Anyone any info about this

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Munchies97

Anyone any info about this

Post by Munchies97 »

Found this is a box of books and comics I have been working through but can't find any info online about what it is. It's about 3" high by 8" long

lets see if this works it is a cartoon strip book called The Adventures of Jasper by Walkden Fisher published by Ellison Hawks Ltd Victoria House Southport
Attachments
jasper comic (800x315).jpg
jasper2 (800x327).jpg
Last edited by Munchies97 on 19 Dec 2016, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Re: Anyone any info about this

Post by Digifiend »

You're trying to link to photos in your emails. They're only visible when logged into your email account, you need to re-upload them somewhere else.
He began his artistic career illustrating books written by Ellison Hawks, a Hull-born journalist and photographer who had worked as advertising manager for Meccano Ltd. and then as a general editor for Amalgamated Press and editor of The Dog Owner. Hawks had been producing dozens of books on science, astronomy and aircraft since around 1910 and Fisher's association with him lasted for over a decade. Ellison Hawks, who lived in Ainsdale, Southport, published a number of books himself which Fisher illustrated, including a reprint of a comic strip, 'Jasper', which he had produced for a local newspaper or magazine.
https://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2006/1 ... isher.html

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

It's a reprint book of a newspaper strip,"The Dog Owner" by Walkden Fisher.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Well I can't see them anyway because access to the specified resource (that being your two links) has been forbidden. However, size and shapewise it sounds like the Mary Mouse books in the forties, and those about Gobo, or Mr Tumpy, or Clicky the Clockwork Clown, that Enid Blyton used to trot out in the early Fifties.

Munchies97

Post by Munchies97 »

Will try again in a bit on laptop can't make it work on iPad sorry :cry:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And thanks to Munchies, I have now found out a bit about an artist that I had not heard of before. The scary bit is that the only online information about Walkden Fisher is on Steve Holland's fantastic blog. And thanks to Paw Broon, I now know that this was published as a newspaper comic strip first.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Munchies97

Post by Munchies97 »

Colcool007 shall I throw that one in the bundle as well :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Munchies97 wrote:Colcool007 shall I throw that one in the bundle as well :D
Oh gods Munchies, stop it! You have broken me fiscally. You can chuck in anything comic related from here on in and I will love it. I wish that I had the money to cover my love of comics but I will settle for what I can get and being envious of those that get the special stuff!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Munchies97

Post by Munchies97 »

Phoenix wrote:Well I can't see them anyway because access to the specified resource (that being your two links) has been forbidden. However, size and shapewise it sounds like the Mary Mouse books in the forties, and those about Gobo, or Mr Tumpy, or Clicky the Clockwork Clown, that Enid Blyton used to trot out in the early Fifties.

I do have half a dozen Mary Mouse books from my mum I loved them when I was little :D

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Interesting style of drawing and with the same quirkiness, although WF'S work seems more animated, as Alan Fraser's mad strips
https://www.lambiek.net/artists/f/fraser_alan.htm
The info beneath the panels is wrong as the titles quoted were published by Soloway.
Are they one and the same? Or am I hallucinating again? :D

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Interesting to see his early cartoon style. I remember Walkden Fisher best for his highly realistic cutaway drawings in Eagle (and his distinctive fish-shaped signature). I Think he also built models that were used as reference by Frank Hampson's Dan Dare team.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

He did indeed build the models for the Dan Dare team
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

maxcousens

Post by maxcousens »

Hi there, I realise this was posted a while ago. I have the original pen and ink comic strip drawings from this comic. I am interested in purchasing a comic if anyone has a version. 'The Adventures of Jasper by Walkden Fisher'