Collecting Long runs

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Earl

Collecting Long runs

Post by Earl »

Is anyone trying for, or has completed full sets of any of the really long running series? Beano, Buster, Dandy, Commando, Whizzer and Chips etc. Does anyone go for full sets or is it more about picking up odd issues for a nostalgia trip?

Earl.

Captain Storm

Collecting Long runs

Post by Captain Storm »

If a character sticks in your mind then you would try and collect all of the issues he appeared in.If that character spans several different publications such as Starhawk,(about 7 so far!)then it can be tough!Then you rely on the generosity of folk here at the forum.For my own part and money being the obsticle,I would like a complete run of VULCAN,TOBY,WILDCAT,..I could go on!!! :lol: You must also take into account that the cost of postage can far outweigh :twisted: the cost of purchase! My dream is to see all the runs,from IPC,Fleetway,DC Thomson et al digitised before they crumble to dust :cry:

Peter Gray

Collecting Long runs

Post by Peter Gray »

I tried to with Jackpot...Nutty...Whizzer and chips...Beano's late 70's 80's..90's...Dandy 80's..90's...

Also with Whoopee...Wow...

Buster from 1980 to 1990..

When you go to collect the early 70's.....60's...50's...its beyond my price range......I often go for annuals instead...and Classics from the comics annuals and comics...

My era is the 80's....my childhood..

:D
The flat is filled with comics......storage is a problem.....I always read my comics to justify keeping them :)

Lew Stringer

Re: Collecting Long runs

Post by Lew Stringer »

Earl wrote:Is anyone trying for, or has completed full sets of any of the really long running series? Beano, Buster, Dandy, Commando, Whizzer and Chips etc. Does anyone go for full sets or is it more about picking up odd issues for a nostalgia trip?

Earl.

I'm sure there are people who have collected full sets of Commando and 2000 AD because those have more of a loyal following.

I had Whizzer and Chips for the first ten years or so then threw them out because I knew I'd never read them again. The only comics I tend to go back and read again are those of my childhood, the sixties, so I've managed to acquire an almost full run of TV Century 21 and the Odhams comics. As for The Dandy, I just focused on getting a complete run from the first year I read it, 1964, which was the most memorable for me, with just a few odd issues from the later sixties and early seventies.

So to answer your final point, it's nostalgia that's been a driving force in my collecting habits. Having said that, I also like the DC Showcase books which reprint sixties stories that I've never read before, because I particularly like that late fifties/early sixties DC era of comics which had great clarity in their scripts and artwork.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

rod2402

Collecting Long runs

Post by rod2402 »

I'm into full sets and long runs and I usually don't read any until I have a decent run. I have a full set of 2000ad and of Eagle ( the 1982 version ). I thought I had a full set of Battle but on checking recently I'm missing 1 issue ( 10 July 1982 if anyone can help ). Space is a problem also finding the time to read them all. Of the other's I collect I'll keep going as long as I can so I hope to get full sets eventually.

I didn't start out with this in mind but I made a list of everything I had and once I did this and could see the gaps I was hooked. You have to remember it's only money.

Cap Haggis

Collecting Long runs

Post by Cap Haggis »

I tend to collect British comics along the same lines as Lew, ie comics from my childhood in particular the ODHAMS books (SMASH, POW and WHAM, ealry Beanos, Busters, Lions and Valliants) mostly any other collecting is down to my collecting the work of my favourite ARTISTS (mostly from my childhood again) such as Ken Reid (genius) Leo Baxendale, Dudley Watkins and of any strips /storylines I followed) again from mid late 60s to 1973ish) such as particular stories of Adam Eterno, House of Dollman etc in general small runs of comics - USA comics I tend to follow artists I love (Neal Adams, Vaughn Bode, Aragones, John Severin, Frank Robbins, John Romita Snr, Dan Decarlo, Bruce Timm etc) with the odd title thrown in. Whole runs of books look good to collect but in general most tend to have long run of mediocre art/strips for me , as an adult , to collect.
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Collecting Long runs

Post by colcool007 »

I'm into long runs. Most collections are nowhere near complete. Have a full set of Warlord annuals, although really light on the comics. I like nothing better than just grabbing a wadge off one of the shelves and reading a full year's worth of one comic or another. While space can be an issue, I am fortunate in having a fellow panelologist for a wife! :lol: Books may come and go, but the comics are here to stay!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Peter Gray

Collecting Long runs

Post by Peter Gray »

I also like the DC Showcase books which reprint sixties stories that I've never read before, because I particularly like that late fifties/early sixties DC era of comics which had great clarity in their scripts and artwork.
Which ones have you got.....I love these as well..
I have Superman vol 1 and 2
Green Lantern vol 1
Justice L. of America vol 1
Superman Family vol 1

Looking forward to September for Batman vol 1 and Challenges of the unknown (Jack Kirby) vol 1

Cap Haggis

Collecting Long runs

Post by Cap Haggis »

I have JLA Vol 1 which is very good. I would love to see DC (and Marvel) produce similr books reprinting some of the humour lines such as PLOP!, Binky, THree Mouseketeers, Fox and Crow, Timmy the Ghost even the Dan Decarlo Millie the Model work or even strips like Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis etc some great humour strips form the 50w - 70s thats been ignored - I heard that DC may be doing the entire run of FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL which had some nice work from Kirby, Ditko Frandon etc
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Collecting Long runs

Post by steelclaw »

I had full runs of
JET
THUNDER

Then I continued to collect for 3 more years.
Buster and jet
Lion and Thunder

I had 3 years of
WIZARD 1970-73

But sadly threw them in a skip when I moved 17 years ago, I still have nightmares about doing that. :cry: :cry:
I could have got them all back again from ebay, I have the full year of 1972 for Lion and Thunder.

Richard S.

Collecting Long runs

Post by Richard S. »

I?m a collector of Fleetway titles that started after I was born (except 2000AD) so, with the exception of the new Eagle I tend to be a collector of short runs of comics (Ring Raiders, Super Naturals, Scream). Still satisfying to collect them and yeah I tend to wait until I?ve got the set before reading them.

Richard S.

Mark

Collecting Long runs

Post by Mark »

Hello,

Its a bit of an obsessive disorder I have when it comes to comics...here goes...

Buster - missing about 30 issues all in
Cheeky - missing 2 issues
Cor - complete run
Jackpot - complete run
Giggle - missing about 10 issues
Plug - missing about 10 issues
Oink - complete run
Shiver and Shake - complete run
Monster Fun - complete run
Whizzer and Chips - comlpete run
Whoopee - complete run
Nutty - missing a couple of issues
Smash - complete run
Wham - complete run
Pow - complete run

Throw in a few years worth of Beano, Dandy, Big Comic, Funny, Sparky, Beezer, Topper and a few other odds and sods and you can guess that my bookshelves are creaking!!!

And then there's the annuals...

Just as well I've got an understanding missus...

Cheers!
Mark

Earl

Collecting Long runs

Post by Earl »

Glad I asked the question now. Really impressed with some of the collections.

Earl.

Lew Stringer

Re: Collecting Long runs

Post by Lew Stringer »

Mark wrote: Smash - complete run
Wham - complete run
Pow - complete run

Mark

You've beaten me on those. I've got one issue missing from Smash's run and a few dozen missing from the Wham run. Impressive collection you have!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Collecting Long runs

Post by Peter Gray »

Buster - missing about 30 issues all in
Cheeky - missing 2 issues
Cor - complete run
Jackpot - complete run
Giggle - missing about 10 issues
Plug - missing about 10 issues
Oink - complete run
Shiver and Shake - complete run
Monster Fun - complete run
Whizzer and Chips - comlpete run
Whoopee - complete run
Nutty - missing a couple of issues
Smash - complete run
Wham - complete run
Pow - complete run

Amazing.....can i be your friend love to read some of those :D ........have you read them all :shock: 8) I've got piles of comics to read myself.....I'm amazed at your Buster collection.........I am amazed.......gob smacked!!! Do you keep the comics free or in plastic bags......I only bag the 1960's comics....