Collecting Long runs

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Collecting Long runs

Post by philcom55 »

colcool007 wrote:I had the Horror special, but forgot to pick up the Romance Special at the time. Took me ages to get hold of it on Ebay.
...Ahhh, but did you also get the extra 47 issues that were only ever published in Wales??? :P

- Phil Rushton

chrissmillie

Collecting Long runs

Post by chrissmillie »

Much derided that comic (Revolver) but I think it was wonderful. Nothing better than the two Specials in the whole of comic history IMHO.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:
colcool007 wrote:I had the Horror special, but forgot to pick up the Romance Special at the time. Took me ages to get hold of it on Ebay.
...Ahhh, but did you also get the extra 47 issues that were only ever published in Wales??? :P

- Phil Rushton
LOL. I knew there was a welcome in the valleys, but being in Scotland, the Druids and the Celts rarely comunicated! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

colcool007 wrote:I knew there was a welcome in the valleys, but being in Scotland, the Druids and the Celts rarely comunicated! :lol:
Well, bearing in mind that you got that exclusive trial run of Vulcan (not to mention an extra year of the Poll Tax) it would've only been fair! :D

- Phil Rushton

Cap Haggis

Collecting Long runs

Post by Cap Haggis »

Wow there are some amazing collections in there - was particularly interested to hear about the 47 extra issues of Revolver, thats some run makes you think there may be a good case to focus sales of comics at a regional basis (how it lasted 47 isues in Wales and not the whole of the UK is amazing) - I swapped my Scottish editions of "Vulcan" not knowing they were only on sale in Scotland (swapped them for 3 Neal Adams Batmans form 1970) - I had every issue of Mighty World of Marvel (even the really crappy issues and there were loads of them) the Avengers and Spiderman (uk editions) up till thew weeklys ended - But rarely kept large collections of UK comics except ones with Leo Baxendale and Ken Reid and books like Warrior House of Hammer etc - I really only collect the ODHAMS big 3 (WHAM SMASH and Pow) and look for 168-1971 Busters, Lions Valliants or the odd issue here and there that that interests me but its mostly nostalga re UK comics for me - I tend to follow artists work. Has anyone else gathered hundreds of comics (UK, US etc) that are of no use to them but dont want to throw them out- or is that just me?????
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Cap Haggis wrote:was particularly interested to hear about the 47 extra issues of Revolver
Ulp! :oops: Sorry Cap, I'm afraid that was just my idea of a joke (hence the smiley). I honestly never expected that anybody would take it seriously!

- All the Best, Phil Rushton :roll:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:
Cap Haggis wrote:was particularly interested to hear about the 47 extra issues of Revolver
Ulp! :oops: Sorry Cap, I'm afraid that was just my idea of a joke (hence the smiley). I honestly never expected that anybody would take it seriously!

- All the Best, Phil Rushton :roll:

He he! Careful Phil, that's how the myth about a Terrific Annual must have started! :wink:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Cap Haggis

Collecting Long runs

Post by Cap Haggis »

Hi Lew - Ooooops sorry me thick to many deep fried Mars Bars - I suppose I should have sussed that out lol :oops:

Cap Haggis

Collecting Long runs

Post by Cap Haggis »

Oooops sorry again I should have sent that to PHILCOM as he was the evil perpetrator of this ruse lol :oops: :oops:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I thought I had a lot of comics but reading on here recently what people's collections contain I'm just a novice!

Apart from the comics I've been published in, my UK collection mainly consists of the Odhams comics, TV 21, Countdown, TV Action, first 200 or so 2000 AD's, a lot of Valiants, selected issues of lots of other titles.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:I thought I had a lot of comics but reading on here recently what people's collections contain I'm just a novice!

Apart from the comics I've been published in, my UK collection mainly consists of the Odhams comics, TV 21, Countdown, TV Action, first 200 or so 2000 AD's, a lot of Valiants, selected issues of lots of other titles.

Lew
Yes, but as you actually get your stuff printed, then that counts double! :lol:

Captain Storm

Collecting Long runs

Post by Captain Storm »

ColCool,check your PM,all the best,the Cap.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Collecting Long runs

Post by colcool007 »

Just to prod a little bit of life back into this thread :lol: How many here has found that since they went online, they have bought more comics than they did prior to finding the internet?

I know that I have as it was so difficult to find most comics that I was willing to pay silly prices, just so that I could get comic X or Y. An example being ?3 for an old issue of 2000AD whereas now, you are unlucky if you pay more than that for an early issue!

Peter Gray

Collecting Long runs

Post by Peter Gray »

I became a collector again when comicsuk and fleetway street from toonhound on the internet..
also ebay.......and addresses from comicsuk of comic shops opened new doors...

so the internet really did wake me up.....

Earl

Collecting Long runs

Post by Earl »

Well it was almost impossible for me (Staffordshire) to collect UK comics for a while. Having migrated from Hey Diddle Diddle and Playhour aged 4/5 to Star Wars Weekly aged 10 and by age 12/13 most of my friends were getting out of comics. I swapped my Subbeuto and other stuff for their comics and so long runs of Roy of The Rovers, The Beano, The Dandy and The Beezer came into my collection. In the 80's I continued to build the collection from Jumble Sales. By the late 80's it became almost impossible to fill the gaps in my UK titles. I had gotten into DC comics in a big way in 1982 first titles like Arak, All Star Squadron and the Teen Titans, so I worked on my DC collection for much of the 90's (I have amassed 18,000 different American DC's).
When I got online in the 90?s there seemed to be an abundance of comics for sale as e-bay took off (quality UK material seems to be dwindling from the heyday) so I filled in lots of gaps in my original 70?s/80?s collection.
I don?t have anything like the quality of a full Buster collection. My best UK full sets are Star Wars Weekly and it?s successor Return of the Jedi. I am closing in on Spider-Man and Mighty World of Marvel. My biggest full set will be Eagle Weekly (The 80?s/90?s version) once I find the last couple of weekly issues I need.

I would buy a lot more comics if not for the problems of storing them, although that should ease soon as I am having a comic room built onto the house.

Earl.