Complete runs of comics on DVD

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Lew Stringer

Re: Complete runs of comics on DVD

Post by Lew Stringer »

paw broon wrote:Lew says, companies (incl. Rebellion) are " reprinting the classics." and making the suggestion that dvd scans are the reason that these "classics" are no longer being published. Perhaps the fact that some of the Rebellion collections to come are not very good, or not very appealing to many fans and collectors, never mind the general public, is more of a reason. I have to say that One-Eyed Jack doesn't appeal to me, nor does most of the material in Action, for example, and I also don't find it and other Action strips particularly well done, being, as they are not that well written and with art that does nothing for me. Sort of shock for shock's sake. That apart from most Action material being very derivative of movies/tv shows that never tickled my fancy.
Nor do I have scans of One-Eyed Jack.
One-Eyed Jack was in Valiant, not Action.

Obviously I wasn't suggesting anyone should buy collections of strips they don't like.
paw broon wrote:So I wont buy the collection and I don't think that strip can be considered a classic. Buying a book that I don't fancy isn't a brilliant idea. I will, however, rush out and buy The Leopard of Lime Street, a strip I find highly entertaining.
At the Edinburgh Con the other weekend, I bought, among many physical comics, the Big Finish Avengers book - from Deadhead, a local comic shop. So good. Well put together, well printed and quite, quite charming. But i have no idea how well it is selling, although it might do weel because of the tie-in with the audio versions Big Finish produce. I have and have had for a few years, some quality scans of the strips, but I prefer the physical book. It comes down to personal taste in the end, and for Rebellion and other publishers, if the public don't buy the book, it could well be because they just aren't interested and know nothing about comics.
Very true, but that applies to most collections of strips. For example, the material that Yoe Books publish in the USA isn't exactly on the public's radar. (1950s horror/love stories.) There's no doubt that such books are aimed at comic fans, not Joe Bloggs, but thankfully that doesn't deter Craig Yoe from doing them. (But it's nice if Joe Bloggs shows an interest too.) My point was specifically about fans who would rather buy / download pirated comics instead of supporting those actual comics/collections. (In the case of the Yoe Books material, it's all public domain and a lot is online legally already, but enough fans still support those books because they're well produced and look better than any online jpeg.)

paw broon wrote:The Frank Quitely exhibition at Kelvingrove has received huge levels of publicity in places you would never think would cover such a show. Because joe public knows DC Thomson, Superman, Batman, X-Men. The afore-mentioned joe public knows nothing or next to nothing about One-Eyed Jack. Very little to do with dvd scans of old comics.
Publishers shy away from reprinting old comic strips because they don't sell well unless they are mainstream. Notice the titles Titan are reprinting. They might well get away with "classic" X-Men but not "classic" One-Eyed Jack, or TNT Tom, or Billy the Cat, or The Silent Three, or Ace Hart and on and on.........
Titan don't reprint Marvel material. You're thinking of Panini. Titan are reprinting Hook Jaw, and have reprinted Darkie's Mob, Major Eazy, etc. Not exactly on the public's radar either, but still profitable enough to do.

paw broon wrote: To any of the other members who are interested, don't buy the dvd scans. The material that is pd is readily available for free on any number of sites. And the stuff that is not, leave it alone if it worries you. Or, better still, instead of some of you complaining, write to ebay, trading standards, organisers of marts and cons, pointing out your concerns - and keep doing it. You never know. If you feel strongly stop moaning and start pushing.
Talking about stuff is easy, doing something about is work.
How do you know people aren't doing that?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID
Location: Reading comics since 1969. Collecting them since 1975.

Post by SID »

Phoenix wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I would pay 50 quid or more for a quality reprint book of I SPY [the black-and-white pages] even although I have decent copies of the original comics.
That doesn't make any sense to me, Rab. Why on earth would you do that? When I bought the book containing all the instalments of The Avengers from Diana it was because I didn't have any of them, they hardly ever get advertised for sale, and when they do emerge onto the market they are prohibitively expensive. Also I needed to read them for a project I'm working on without having to go down to London to consult them in the British Library.
I can understand why ISpy would do that, Phoenix. For example, I have a full set of 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine comics but I still went out and bought Judge Dredd's Origins & Mechanismo graphic novels. I love those stories which I re-read from tme to time. So having the books is a lot more convenient then having to plough through piles of comics. Yes, £50 seems expensive but then again it depends on how big a fan you are and how many printed pages you get for your pound.
My Comics:
2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), MAD (2016-), Brawler (2019-), The77 (2020-), SHIFT (2020-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sorry I just noticed Phoenixs' reply about why would I re-buy material I already have?

I have all the I SPY material I desire in good condition Phoenix and it is well looked after, I even move the comics when I am off on holiday in case of flooding, etc.

However! I keep meaning to scan every page of early I SPY in hi-rez [say 60 dpp] and cleaning up the yellows/ brighten the whites/ blacken the blacks etc--I have done test pieces on this and the results are noticably superior: outside of the actual original inkings, I could have the best copies of I Spy on the planet, although the process of doing this takes time on an image manipulation program. I know how to do it: it is a case of finding the time.

As Sid is suggesting, if a publisher can find the original inkings and strike brand new superior printings, this would save me a lot of bother, and it would well be worth 50 quid or more [to me, an ardent life-long fan] to see the results.

There is not enough I Spy fans out there to justify this investment though.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Above: a restoration example I done on I Spy: image quality on here does not really do it justice but believe me the difference between this and the original comic version is very noticable.

The original comic in its raw state---and this is a good-condition copy.

Yes it would be easy just to alter the treshhold on this to get it white but it looks terribly 'computerized' and not nearly as good as a 'proper' restoration job:

Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 04 May 2017, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:So having the books is a lot more convenient then having to plough through piles of comics.
I appreciate the convenience aspect, Sid, but for me there is still something magical about reading serial stories in instalments, as they first appeared, and in the comics where they first appeared. Reliving the original experience you might say.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:There is not enough I Spy fans out there to justify this investment though.
Well there's you and Alan for starters. You'll just have to go forth and multiply. Separately of course. :lol:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Very droll my good man--very droll

Me and Alan have never actually met despite our surnames and shared I Spy fervour.

Our relationship is purely centred around Sparky comic and it ends there!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As I've finally got my computer up and running again - some local problem with Virgin - I've had a read at the most recent comments. I enjoy reading comics on a tablet and find I pay just as much attention to them as I do with a physical comic. But as some scans aren't of the highest quality, especially those old American comics scanned from fiches, when I can get the hard copy, I will. Despite my use of digital, I prefer, on balance to have a book I can hold, touch, smell - and some of those older comics do have a particular aroma - and turn real paper pages - preferably old newsprint. But using a tablet or computer in the evening or late at night is a bad idea as the blue light can cause sleep problems.
I have some of those dvd sets but they are copies of the dvds that a friend gave me on a thumb drive. And, most weren't a lot of use to me as they were American pd collections which are freely, legally available on a number of sites and which I had. Just chancers nicking free material and charging for it. Actually, I noticed a couple of my own scans in the mix :roll:
As examples, this week I've heard from Waterstones that my tpb of Scarlet Traces is now in stock, so that's good; I bought the EYE tpb reprinting all The Eye stories incl. Heroes vs Hitler - good fun nonsense and entertaining superheroes; I've just downloaded 2 issues of Raka, a Dutch lilliput form the '50's - I already had a "real" copy of #9 and these 2 are #3 and #8; and an ancient Spanish landscape comic from the '40's, El Juramento Sagrado - now I have to search for some info. on it :D
Digital scans online enable me and many others to learn about comics history, both here and in other countries and I have a particular interest at present in Spanish comics history - it's vast. I have noticed at recent marts and cons that DVD scans have been noticeable by their absence but one infamous dealer who has been punting them for years, is rumoured to be attending this year's Braehead con. We shall see.

SID
Location: Reading comics since 1969. Collecting them since 1975.

Post by SID »

Phoenix wrote:
SID wrote:So having the books is a lot more convenient then having to plough through piles of comics.
I appreciate the convenience aspect, Sid, but for me there is still something magical about reading serial stories in instalments, as they first appeared, and in the comics where they first appeared. Reliving the original experience you might say.
You won't get an argument from me, Phoenix. But I don't think that either is mutually exclusive. Ditto for DVDs and paper (though I prefer the paper option).
My Comics:
2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), MAD (2016-), Brawler (2019-), The77 (2020-), SHIFT (2020-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

For those who do enjoy reading comics digitally, I hope you won't mind me using this opportunity to plug Aces Weekly, the ongoing digital anthology with all-new stories every Monday. A wide range of creators have contributed over the years, including John McCrea, David Lloyd, David Leach, and myself. Only £6.99 for seven weekly issues.
http://www.acesweekly.co.uk

abacus

Post by abacus »

Reading previous comments there seems to be some contradiction regarding rebellion reprints on the one hand the thought being that the strips would be unknown to Joe Blogs and wouldn't sell very well and on the other hand they would be so popular people would be rushing to buy them illegally on dvds. I would have thought most people would prefer the books as loading dvds is more time consuming for this want it now generation.
I regard reading old U.K. comic strips now as an adult as a nostalgia thing rather than compelling reading.
Here is a quote from OVER 50 YEARS OF AMERICAN COMIC BOOKS by Ron Goulart

'World War 11 made comic book readers of GI's and inspired a dramatic change in comic book content'

and again there is also mention of similar comic interest during the vietnam war as a reminder of home.
See the difference?U.S comics can still be as entertaining to adults as well as children where as U.K.comics were solely aimed at children.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:U.S comics can still be as entertaining to adults as well as children whereas U.K.comics were solely aimed at children.
That may well be true, abacus, but it is by no means the whole truth. I'm not qualified to comment on American comics as although I own a shedload I have never really read any of them. I'll have to leave it to others therefore to agree or disagree with your view on the range of people who are entertained by them. However, I would have thought that a few moments of reflection just on the many adult members of this forum, whose reading of the many British comics created for children still gives them immense pleasure, and presumably will continue to do so for the rest of their lives, would give you cause to reconsider that comment. I can't speak for all, obviously, but I know of a number who have responsible jobs, yet in their downtime read comics. I don't need to list names although I'm quite prepared to put myself forward as one of them. Yes, I know I'm retired but that just gives me more time to read my comics than I used to have, and of course to write about them.

abacus

Post by abacus »

I was making a general observation in U.S. comics for instance women are portrayed more sexually where in the U.K. apart from girls comics women hardly feature at all and after all they do exist :D
Women were not only portrayed in the american pin-up sense but often featured in many storylines and I would call that a more adult reading approach.Superman had stories involving Lois Lane .The Daily Mirror featured JANE and BELINDA but these characters never entered mainstream U.K childrens and teenagers comics.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I found the 60s Batwoman/ Catwoman in the USA Batman comics very sexy as a kid in a way you just hardly ever saw if at all in the UK stuff at that time.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think war comics have always attracted more adult readers on both sides of the Atlantic, and that still applies to Commando today. The main difference between British and American comics in other genres is that we were always a lot more successful in producing titles aimed specifically at girls and women. Everybody knows that boys of a certain age have very little tolerance for 'soppy' stuff involving the hero's love interest so it's hardly surprising that comics like Valiant and Victor steered clear of this!