The Return of Look & Learn

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Nobody interested in the history of British comics can afford to miss this:

http://www.lookandlearn.com/index.php

In my opinion it already features the best showcase of classic British artwork around - and the site hasn't even been officially launched yet!

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phil,
I was on that site only a few days ago and it is fantastic. I can't recommend it highly enough to those of us that are fans of the retro-Uk scene. It is a lesson to all of us on how to do an in-depth website about a comic that we loved.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

Wow what a stunning site, some amount of work must have gone into that (on par with this site) I couldn't see any ref to Trigan Empire strip though (although that could be down to myself - not the cleverest at navigating websites) which would be good to see - but some amazing artwork - I rarely got Look and Learn as a kid as I wasn't one of the clever people (always seemed to be the smart kids that got that - no wonder what a brilliant informatative and intersting mag - my loss)
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Shaqui

Re: The Return of Look & Learn

Post by Shaqui »

Cap Haggis wrote: I couldn't see any ref to Trigan Empire strip though (although that could be down to myself - not the cleverest at navigating websites)
Their licensing page states:

"Excluding the rights to certain comic strips (notably 'The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire') which have been retained by IPC Media Ltd, we now own the rights to the following magazines, listed here in chronological order: The Children's Newspaper (1919-65), Robin (1953-69), Swift (1954-63), Jack and Jill (1954-85), Playhour (1954-87), Harold Hare (1959-64), Look and Learn (1962-82), Treasure (1963-71), Teddy Bear (1963-73), The Bible Story (1964), Ranger (1965-66), Once Upon a Time (1969-73), Speed and Power (1974-75), and World of Knowledge (1980-81). Look and Learn also owns the rights to the annuals and other books associated with these magazines, and the annuals and books for the magazines Tell Me Why and World of Wonder. "

Regulars here will be pleased to know Steve Holland is archivist, and has been working on the project for about a year so far.

Definitely a site to watch!

8) :D

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

Thanks Shaqui I didn't see that section still as you say its a great site.
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://www.lookandlearn.com/
Amazing pictures.love to see this type of thing in the Beano and Dandy annuals again......or even the comics

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Been on the site a few times.Should become something of a comics institution.Much like here :P Congrats to their archivist Steve Holland.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its great to see IPC past shown in such a wonderful way.....and the possible reprint magazines.....of the best of Look and Learn.....

'Hugh McNeill' draws Harold Hares and meet the beans from Playhour in the 60's and 70's. Its interesting see who drew what. The website doesn't know who drew the elephant with the long nose...Pinkie Puff....can anyone help them?

Now if someone could purchase the funnies of IPC.....Faceache...Frankie Stein..and did the same thing....
Last edited by Peter Gray on 24 Aug 2006, 22:46, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Yeah,wouldn't it be great!It looks like this is the only way we're gonna see our old favourites back in print.The big firms don't seem to be too interested in exploiting their back catalogue,yet guard it with their very lives :?:
I understand they don't own all the copyright,but could hold payment in lieu for any artist they can't get hold of.Otherwise,apart from those who possess the original issues and us here on the forum,these gems of the past are going to be forgotten for ever.What a shame and a complete waste of an archive.