's the rub Alan. There were a total of 28 different juvenile titles available throughout the decade. Nine titles that appeared continuously, Dandy, Beano, Topper, Beezer, Bunty, Judy, Victor, Hotspur and Mandy five that fell in the 1970's from the 1960's, Rover, Bimbo, Diana, Hornet and Sparky, nine that came and went in the 1970's, Wizard, Little Star, Buzz, Cracker, Magic, Bullet, Spellbound, Plug and Emma and finally five titles that were first published in the 1970's that survived into the 1980's, Debbie, Warlord, Scoop, Crunch and Tracy. There's a lot of free gifts to catalogue in that lot!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I hadn't realised that! What if you segregated them? E.G first do `Fun Title gifts of the `70s` Then Girls titles gifts- then `Adventure` titles and finally the junior titles such as Bimbo & Twinkle? I also wondered why you didn't have a 1930s section Ray. I think Dandy gave nine gifts 1937-39 and Beano seven circa 1938-39. I don't know what Wizard or Rover gave in 1930s gifts though!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Alan,

I'll do a listing for 1970 and we'll see how it goes. I think it would be nice to keep to the year by year format as it would be uniform with the entries up to now.
As to why I didn't begin with the 1930's or 1920's it was simply because the vast majority of gifts in this period, from the advent of Adventure in 1921, are covered in exhaustive depth by Derek (Phoenix) in his brilliant volume on free gifts in the Big Five.
If you would like a listing of free gifts not covered in that period, those that were given away with Dandy, Beano and Magic, I'll happily provide one. There is even a case for having begun with the 1910's to cover those gifts given away in 'Girl's Weekly' but again I personally think, from its first publication in 1912 to its demise in 1922, this was more a story paper for the post juvenile market despite its title.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Ray! I have list of Beano & Dandy gifts from Phil Shrimpton! I can always cover the five `fun` titles from the 70s if you like!
A Face unclouded by thought.