Rebellion acquire Egmont's archive of strips and characters

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Rebellion acquire Egmont's archive of strips and charact

Post by philcom55 »

Lew Stringer wrote:Perhaps Whizzer and Chips was included because it was the first of that new stable of humour comics that went on to include Cor!!, Whoopee!, etc.? It would be strange to leave it behind with IPC when Egmont had the rest. Also, like you say, it would complicate things regarding mergers, so far easier for Egmont to have it than IPC.
If the reports that Sally was included in the deal are true I guess it's possible that it was similarly lumped together with IPC's new-style girls' comics such as Tammy and Misty for the sake of consistency.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This could be good news for Tammyfan, who has previously expressed her frustration over the sudden demise of Tammy without bringing every serial then running to their natural conclusion.

SID

Post by SID »

I am still taking it in that this has happened.

Although Time have the rights to the likes of Robot Archie, Janus Stark, the Spider and the like, there were still some interesting characters/strips that came out in the early 70s. Particularly from Thunder and Jet. One of my favourites was the Steel Commando. I hope that Rebellion will look at that material and not just from Action and Battle Picture Weekly.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

just a pity there is no real UK film industry to make big-budget, live-action versions of some of these very British properties: the technology is ready!

Some of these British concepts easily equal the Marvel characters in my view.

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

Phoenix wrote:This could be good news for Tammyfan, who has previously expressed her frustration over the sudden demise of Tammy without bringing every serial then running to their natural conclusion.
What happened to the Tammy web site?
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

does anyone know if this story was in any of the news papers as im sure it would have prob made the news even back when we were kids when weekly comics were the norm.

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

big bad bri wrote:does anyone know if this story was in any of the news papers as im sure it would have prob made the news even back when we were kids when weekly comics were the norm.
The BBC first carried the story as an exclusive on their web site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-37177877

The Oxford Mail has reported the news: http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourto ... k_to_life/
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
johnfreeman96 wrote:
Shiner wrote:Maybe a small niggly point but Whizzer & Chips was first printed in October 1969. It now belongs to Rebellion under this deal so I'm wondering whether the cut off is June 1969 which was mentioned a couple of times in Dez Skinn's Comics International magazine some years ago. This was supposedly the date that determined the IPC/Egmont split. No one would want to see that title get left behind in Egmont.
No, January 1970 is very definitely the demarcation date. I have that in writing from IPC on file and it's been stated many times in various articles that have been published since Comics International was last published.

As I've also said, though, there are some exceptions to this in terms of who owns what - the Whizzer & Chips brand being one. It's possibly because Whizzer & Chips was a title that was merged into Buster - where again, there are exceptions to the January 1970 rule because Buster was still being published when the IPC (now Time UK) and Egmont agreement was made.

Perhaps Whizzer and Chips was included because it was the first of that new stable of humour comics that went on to include Cor!!, Whoopee!, etc.? It would be strange to leave it behind with IPC when Egmont had the rest. Also, like you say, it would complicate things regarding mergers, so far easier for Egmont to have it than IPC.
As I recall, Albion also references both the Numskulls and the Nervs.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i just hope this purchase can usher in a new golden age of weekly comics new and reprint titles to sit alongside 2000ad.they could include a code for free digital copies like marvel comics do.maybe we could even get the japanese yellow pages style reprint books as im sure was discussed on here a few years ago. im kind of excited .even more than a few years ago when egmont did the 4 titles which ultimately led to nothing.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

big bad bri wrote:i just hope this purchase can usher in a new golden age of weekly comics new and reprint titles to sit alongside 2000ad.they could include a code for free digital copies like marvel comics do.maybe we could even get the japanese yellow pages style reprint books as im sure was discussed on here a few years ago. im kind of excited .even more than a few years ago when egmont did the 4 titles which ultimately led to nothing.
I'm sure Rebellion will do a much better job than Egmont - they actually care about comics and they know about them too, whereas Egmont's focus was on their big hitters like the Frozen licensed material. We'll see reprint books for sure, but I'd doubt that we'll see new weekly titles, whether they have reprint material or newly originated stories.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

id even be happy with a fortnightly collection similar to the current judge dredd collection.one week best of misty,cor.buster or tammy or action or whole gn dedicated to scream inn sweeny toddler faceache etc,i would keep money aside each week for those,or quaterly yellow pages massive collections there is a wealth of material which could keep rebellion going for years while they see who can be updated for new weekly or fortnightly adventures.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

big bad bri wrote:id even be happy with a fortnightly collection similar to the current judge dredd collection.one week best of misty,cor.buster or tammy or action or whole gn dedicated to scream inn sweeny toddler faceache etc,i would keep money aside each week for those,or quaterly yellow pages massive collections there is a wealth of material which could keep rebellion going for years while they see who can be updated for new weekly or fortnightly adventures.
dunno about fortnightly but I think you are going to be a happy man once Rebellion's plans are firmed up :-)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i think there is going to be lots of happy men and the few ladies on this forum :lol: but obviously rebellion have to think of this and future generations and not of us remaining old foegys wallowing in nostalgia.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:id even be happy with a fortnightly collection similar to the current judge dredd collection.one week best of misty,cor.buster or tammy or action or whole gn dedicated to scream inn sweeny toddler faceache etc,i would keep money aside each week for those,or quaterly yellow pages massive collections there is a wealth of material which could keep rebellion going for years while they see who can be updated for new weekly or fortnightly adventures.
Something like that wouldn't be a bad idea. Perhaps a Classic Comic Reprint collection, with a different key issue every time? I'm not sure how commercially viable it would be but it's an interesting idea.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Relaunching Big Comic Fortnightly or the BVC or something similar along those lines would be a wonderful thing.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s